Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Unexpected Argument list too long error on later os level Post 302989022 by stomp on Friday 6th of January 2017 10:43:50 AM
Old 01-06-2017
You can restrict the number of args used by xargs used for one target call.

Code:
... | xargs -n 50 ....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Argument list too long - Shell error

Trying to tar specific files from a directory causes problems when the number of files is too large. ls ~/logs | wc -l 5928 In the logs directory - I have 5928 files If I want to include all files with today's date - I run the following command tar cf ~/archive/LoadLogs_20060302.tar... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dad5119
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

TAR Files Argument list too long error

Hi, I have a requirement where I need to TAR more than 50K files. Even though I can do TAR successfully on few 100s of files, but whenever Im trying to TAR the entire 50K files, I am getting the error message : Argument List Too Long. Please suggest how can i avoid this error. Im... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unx100
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

"Argument list too long" error

Hi everyone, I have a problem with my shell script. As a quick overview I need to change a template file 6561 times and copy the file into a new catalogue. Thanks to your forum I have managed to write a script to do so: #!/bin/sh template=$1 for values in {45,165,285}\ {45,165,285}\... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mario8eren
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Argument too long list error

I have a wrote a script which consits of the below line.. Below of this script I'm getting this error "ksh: /usr/bin/ls: arg list too long" The line is log_file_time=`ssh -i $HOME/.ssh/id_rsa -q $i ls -lrt /bp/karthik/test/data/log/$abc*|tail -1|awk '{print $8}'` And $abc alias is as "p |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 22karthikreddy
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Argument list too long problem

I have a huge set of files (with extension .common) in my directory around 2 million. When I run this script on my Linux with BASH, I get /bin/awk: Argument list too long awk -F'\t' ' NR == FNR { a=NR } NR != FNR { sub(".common", "", FILENAME) print a, FILENAME, $1 } '... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Argument list too long!!

Dear Experts, I have a list of 10K files in a directory. I am not able to execute any commands lile ls -lrt, awk, sed, mv, etc........ I wanna execute below command and get the output. How can I achieve it?? Pls help. root# awk -F'|' '$1 == 1' file_20120710* | wc -l /bin/awk: Argument list... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Naga06
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep : Argument list too long

Hi, i am having some trouble with the below command, can some one suggest me the better way to do it. grep -l 'ReturnCode=1' `find $Log -newer /tmp/Failed.tmp -print | xargs ls -ld | egrep SUB | egrep -ve 'MTP' -ve 'ABC' -ve 'DEF' -ve 'JKL' -ve 'XYZ' | awk '{print $9}'` > $Home1 Its... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prateek007
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

mv : Argument list too long

Hi I am using find command -- find "directory1" -type f | xargs -i mv {} "directory2" to avoid above argument list too long problem. But, issue i am facing is directory1 is having subdirectories due to this i am facing directory traversal problem as i dont want to traverse subdirectories... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: VSom007
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Argument list too long w/ sed

Hi all, I am using GNU sed (named gsed under macports) in OSX. I have a directory with a series of files named pool_01.jpg through pool_78802.jpg. I am trying to use this command to rename the files to their checksum + extension. md5sum * | gsed -e 's/\(*\) \(.*\(\..*\)\)$/mv -v \2 \1\3/e' ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: openthomas
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Argument list too long

Hi Team, Here's the situation. I have approximately 300000 to 500000 jpg files in /appl/abcd/work_dir mv /appl/abcd/work_dir /appl/abcd/process_dir The above move command will work if the jpg files count is close to 50000 (not sure). If the count is less this mv command holds good. But if... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
14 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)