Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to insert the content of a file into another file? Post 302988913 by itkamaraj on Thursday 5th of January 2017 03:53:06 AM
Old 01-05-2017
Code:
paste file1 file2

Code:
$ awk 'NR==FNR{a[NR]=$0;next}{print a[FNR],$0}' file1 file2
1 text1
2 text2
3 text3
4 text4

This User Gave Thanks to itkamaraj For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert file content via sed after two searchings

Hi folks, The file webcache.xml contains a lot sections which begins and ends with the string </CACHEABILITYRULE>. The section In need to deel with is: </CACHEABILITYRULE> <CACHEABILITYRULE NAME="cache swf" CACHE="YES" COMMENT="This rule caches all .swf files. This... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nir_s
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract content from a file and insert to another file

please help for the following task... I have to extract the mac address & IP address from the file1: ... 0100004512EEF4 03 192.168.0.7 192.168.0.1 -1 ... 0100779hF5D212 03 192.168.0.8 192.168.0.1 -1 ... 0100789lF5D212 03 192.168.0.9 192.168.0.1 -1 ... ... change the format (addidng... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredao
15 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert content of a file after a certain line in another file

Hi, it's my first post to this forum. I just started bash and I'm stuck at one issue. I want to include content of a file in another file after a certain line. I'm using sed for inserting one line but how to insert all content of a file ? For example i have a file list.txt with a few lines and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ktm
4 Replies

4. Programming

[SQL] Insert content file to mysql

dear all, i want to insert string in file to mysql i just want how to do that cause i am poor in sql languages ... so this file like this DATA.txt doni|student|westjava|123412|lombok| iwan|student|westjava|1234412|utankayu| rio|student|westjava|12342|cempedak| so i want insert DATA.txt to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zvtral
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert content of a file into another file before given pattern

I need to insert file x2 into x1 right before first BBB line. $ cat x1 AAA 1 AAA 2 AAA 3 BBB 1 BBB 2 BBB 3 $ cat x2 XXX - insert 1 XXX - insert 2 I need to get AAA 1 AAA 2 AAA 3 XXX - insert 1 XXX - insert 2 BBB 1 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: migurus
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert content of a file to another file at a line number which is given by third file

Hi friends, here is my problem. I have three files like this.. cat file1.txt ======= unix is best unix is best linux is best unix is best linux is best linux is best unix is best unix is best cat file2.txt ======== Windows performs better Mac OS performs better Windows... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jagadeesh Kumar
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert content of file before the first occurrence of a line starts with a pattern in another file

Hi all, I'm new to scripting.. facing some problems while inserting content of a file into another file... I want to insert content of a file (file2) into file1, before first occurrence of "line starts with pattern" in file1 file1 ====== working on linux its unix world working on... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jagadeesh Kumar
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert content of a file right after pattern in another file

suppose i have original file: original.txt: hello how are you you are wonderful what time is it I went to the store last night. and some apple juice then i have another file: anotherfile.txt: with my friends mary, john and harry. We had a great time. We bought food Suppose... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Insert content from file 1 to file 2 in specific criteria meet

Hi , I'm looking for some code that can copy and paste form file1 to file2 with 2 criterial meet. file1: test "sp-j1" test "sp-j2" test "sp-j3" test "sp-j4" file2: sub Pre_Shorts1 (Status_Code, Message$) global Status !if Message$ <> "" then print... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kttan
3 Replies
comm(1) 							   User Commands							   comm(1)

NAME
comm - select or reject lines common to two files SYNOPSIS
comm [-123] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The comm utility reads file1 and file2, which must be ordered in the current collating sequence, and produces three text columns as output: lines only in file1; lines only in file2; and lines in both files. If the input files were ordered according to the collating sequence of the current locale, the lines written will be in the collating sequence of the original lines. If not, the results are unspecified. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -1 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file1. -2 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file2. -3 Suppresses the output column of lines duplicated in file1 and file2. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file1 A path name of the first file to be compared. If file1 is -, the standard input is used. file2 A path name of the second file to be compared. If file2 is -, the standard input is used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of comm when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 Printing a list of utilities specified by files If file1, file2, and file3 each contain a sorted list of utilities, the command example% comm -23 file1 file2 | comm -23 - file3 prints a list of utilities in file1 not specified by either of the other files. The entry: example% comm -12 file1 file2 | comm -12 - file3 prints a list of utilities specified by all three files. And the entry: example% comm -12 file2 file3 | comm -23 -file1 prints a list of utilities specified by both file2 and file3, but not specified in file1. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of comm: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were successfully output as specified. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), sort(1), uniq(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 3 Mar 2004 comm(1)