Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Need help for iptables rules
Special Forums Cybersecurity Need help for iptables rules Post 302988734 by Thomas342 on Sunday 1st of January 2017 11:30:10 AM
Old 01-01-2017
Are you trying to harden your box for a reason? A lot of linux boxes have special apps to help you. What OS and version of it do you have?
uname -a will show that, so please post it.

No but you can't be too careful. And sometimes my laptop is connected to free WiFi.
I 've got two laptops: ubuntu and debian
1)Linux 4.4.0-57-generic #78-Ubuntu SMP Fri Dec 9 23:46:51 UTC 2016 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux
2)Linux 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.36-1+deb8u2 (2016-10-19) x86_64 GNU/LINUX

My point is: you can break all kinds of services without knowing why. And if someone attacks a random port and there is no service behind it to respond, the attacks fails. So no need to block it. This is why attacks go for a lot of known ports. So known ports may require a minor tweak.
You mean I'do better to change default ports rather than block them?

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED inserting iptables rules in while loop

I'm trying to insert multiple new lines of text into an iptables script using sed in a while loop. I'm not sure if this is the most effective way. Searching the forums has helped me come up with a good beginning but it's not 100%. I'd like it to search out a unique line in my current iptables file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: verbalicious
2 Replies

2. IP Networking

Iptables rules at boot

Hi I have small home network and I want to block some forums on web When I use this iptables -A INPUT -s forum -j DROP rules is applied but when I restart some of PC rules are not present any more also I tried to save firewall settings iptables-save > /root/dsl.fw but how to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
2 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

Editing rules on iptables

Hello, I was playing around with iptables to setup an isolated system. On a SLES10 system, I ran the below to setup my first draft of rules. I noticed that the rules come into effect immediately and do not require any restart of iptables. iptables -A INPUT -j ACCEPT iptables -A OUTPUT -m... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: garric
4 Replies

4. Ubuntu

iptables rules (ubuntu)

Could someone help me with writing rules for iptables? I need a dos attacks protection for a game server. port type udp ports 27015:27030 interface: eth0 Accept all packets from all IPs Chek if IP sent more than 50 packets per second Drop all packets from this IP for 5 minutes I would be... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Greenice
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

Iptables/Firewall rules for multicast IP.

Hi Gurus, I need to add Multicast Port = xyz Multicast Address = 123.134.143 ( example) to my firewall rules. Can you please guide me with the lines I need to update my iptables files with. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rama krishna
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

iptables Rules for my network

Hi Champs i am new in Iptables and trying to write rules for my Samba server.I took some help from internet, created one script and run from rc.local : #Allow loopback iptables -I INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT # Accept packets from Trusted network iptables -A INPUT -s my-network/subnet -j... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vaibhav.T
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Editing iptables rules with custom chain

Hello, I have iptables service running on my CentOS5 server. It has approx 50 rules right now. The problem I am facing now is as follows - I have to define a new chain in the filter table, say DOS_RULES & add all rules in this chain starting from index number 15 in the filter table. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BhushanPathak
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to Convert the QNX rules to UNIX iptables

Need to convert the QNX rules to Linux ubuntu 12.04. kindly any one help us with any tools (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mageshkumar
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

iptables help with rules

Hi, I've been struggling with this all morning and seem to have a blind spot on what the problem is. I'm trying to use iptables to block traffic on a little cluster of raspberry pi's but to allow ssh and ping traffic within it. The cluster has a firewall server with a wifi card connecting to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: steadyonabix
4 Replies

10. IP Networking

iptables - formatting icmp rules

Hi, I am relatively new to firewalls and netfilter. I have a Debian Stretch router box running dnsmasq, connected to a VPN. Occasionally dnsmasq polls all of the desired DNS servers to select the fastest. When it does this it responds to replies of the non-selected DNS servers with a icmp type... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: CrazyDave
0 Replies
LINUX-VERSION(1)					      General Commands Manual						  LINUX-VERSION(1)

NAME
linux-version - operate on Linux kernel version strings SYNOPSIS
linux-version compare VERSION1 OP VERSION2 linux-version sort [--reverse] [VERSION1 VERSION2 ...] linux-version list [--paths] DESCRIPTION
linux-version operates on Linux kernel version strings as reported by uname -r and used in file and directory names. These version strings do not follow the same rules as Debian package version strings and should not be compared as such or as arbitrary strings. compare VERSION1 OP VERSION2 Compare version strings, where OP is a binary operator. linux-version returns success (zero result) if the specified condition is satisfied, and failure (nonzero result) otherwise. The valid operators are: lt le eq ne ge gt sort [--reverse] [VERSION1 VERSION2 ...] Sort the given version strings and print them in order from lowest to highest. If the --reverse option is used, print them in order from highest to lowest. If no version strings are given as arguments, the version strings will instead be read from standard input, one per line. They may be suffixed by arbitrary text after a space, which will be included in the output. This means that, for example: linux-version list --paths | linux-version sort --reverse will list the installed versions and corresponding paths in order from highest to lowest version. list [--paths] List kernel versions installed in the customary location. If the --paths option, show the corresponding path for each version. AUTHOR
linux-version and this manual page were written by Ben Hutchings as part of the Debian linux-base package. 30 March 2011 LINUX-VERSION(1)