Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Need help for iptables rules
Special Forums Cybersecurity Need help for iptables rules Post 302988595 by Thomas342 on Thursday 29th of December 2016 06:39:56 AM
Old 12-29-2016
Need help for iptables rules

Hello,

I did 2 scripts. The second one is, I hope, more secure.
What do you think?

Basic connection (no server, no router, no DHCP and the Ipv6 is disabled)

#######script one
####################

Code:
iptables -F
iptables -X -t filter
iptables -P INPUT DROP 
iptables -P FORWARD DROP 
iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT

#lo
iptables -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT ! -i lo -d 127.0.0.0/8 -j REJECT
iptables -A OUTPUT -o lo -j ACCEPT

#CONNECTION
iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

#PING ACCEPTED AND OPENING PORTS THAT I NEED
iptables -A INPUT -p icmp --icmp-type echo-request -m conntrack --ctstate NEW -m limit --limit 1/s --limit-burst 1 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport xxxx -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p udp --dport xxxx -j ACCEPT

#LOG
iptables -A INPUT -m limit --limit 5/min -j LOG --log-prefix "iptables denied: " --log-level 7
iptables -A FORWARD -j LOG

######SCRIPT 2 ### SCRIPT (MORE SECURE) #####
#######################
Code:
iptables -F
iptables -X -t filter
iptables -P INPUT -j DROP
iptables -P FORWARD DROP 
iptables -P OUTPUT -j DROP

modprobe ip-conntrack

#lo
iptables -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT ! -i lo -d 127.0.0.0/8 -j REJECT
iptables -A OUTPUT -o lo -j ACCEPT

#connection
iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -m state ! --state INVALID -j ACCEPT

#PING ACCEPTED AND OPENING PORTS THAT I NEED
iptables -A INPUT -p icmp --icmp-type echo-request -m conntrack --ctstate NEW -m limit --limit 1/s --limit-burst 1 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -d 0.0.0.0/0 -p tcp --sport xxxx -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT (I don't know if I must add 0.0.0.0/0 or 192.168.0.0/24)
iptables -A INPUT -m limit --limit 7/s -j LOG

#LOG
iptables -A OUTPUT -m limit --limit 7/s -j LOG
iptables -A FORWARD -m limit --limit 7/s -j LOG

Thanks in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED inserting iptables rules in while loop

I'm trying to insert multiple new lines of text into an iptables script using sed in a while loop. I'm not sure if this is the most effective way. Searching the forums has helped me come up with a good beginning but it's not 100%. I'd like it to search out a unique line in my current iptables file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: verbalicious
2 Replies

2. IP Networking

Iptables rules at boot

Hi I have small home network and I want to block some forums on web When I use this iptables -A INPUT -s forum -j DROP rules is applied but when I restart some of PC rules are not present any more also I tried to save firewall settings iptables-save > /root/dsl.fw but how to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
2 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

Editing rules on iptables

Hello, I was playing around with iptables to setup an isolated system. On a SLES10 system, I ran the below to setup my first draft of rules. I noticed that the rules come into effect immediately and do not require any restart of iptables. iptables -A INPUT -j ACCEPT iptables -A OUTPUT -m... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: garric
4 Replies

4. Ubuntu

iptables rules (ubuntu)

Could someone help me with writing rules for iptables? I need a dos attacks protection for a game server. port type udp ports 27015:27030 interface: eth0 Accept all packets from all IPs Chek if IP sent more than 50 packets per second Drop all packets from this IP for 5 minutes I would be... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Greenice
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

Iptables/Firewall rules for multicast IP.

Hi Gurus, I need to add Multicast Port = xyz Multicast Address = 123.134.143 ( example) to my firewall rules. Can you please guide me with the lines I need to update my iptables files with. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rama krishna
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

iptables Rules for my network

Hi Champs i am new in Iptables and trying to write rules for my Samba server.I took some help from internet, created one script and run from rc.local : #Allow loopback iptables -I INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT # Accept packets from Trusted network iptables -A INPUT -s my-network/subnet -j... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vaibhav.T
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Editing iptables rules with custom chain

Hello, I have iptables service running on my CentOS5 server. It has approx 50 rules right now. The problem I am facing now is as follows - I have to define a new chain in the filter table, say DOS_RULES & add all rules in this chain starting from index number 15 in the filter table. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BhushanPathak
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to Convert the QNX rules to UNIX iptables

Need to convert the QNX rules to Linux ubuntu 12.04. kindly any one help us with any tools (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mageshkumar
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

iptables help with rules

Hi, I've been struggling with this all morning and seem to have a blind spot on what the problem is. I'm trying to use iptables to block traffic on a little cluster of raspberry pi's but to allow ssh and ping traffic within it. The cluster has a firewall server with a wifi card connecting to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: steadyonabix
4 Replies

10. IP Networking

iptables - formatting icmp rules

Hi, I am relatively new to firewalls and netfilter. I have a Debian Stretch router box running dnsmasq, connected to a VPN. Occasionally dnsmasq polls all of the desired DNS servers to select the fastest. When it does this it responds to replies of the non-selected DNS servers with a icmp type... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: CrazyDave
0 Replies
IPTABLES-APPLY(8)						  iptables 1.6.1						 IPTABLES-APPLY(8)

NAME
iptables-apply - a safer way to update iptables remotely SYNOPSIS
iptables-apply [-hV] [-t timeout] [-w savefile] {[rulesfile]|-c [runcmd]} DESCRIPTION
iptables-apply will try to apply a new rulesfile (as output by iptables-save, read by iptables-restore) or run a command to configure iptables and then prompt the user whether the changes are okay. If the new iptables rules cut the existing connection, the user will not be able to answer affirmatively. In this case, the script rolls back to the previous working iptables rules after the timeout expires. Successfully applied rules can also be written to savefile and later used to roll back to this state. This can be used to implement a store last good configuration mechanism when experimenting with an iptables setup script: iptables-apply -w /etc/network/iptables.up.rules -c /etc/network/iptables.up.run When called as ip6tables-apply, the script will use ip6tables-save/-restore and IPv6 default values instead. Default value for rulesfile is '/etc/network/iptables.up.rules'. OPTIONS
-t seconds, --timeout seconds Sets the timeout in seconds after which the script will roll back to the previous ruleset (default: 10). -w savefile, --write savefile Specify the savefile where successfully applied rules will be written to (default if empty string is given: /etc/network/iptables.up.rules). -c runcmd, --command runcmd Run command runcmd to configure iptables instead of applying a rulesfile (default: /etc/network/iptables.up.run). -h, --help Display usage information. -V, --version Display version information. SEE ALSO
iptables-restore(8), iptables-save(8), iptables(8). LEGALESE
Original iptables-apply - Copyright 2006 Martin F. Krafft <madduck@madduck.net>. Version 1.1 - Copyright 2010 GW <gw.2010@tnode.com or http://gw.tnode.com/>. This manual page was written by Martin F. Krafft <madduck@madduck.net> and extended by GW <gw.2010@tnode.com or http://gw.tnode.com/>. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the Artistic License 2.0. iptables 1.6.1 IPTABLES-APPLY(8)