Sponsored Content
Operating Systems SCO Long file names within shell script Post 302987365 by trolley on Thursday 8th of December 2016 12:07:20 PM
Old 12-08-2016
Not sure how I resolve my issue. I was trying many things and it just finally worked. I was using the following code;

Code:
mv $filxfr/*.edi  $filtmp/.
for RPTFIL in `ls`
do
    mv $RPTFIL FLXRPT.DAT
    rpt999
done

In the filxfr directory, I had zip and text files. So the above code would not work. I made sure the text files were in another directory for processing. I later found an error in my subroutine (ie. rpt999) that was not looking in the correct directory.

Again, I am not sure this helps. I would have posted this last night, but I thought it would not be helpful. That is why I wanted to delete my original post. I am a firm believer in sharing results or ideas.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

linux question, pardon, on long file names

Sorry, hope no one minds the linux question here, I use both unix and linux, and have come across a problem. On my linux box i have a dual boot, and i've set it up so i can access my windows data partition while in linux mode (mount the vfat partition), but linux doesn't recognize long file names,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kymberm
2 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Dos window, long file names prob

At the dos command prompt, does anyone remember how to make it recognize long file names? ie, windows long file names for folders, my documents, if i'm at the :> prompt and want to change to that directory, how do i make it skip the space? I've tried cd "my document" cd my\documents cd 'my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kymberm
4 Replies

3. Solaris

mkisofs and long file names

Well im using mkisofs to create iso images in Solaris 10 and then i use cdrw -i to burn the images to the cd the problem which i noticed recent ( im new to mkisofs) i noticed its break the long file names making them shorter i searched in its help and i find two parameters one -l and one... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: XP_2600
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Displaying VERY long process names with ps -ef

Hi, I'm trying to display all process on an AIX server with the string SLRServer in them. Normally "ps -ef|grep SLRServer" would be sufficient, however in this instance the process name is enormous and the part which contains this string has been truncated, as you can see in the example below ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: m223464
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading file names from a file and executing the relative file from shell script

Hi How can i dynamically read files names from a list file and execute them from a single shell script. Please help its urgent Thanks in Advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushilrai
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dealing with spaces in file names in a shell script

Hi, What's the best way to find all files under a directory - including ones with space - in order to apply a command to each of them. For instance I want get a list of files under a directory and generate a checksum for each file. Here's the csh script: #!/bin/csh set files = `find $1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: same1290
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming file names in a shell script

I want to write a shell script that will rename all the file names to today's date attached to it.. so for example i have a file names like file1.sales.20081201.txt.c zbrs.salestxtn.20091101.txt.inn then it will rename both the files with todays date to it so the file names get changed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

want only file names (not whole path) in shell script

hi i wrote following script, #!/usr/bin/sh for index in `ls /tmp/common/*.txt` do echo "$index" done here index is giving full path but in my program i want only file names (not along with whole path) Eg. if in /tmp/common files are a.txt and b.txt den out should be a.txt b.txt ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: crackthehit007
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and rename long file names (html)

Hi Guys, I need a help. I have 1130 zip files. Each one of them has files including 1 html file with long file name (includes special charactors, Alphabetic and numbers). I have copied all 1130 zip files to my linux system and extracted using below command. Find . -name "*.zip" -exec... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajmani
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

script regarding listing long group names

Hello, When listing the file systems (using ls -ltr) , if the group names are longer the group name is getting truncated. Can someone help with the script which would display the truncated group name? I appreciate if someone could help in this regard. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mike12
1 Replies
ZIPMERGE(1)						      General Commands Manual						       ZIPMERGE(1)

NAME
zipmerge - merge zip archives SYNOPSIS
zipmerge [-DhIiSsV] target-zip source-zip Op source-zip ... DESCRIPTION
zipmerge merges the source zip archives source-zip into the target zip archive target-zip. By default, files in the source zip archives overwrite existing files of the same name in the target zip archive. Supported options: -D Ignore directory components in file name comparisons. -h Display a short help message and exit. -I Ignore case in file name comparisons -i Ask before overwriting files. See also -s. -S Do not overwrite files that have the same size and CRC32 in both the source and target archives. -s When -i is given, do not before overwriting files that have the same size and CRC32. -V Display version information and exit. EXIT STATUS
zipmerge exits 0 on success and 1 if an error occurred. SEE ALSO
zipcmp(1), ziptorrent(1), libzip(3) AUTHORS
Dieter Baron <dillo@giga.or.at> and Thomas Klausner <tk@giga.or.at> NiH June 4, 2008 ZIPMERGE(1)