Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Basename for directory variable Post 302987240 by rbatte1 on Wednesday 7th of December 2016 10:57:53 AM
Old 12-07-2016
I think we recognised that was the objective.

I suggest that you change your first line to one of these:-
Code:
base=$(basename $dir)            # Process substitution
base=`basename $dir`             # Back-quote/back-tick of the same
base="${dir##*/}"                # Variable substitution

Do any of these meet your needs?

A few further things:-
  • What would you expect to happen if the user keys it incorrectly or includes a trailing / in the directory input?
  • Are you aware that you can only extract a tar file created using a full path (i.e. starting with a /) to the same place, and would that be a problem?

I hope that this helps,

Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

reverse of basename

Hi, Can someone let me know how to find the reverse of the basename i.e i have /apps/tiv/pmon/xxxx.dat and I want /apps/tiv/pmon/ Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: braindrain
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting basename and dirname variable to simply script.

Hello all, Can somebody explain to me how set up a basename and dirname variable to simplify this script. I currently have a 'infile' with the contents of FTTPDataPVC_ & BaaisDSLFeed. I need to add a basename and or dirname variable so that any additions can be made through the infile and not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: liketheshell
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed variable substitution when variable constructed of a directory path

Hello, i have another sed question.. I'm trying to do variable substition with sed and i'm running into a problem. my var1 is a string constructed like this: filename1 filerev1 filepath1 my var2 is another string constructed like this: filename2 filerev2 filepath2 when i do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alrinno
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

basename problem

Hi guys if i do a=`basename -e -s /home/j/john/*` du -k -h $a | sort -nr | head -10 why when i run the script does it work but also say usage basename string any ideas thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: musicmancanora4
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

basename $0

hi, can anyone help me by saying what is basename.. i have seen this in many programs where the basename is used.... thanks, Krips (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kripssmart
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

basename

Hi, can anyone let me know how to interpret the below third line in the following code. Gone through the man pages of "basename", but no go. for f in *.foo; do base=`basename $f .foo` mv $f $base.bar done Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk and basename

im trying to extract the basename of a process running on a host processx is running at host1 as /applications/myapps/bin/processx i wanted to check if its running, then extract the basename only using: $ ssh host1 "ps aux | grep -v 'grep' | grep 'processx'" | awk '{ print basename $11}' ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaboink
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basename in subshell

Hi All, I would like to improve my bash scripting skill and found a problem which I do not understand. Task is to search and print files in directory (and subdirecories) which contains its own name. Files can have spaces in name. This one works fine for files in main directory, but not for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: new_item
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

$(basename $0)

what is the meaning of "script_name=$(basename $0)", can someone please explain? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhi200389
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning basename result to another variable

This is a two part request for an assistance. I am not sure how retrieve value from basename command - line 270 -so in can be output as variable CLI_COMMAND - line 250 in whiptail input box. As coded I can input from keyboard ( stdin?) into input box using redirection. I can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: annacreek
2 Replies
Arch::Tarball(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					Arch::Tarball(3pm)

NAME
Arch::Tarball - an interface to create and work with tarballs SYNOPSIS
use Arch::Tarball my $tarball = Arch::Tarball->new; my $pipe = $tarball->create( dir => '/path/to/subdir-to-pack', base_name => 'new-subdir-to-pack', pipe => 1, ); DESCRIPTION
Arch::Tarball provides an object oriented interface to work with (create, examine or extract) standard gzipped tarballs. Note: As functionality is added only when needed, a lot of features are currently not implemented. METHODS
The following functions are available: new, create, extract, list. new %opts Creates a new Arch::Tarball object. The following parameters can be set via %opts: tar The name of the tar executable. Defaults to "tar". file The filename of the Tarball. create %opts Creates a new tarball (tar.gz) from a given directory structure. create understands the following options: dir (mandatory) Specifies the base directory for the tarball. The given directory and recursively its content will be added to the tarball. The directory's basename will be used as the first and the only subdirectory in the tarball. base_name Allow the programmer to specify a different base directory name for the tarball content than the basename of dir. In this case, 'cp' process is launched to temporarily rename the last element of dir. pipe When set, create does not create a physical tarball but writes the tarballs content to a newly created pipe. The pipe is returned by the create method. Note: Currently the pipe option is mandatory. extract %opts Extracts the tarball to a given target directory, specified by dir option. If dir option is not given, a temporary directory is created that will hold the extracted dirs/files. This directory is returned. The file option specifies the tarball file name. It may be given in the constructor instead. list %opts (not implemented yet) Returns a list of files and directories in the tarball. BUGS
Most functionality is currently not implemented. If you need part of the missing functionality, please contact the authors. Patches are greatly appreciated. AUTHORS
Mikhael Goikhman (migo@homemail.com--Perl-GPL/arch-perl--devel). Enno Cramer (uebergeek@web.de--2003/arch-perl--devel). perl v5.10.1 2005-04-22 Arch::Tarball(3pm)