Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Shell script - craete user/password/home dir Post 302986879 by rbatte1 on Thursday 1st of December 2016 06:55:57 AM
Old 12-01-2016
How will you want to decide which user account is assigned to each?

It should be relatively easy to achieve if you can clearly state the rules you want to apply.

Kind regards,
Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modify user home dir

I created a new user and assigned a certain home dir to tis user. I've noticed that this home dir (/export/home/test) is already assigned to other users. I really want to create a dedicated home dir for the new user. Can anyone tell me how I can modify this user with a new homedir? Thx for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kris_devis
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

listing home dir of anothe user

Hi I am trying to display the home directory of another user. I dont have the permissions to change into their directory and wonder is it possible to display their directory eg I cant change directory to john but I am trying to display something like /home/John. If anyone can help I would... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmg2711
3 Replies

3. Solaris

need to restrict user to his home dir

Hello, i need to create a user who's access is restricted only to his home directory and below, i restricted his pty access by adding 'no-pty' to the options of the ssh key in authorized_keys file. However, sftp access still allows this user access to all my file system thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lidram
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restrict user access to their home dir

Hi! i'm using FreeBSD 6.2 and hosting my pc to frens in particular of sensitive information being saved to the PC, i would like to know is it possible for me to restrict user access to their /home dir. only? and also, i wanted to restrict them listing files under /etc thanks all! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdns
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unable to set user home dir

I created a new user and changed their home directory to /export/home/mydir/ I verified in the passwd file that the home directory is set to the above and that owner of that directory is the new user and yet when I log in as that user I get the following message: No directory! Logging in with... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: some_one
14 Replies

6. AIX

Not able to mount user home dir from with automount

Hello there Have anyone configured an AIX 5L machine as NIS client? with homedirectories automounted form an NFS share? The NIS server is running Solaris. I am able to configure the AIX machine as client and user is able to login but I have configured the client to use the automountd... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaji_prk
0 Replies

7. Linux

SFTP user access restriction to his home dir

Hi Friends, I have installed a FTP Server on my Linux machine (Fedora 11). I want the ftp users to be restricted to their own home dir using sftp. But the said condition is met when the user logs in using ftp over port 21 and when the user logs in using sftp i.e. protocol 22, he/she has... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pashy
4 Replies

8. Solaris

how to change /export/home/user dir to /home /user in solaris

Hi all i am using solaris 10, i am creating user with useradd -d/home/user -m -s /bin/sh user user is created with in the following path /export/home/user (auto mount) i need the user to be created like this (/home as default home directory ) useradd -d /home/user -m -s /bin/sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalyankalyan
2 Replies

9. Solaris

remove a user without removing its home dir

HI all, I have wrongly given a wrong home directory to a user. This dir is very critical for my production environment(Can;t afford to lose it for a single minute) Now i want to delete that user, Whenever i try to delete user it tries to delete its home dir. Commnd i use: userdel ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: varunksharma87
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Switching from root to normal user takes me to user's home dir

Whenever i switch from root to another user, by doing su - user, it takes me to home directory of user. This is very annoying as i want to be in same dir to run different commands as root sometimes and sometimes as normal user. How to fix this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syncmaster
1 Replies
USERADD(8)						      System Manager's Manual							USERADD(8)

NAME
useradd - Create a new user or update default new user information SYNOPSIS
useradd [-c comment] [-d home_dir] [-e expire_date] [-f inactive_time] [-g initial_group] [-G group[,...]] [-m [-k skeleton_dir] | -M] [-n] [-o] [-p passwd] [-r] [-s shell] [-u uid] login useradd -D [-g default_group] [-b default_home] [-e default_expire_date] [-f default_inactive] [-s default_shell] DESCRIPTION
Creating New Users When invoked without the -D option, the useradd command creates a new user account using the values specified on the command line and the default values from the system. The new user account will be entered into the system files as needed, the home directory will be created, and initial files copied, depending on the command line options. The version provided with Red Hat Linux will create a group for each user added to the system, unless the -n option is given. The options which apply to the useradd command are: -c comment The new user's password file comment field. -d home_dir The new user will be created using home_dir as the value for the user's login directory. The default is to append the login name to default_home and use that as the login directory name. -e expire_date The date on which the user account will be disabled. The date is specified in the format YYYY-MM-DD. -f inactive_days The number of days after a password expires until the account is permanently disabled. A value of 0 disables the account as soon as the password has expired, and a value of -1 disables the feature. The default value is -1. -g initial_group The group name or number of the user's initial login group. The group name must exist. A group number must refer to an already existing group. The default group number is 1 or whatever is specified in /etc/default/useradd. -G group,[...] A list of supplementary groups which the user is also a member of. Each group is separated from the next by a comma, with no inter- vening whitespace. The groups are subject to the same restrictions as the group given with the -g option. The default is for the user to belong only to the initial group. -m The user's home directory will be created if it does not exist. The files contained in skeleton_dir will be copied to the home directory if the -k option is used, otherwise the files contained in /etc/skel will be used instead. Any directories contained in skeleton_dir or /etc/skel will be created in the user's home directory as well. The -k option is only valid in conjunction with the -m option. The default is to not create the directory and to not copy any files. -M The user home directory will not be created, even if the system wide settings from /etc/login.defs is to create home dirs. -n A group having the same name as the user being added to the system will be created by default. This option will turn off this Red Hat Linux specific behavior. -o Allow create user with duplicate (non-unique) UID. -p passwd The encrypted password, as returned by crypt(3). The default is to disable the account. -r This flag is used to create a system account. That is, a user with a UID lower than the value of UID_MIN defined in /etc/login.defs and whose password does not expire. Note that useradd will not create a home directory for such an user, regardless of the default setting in /etc/login.defs. You have to specify -m option if you want a home directory for a system account to be created. This is an option added by Red Hat. -s shell The name of the user's login shell. The default is to leave this field blank, which causes the system to select the default login shell. -u uid The numerical value of the user's ID. This value must be unique, unless the -o option is used. The value must be non-negative. The default is to use the smallest ID value greater than 99 and greater than every other user. Values between 0 and 99 are typi- cally reserved for system accounts. Changing the default values When invoked with the -D option, useradd will either display the current default values, or update the default values from the command line. The valid options are -b default_home The initial path prefix for a new user's home directory. The user's name will be affixed to the end of default_home to create the new directory name if the -d option is not used when creating a new account. -e default_expire_date The date on which the user account is disabled. -f default_inactive The number of days after a password has expired before the account will be disabled. -g default_group The group name or ID for a new user's initial group. The named group must exist, and a numerical group ID must have an existing entry . -s default_shell The name of the new user's login shell. The named program will be used for all future new user accounts. If no options are specified, useradd displays the current default values. NOTES
The system administrator is responsible for placing the default user files in the /etc/skel directory. This version of useradd was modified by Red Hat to suit Red Hat user/group conventions. CAVEATS
You may not add a user to an NIS group. This must be performed on the NIS server. FILES
/etc/passwd - user account information /etc/shadow - secure user account information /etc/group - group information /etc/gshadow - secure group information /etc/default/useradd - default information /etc/login.defs - system-wide settings /etc/skel - directory containing default files SEE ALSO
chfn(1), chsh(1), passwd(1), crypt(3), groupadd(8), groupdel(8), groupmod(8), userdel(8), usermod(8) AUTHOR
Julianne Frances Haugh (jockgrrl@ix.netcom.com) USERADD(8)