Sponsored Content
Operating Systems SCO Increase disk size on OS side on the fly Post 302985038 by rbatte1 on Friday 4th of November 2016 05:30:35 AM
Old 11-04-2016
If you used tar to backup the entire system, you would need to put it back the data on a system with appropriate filesystems already mounted, that way tar will write them to the correct slice of disk.

If you are planning to restore everything and the backup was made with tar -cvf device / then you can only restore to the exact path. You will also need to make sure you don't overwrite OS critical files or your machine may not boot or fail to work properly.

Can you elaborate more on how you did the copy?

Again, Storix would be an excellent tool here (if it supports your OS version) and it would allow you to take a backup of your physical server that you can use to create a virtual server and update the disk allocations at the same time. It will help you go P2P, P2V, V2V & V2P.

I have to confirm that I have no financial interest in it, I just think it's a very good product. There are others available, but this one seems to do far more in a far more useful way. To be honest it exceeds what HP-UX's Ignite and AIX's mysysb do by adding in the ability to adjust various things (storage, network etc.) when you start the recovery. Take the free trial, watch the videos and choose for yourself.

Also have a look at the IBM view of it IBM - Storix System Backup Administrator (SBAdmin) for AIX

Kind regards,
Robin
(Never employed, contracted or bribed by Storix or IBM)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

increase size of /tmp

My /tmp is full, and the oracle installation is crashing. How can I increase the size of /tmp, even though I have allocated all the available disk space to other partitions? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pkappaz
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

increase size

Hi All, one of the mount point in Hp ux server has reached 95% its a data base file and can not be deleted. so i want to know how to increase the size of mount point i am new to unix ,please help me (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jyoti
1 Replies

3. Solaris

how to increase the size of the allotment

Hi all, I have a 130gb HDD of which 95b is taken up by various partitions of windows xp... I partitioned my HDD and gave solaris 10gb of space, but now owing to some development stuff i need to increase the space!!! How do i do it!! Please note that i do have ~20gb of space left still...... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
2 Replies

4. Solaris

increase Root size

Dear all, I am very new to solaris, I have installed solaris 10, i tried installing few softwares into file system, unfortunately system failed to install stating "No space left on device " i searched few threads and it says, we have to increase root size. where my root size is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhnki
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Increase salt size

Unix protect its password by using salt It that mean larger the salt size the more secure? if the salt size increase greatly, will the password still able to be cracked? thank you for helping (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cryogen
1 Replies

6. AIX

How to increase Virtual Disk size

Hello, I am working AIX VIO server and extended Virtual Disk of one of the Partition with 10GB. After starting partition, i am not able to see increased size of disk. Can you please help me what I need to do to increase the size of virtual disk from partition? Thanks Kishor ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kishorbhede
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Increase size to sd[b-c]

hi guys I am working on my vmware workstation. I have a /dev/sdb which is 5GB. I am using LVM. Now I increase /dev/sdb 2 more GB. fdisk -l shows 7 GB but pvscan still shows 5GB. how do I make my system recognize the new 7GB added and be able to add those to my physical volumen and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kopper
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Delete syslog but size disk can't increase

Hi Experts, I have a problem wih /var. Disk /var is full. After i investigate, i found file /var/log/syslog.0 is growing rapidly. The size is 4.3G. I tried to move syslog.0 to another disk and file was moved successfully. My question is why size /var can't increase? used space still 100%. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: edydsuranta
7 Replies

9. AIX

Kdb - vscsi disk mapping from AIX 5.3 CLIENT side

If you're familiar with vscsi mappings thru a VIO Server, you are probably aware, on an AIX 6.1 Client LPAR, that: print cvai | kdbcan provide useful information to you.... like VIO Server name & vhost #. But, "cvai" does not appear to be part of the Kernel Debugger in AIX 5.3. My question is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: The Doctor
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Increase disk size of guest domain

Host System: SPARC S7-2 Server; 2x8-core CPUs; 128Gb RAM; 2x600Gb HDD. running Solaris 11.3. Last login: Tue Sep 19 14:42:42 2017 from xxx.xxx.xxx Oracle Corporation SunOS 5.11 11.3 June 2017 $ uname -a SunOS sog01 5.11 11.3 sun4v sparc sun4v $ Original physical systems: Sun... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: apmcd47
0 Replies
BACKUP_RESTOREDB(8)					       AFS Command Reference					       BACKUP_RESTOREDB(8)

NAME
backup_restoredb - Restores a saved copy of the Backup Database SYNOPSIS
backup restoredb [-portoffset <TC port offset>] [-localauth] [-cell <cell name>] [-help] backup res [-p <TC port offset>] [-l] [-c <cell name>] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The backup restoredb command restores to the Backup Server machine's local disk a version of the Backup Database previously written to tape by using the backup savedb command. (If the "FILE YES" instruction appears in the /var/lib/openafs/backup/CFG_device_name file associated with the specified port offset, then the backup restoredb command restores data from the backup data file listed for that port offset in the Tape Coordinator's /var/lib/openafs/backup/tapeconfig file, instead of from tape. For the sake of clarity, the following text refers to tapes only, but the Backup System handles backup data files in much the same way.) The most common reason to run this command is to replace a corrupted or otherwise damaged Backup Database; use the backup dbverify command to determine the database's status. The command can also be used to restore records that were removed from the database when the -archive argument was included on a previous backup savedb command. The command completely overwrites the existing Backup Database records for volume sets, Tape Coordinators, and the dump hierarchy with the corresponding information from the saved version. It does not overwrite existing dump records, but instead interleaves the records from the copy being restored. If both the existing database (on the Backup Server machine's disk) and the copy being restored include a record about the same dump, the Backup System retains the one in the existing database. The Tape Coordinator's default response to this command is to access the first tape it needs by invoking the "MOUNT" instruction in the local /var/lib/openafs/backup/CFG_device_name file, or by prompting the backup operator to insert the tape if there is no "MOUNT" instruction. However, if the "AUTOQUERY NO" instruction appears in the CFG_device_name file, or if the issuer of the butc command included the -noautoquery flag, the Tape Coordinator instead expects the tape to be in the device already. If it is not, or is the wrong tape, the Tape Coordinator invokes the "MOUNT" instruction or prompts the operator. It also invokes the "MOUNT" instruction or prompts for any additional tapes needed to complete the restore operation; the backup operator must arrange to provide them. CAUTIONS
If the database is corrupted, do not attempt to restore a saved database on top of it. Instead, use the instructions for repairing a corrupted database in the OpenAFS Administration Guide chapter about performing backup operations. OPTIONS
-portoffset <TC port offset> Specifies the port offset number of the Tape Coordinator handling the tapes for this operation. -localauth Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. The backup command interpreter presents it to the Backup Server, Volume Server and VL Server during mutual authentication. Do not combine this flag with the -cell argument. For more details, see backup(8). -cell <cell name> Names the cell in which to run the command. Do not combine this argument with the -localauth flag. For more details, see backup(8). -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. EXAMPLES
The following example shows the Backup Database being restored from the Tape Coordinator with port offset 0: % backup restoredb PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must be listed in the /etc/openafs/server/UserList file on every machine where the Backup Server is running, or must be logged onto a server machine as the local superuser "root" if the -localauth flag is included. SEE ALSO
butc(5), backup(8), backup_dbverify(8), backup_savedb(8), butc(8) The OpenAFS Administration Guide at <http://docs.openafs.org/AdminGuide/>. COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 BACKUP_RESTOREDB(8)