Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Ntp time synchronization problems Post 302974924 by hicksd8 on Monday 6th of June 2016 05:13:17 AM
Old 06-06-2016
I haven't used HP-UX for years so I'm not an expert but have you checked that the DNS (services and configuration) is working because a NTP server name needs to be resolved like any other URL. Can you ping the NTP server name?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ntp across time zones

I've been tasked to implement ntp on my SCO Unix servers. I have over 600 servers spread across the US in different time zones. Each remote server has network connectivity to a main server here, through their local ISP. (That's how we currently deliver mail to them). My question is, how can... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Howeird
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Time synchronization

All What is the best way to keep the system clock synchronized? I have looked at ntp and netdate. Is one good over the other? Basically I want to know if what is the most secure way to keep the system clock insync. netdate will require me to open up some port 37... is this safe? ntp also... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skotapal
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

NTP time

Is anyone familiar with adding NTP timing to a HPUX 10 OS? Thanks Brian (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: breigner
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

time synchronization

i have an HP UNIX box w/c acts as ntp server... I tried to change the time plus 8 minutes... the problem is that the other HP UNIX ntp client did not follow the time... when I tried to restart ntp client... using stop start it only sync to the server once... when I issue the command "ntpq -p", w/c... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: inquirer
2 Replies

5. SCO

Problems with NTP

Hy, I'm having problems with NTP synchronisation on one of the machines wich runs SCO 5.0.5Eb. It should synchronize with one RedHat machine in local network, but it doesn't (all other machines are fine). It just falls behind after a while. In /etc/ntp.conf i have only this entry: server... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: veccinho
1 Replies

6. Linux

How often does Linux NTP server update its time with the external NTP server?

All here, thank you for listening. Now I've set up a Linux NTP server by adding a external windows NTP server in /etc/ntp.conf. Then I start the ntpd daemon. But how often does the Linux NTP server update its time with the external NTP server? I've looked up everywhere but found no information... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MichaelLi
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

ntp time synchronization

hello all,, am trying to do a time synchronization between a ntp server and a client, but facing some problems in doing so: i run the ntpdate in debug mode and this is what i got. please help me out.. # ntpd -d -u 172.22.1.207 ntpd 4.2.2p1@1.1570-o Sun Aug 28 19:21:03 UTC 2011 (1)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahul11c
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Auto NTP Time Synchronization

Good morning, My first post and first visit, so hello. I have been asked to see if one of our Linux boxes can have it's time sync automatically because the person who built the system has told our staff it cannot be done. To me that raised some flags because although I am no Linux expert, I just... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: YSupport
12 Replies

9. AIX

NTP time problem

I got an ntp time problem on AIX server. os version is AIX7.1 OS LEVEL 7.1.0.0 i got below output,when i run the below command bash-3.2# ntpdate -dv XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 4 Dec 12:50:49 ntpdate: 3.4y transmit(xxxxxxxxx) receive(xxxxxxxxx) transmit(xxxxxxxx) receive(xxxxxxxxx)... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: murali969
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Ntp : How is the synchronization time scheduled?

Hello, one of my clients has the following task for me: To write a Perl script that checks, whether ntp is active on a particular AIX or Linux box. Obviously the last synchronization is logged in the file ntp.log So, my task would be find out, when the synchronization SHOULD have taken... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bloehdian1
1 Replies
TIMESYNCD.CONF(5)						  timesyncd.conf						 TIMESYNCD.CONF(5)

NAME
timesyncd.conf, timesyncd.conf.d - Network Time Synchronization configuration files SYNOPSIS
/etc/systemd/timesyncd.conf /etc/systemd/timesyncd.conf.d/*.conf /run/systemd/timesyncd.conf.d/*.conf /usr/lib/systemd/timesyncd.conf.d/*.conf DESCRIPTION
These configuration files control NTP network time synchronization. CONFIGURATION DIRECTORIES AND PRECEDENCE
The default configuration is defined during compilation, so a configuration file is only needed when it is necessary to deviate from those defaults. By default, the configuration file in /etc/systemd/ contains commented out entries showing the defaults as a guide to the administrator. This file can be edited to create local overrides. When packages need to customize the configuration, they can install configuration snippets in /usr/lib/systemd/*.conf.d/. Files in /etc/ are reserved for the local administrator, who may use this logic to override the configuration files installed by vendor packages. The main configuration file is read before any of the configuration directories, and has the lowest precedence; entries in a file in any configuration directory override entries in the single configuration file. Files in the *.conf.d/ configuration subdirectories are sorted by their filename in lexicographic order, regardless of which of the subdirectories they reside in. When multiple files specify the same option, for options which accept just a single value, the entry in the file with the lexicographically latest name takes precedence. For options which accept a list of values, entries are collected as they occur in files sorted lexicographically. It is recommended to prefix all filenames in those subdirectories with a two-digit number and a dash, to simplify the ordering of the files. To disable a configuration file supplied by the vendor, the recommended way is to place a symlink to /dev/null in the configuration directory in /etc/, with the same filename as the vendor configuration file. OPTIONS
The following settings are configured in the "[Time]" section: NTP= A space-separated list of NTP server host names or IP addresses. During runtime this list is combined with any per-interface NTP servers acquired from systemd-networkd.service(8). systemd-timesyncd will contact all configured system or per-interface servers in turn until one is found that responds. When the empty string is assigned, the list of NTP servers is reset, and all assignments prior to this one will have no effect. This setting defaults to an empty list. FallbackNTP= A space-separated list of NTP server host names or IP addresses to be used as the fallback NTP servers. Any per-interface NTP servers obtained from systemd-networkd.service(8) take precedence over this setting, as do any servers set via NTP= above. This setting is hence only used if no other NTP server information is known. When the empty string is assigned, the list of NTP servers is reset, and all assignments prior to this one will have no effect. If this option is not given, a compiled-in list of NTP servers is used instead. RootDistanceMaxSec= Maximum acceptable root distance. Takes a time value (in seconds). Defaults to 5 seconds. PollIntervalMinSec=, PollIntervalMaxSec= The minimum and maximum poll intervals for NTP messages. Each setting takes a time value (in seconds). PollIntervalMinSec= must not be smaller than 16 seconds. PollIntervalMaxSec= must be larger than PollIntervalMinSec=. PollIntervalMinSec= defaults to 32 seconds, and PollIntervalMaxSec= defaults to 2048 seconds. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemd-timesyncd.service(8), systemd-networkd.service(8) systemd 237 TIMESYNCD.CONF(5)