Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Ntp time synchronization problems Post 302974924 by hicksd8 on Monday 6th of June 2016 05:13:17 AM
Old 06-06-2016
I haven't used HP-UX for years so I'm not an expert but have you checked that the DNS (services and configuration) is working because a NTP server name needs to be resolved like any other URL. Can you ping the NTP server name?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ntp across time zones

I've been tasked to implement ntp on my SCO Unix servers. I have over 600 servers spread across the US in different time zones. Each remote server has network connectivity to a main server here, through their local ISP. (That's how we currently deliver mail to them). My question is, how can... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Howeird
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Time synchronization

All What is the best way to keep the system clock synchronized? I have looked at ntp and netdate. Is one good over the other? Basically I want to know if what is the most secure way to keep the system clock insync. netdate will require me to open up some port 37... is this safe? ntp also... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skotapal
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

NTP time

Is anyone familiar with adding NTP timing to a HPUX 10 OS? Thanks Brian (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: breigner
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

time synchronization

i have an HP UNIX box w/c acts as ntp server... I tried to change the time plus 8 minutes... the problem is that the other HP UNIX ntp client did not follow the time... when I tried to restart ntp client... using stop start it only sync to the server once... when I issue the command "ntpq -p", w/c... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: inquirer
2 Replies

5. SCO

Problems with NTP

Hy, I'm having problems with NTP synchronisation on one of the machines wich runs SCO 5.0.5Eb. It should synchronize with one RedHat machine in local network, but it doesn't (all other machines are fine). It just falls behind after a while. In /etc/ntp.conf i have only this entry: server... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: veccinho
1 Replies

6. Linux

How often does Linux NTP server update its time with the external NTP server?

All here, thank you for listening. Now I've set up a Linux NTP server by adding a external windows NTP server in /etc/ntp.conf. Then I start the ntpd daemon. But how often does the Linux NTP server update its time with the external NTP server? I've looked up everywhere but found no information... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MichaelLi
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

ntp time synchronization

hello all,, am trying to do a time synchronization between a ntp server and a client, but facing some problems in doing so: i run the ntpdate in debug mode and this is what i got. please help me out.. # ntpd -d -u 172.22.1.207 ntpd 4.2.2p1@1.1570-o Sun Aug 28 19:21:03 UTC 2011 (1)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahul11c
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Auto NTP Time Synchronization

Good morning, My first post and first visit, so hello. I have been asked to see if one of our Linux boxes can have it's time sync automatically because the person who built the system has told our staff it cannot be done. To me that raised some flags because although I am no Linux expert, I just... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: YSupport
12 Replies

9. AIX

NTP time problem

I got an ntp time problem on AIX server. os version is AIX7.1 OS LEVEL 7.1.0.0 i got below output,when i run the below command bash-3.2# ntpdate -dv XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 4 Dec 12:50:49 ntpdate: 3.4y transmit(xxxxxxxxx) receive(xxxxxxxxx) transmit(xxxxxxxx) receive(xxxxxxxxx)... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: murali969
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Ntp : How is the synchronization time scheduled?

Hello, one of my clients has the following task for me: To write a Perl script that checks, whether ntp is active on a particular AIX or Linux box. Obviously the last synchronization is logged in the file ntp.log So, my task would be find out, when the synchronization SHOULD have taken... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bloehdian1
1 Replies
ntp.conf(5)							File Formats Manual						       ntp.conf(5)

Name
       ntp.conf - Network Time Protocol configuration file

Description
       The  file  is the configuration file for the Network Time Protocol (NTP) daemon, This file must be configured on your system before running
       Any host names that you specify in the file must have an entry in the file, or an entry in the master database, if the  database  is  being
       served to your system by BIND/Hesiod or Yellow Pages.

The file has four entry formats:

trusting no
	    This entry guarantees that your system synchronizes only to the NTP servers identified in the peer and server entries specified.  Dig-
	    ital recommends that all systems include the entry.

peer server
	    This entry identifies server as one of the NTP servers that your system trusts, and from which your system will accept  time  synchro-
	    nization.	 Your  system  may  also  provide time synchronization to this server.	Servers can be identified by host name or internet
	    address.

NTP servers should be configured with entries.

server server
	    This entry identifies server as one of the NTP servers that your system trusts, and from which your system will accept  time  synchro-
	    nization.	Your  system  can  not	provide  time  synchronization to this server.	Servers can be identified by host name or internet
	    address.

NTP clients should be configured with entries.

peer   /dev/null       LOCL    1       -5      local
	    This entry identifies your system as a local reference clock.  A local reference clock is the most accurate system clock available	at
	    your  site.   If you receive time synchronization from the Internet NTP service, you should not include this entry on any of your sys-
	    tems.  At most, one system in a set of nodes running should be identified as a local reference clock.

A host which specifies this entry should not specify any or entries.

Examples
       This is a sample configuration file for an NTP client which receives time synchronization from the NTP servers: and Lines beginning with  a
       number sign (#) are comments.
       #
       #	       NTP  Configuration File
       #	This file is mandatory for the ntpd daemon
       #
       #
       #
       #   **  A L L  **
       #
       #  "trusting no" prevents this host from synchronizing
       #   to any host that is not listed below.  It is recommended
       #   that all hosts include the line "trusting no".
       #
       trusting no
       #
       #
       #    **	S E R V E R  **
       #
       #  If you are configuring a server, use "peer" entries to
       #  synchronize to other NTP servers.  For example, server1,
       #  server2, and server3.
       #
       #peer	      server1
       #peer	      server2
       #peer	      server3
       #
       #
       #
       #
       #    **	C L I E N T  **
       #
       #  If you are configuring a client, use "server" entries to
       #  synchronize to NTP servers.  For example, server1, server2,
       #  and server3.
       #
       server	      server1
       server	      server2
       server	      server3
       #
       #
       #
       #    **	L O C A L   R E F E R E N C E	C L O C K  **
       #
       #  If you are configuring a local reference clock, include the
       #  following entry and the "trusting no" entry ONLY.
       #
       #peer	 /dev/null LOCL 1    -5   local
       #

See Also
       ntp(1), ntpd(8), ntpdc(8)
       RFC 1129--Internet time synchronization:  The Network Time Protocol
       Introduction to Networking and Distributed System Services

ntp.conf(5)