Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Check Directory for files & Email Post 302968012 by Nvizn on Wednesday 2nd of March 2016 12:01:44 PM
Old 03-02-2016
Thanks for your response, Peasant. I had decided to do the following before your response, and is working great. It looks to see if any files exists, sends the contents to a text file and emails the output of the file. If no items exists in the directory, it does nothing. This is only a quarter of the entire script and what needs to be done. I may be posting additional questions on this.:

Code:
dir=/directory/file/*
file=/usr/local/mailfile.txt

if [ "$(ls -a $dir)" ] ; then
        ls -la $dir > $file
else
        :
fi

if [ -s ${file} ] ; then
  mail -s "$Subject" "$Recipients"  < $file
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check if 3 files have same size in directory

I need to determine if any three files have the same file size in a specified directly? I have got as far as listing the file sizes but where to go from here? ls -al |sort -n -r +4 | awq '{print $5}' Thanks in anticipation (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oggle
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find & Copy Selected files to another Directory

I am wanting to find files within a directory that are over a certain number of days old and copy them to another directory. And unfortunately not having much luck.......is someone able to help. Would also like to add that there are literally thousands of files that I am wanting to copy in one... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hellfyre
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Extracting the different files from directory & its sub directories

Hi Everyone, It would be helpful if someone helps me on this. Requirement: I have a directory which includes different types of files(for example *.java,*.class),but not restricted for only these types. I need to find the same types of file extensions from its directories and subdirectories... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcvasu
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to find occurrences of email domains in all files in a directory

Hello Everyone! I trust you are off to a great week! Trying to output the name and count of each uniquely occurring domain in the current directory for a portion of a script I'm building. Here's what I'm stuck on: - Need to find UNIQUE occurences of domains (*@domain.com) in ALL files in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxhombre
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Just listing size, timestamp & name of files in a directory

How can I list the files in a directory and just show the file size, date stamp, timestamp and file name.. I've been trying to ls -lrt the directory to a file and then use the cut command but I'm not having any luck with getting the proper results.. I thought i could use the -f switch and count... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jazmania
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Help in reading N days files from a Directory & combining the files

Hi All, Request your expertise in tackling one requirement in my project,(i dont have much expertise in Shell Scripting). The requirement is as below, 1) We store the last run date of a process in a file. When the batch run the next time, it should read this file, get the last run date from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsfreddie
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check whether directory has files in it or not in shell script?

hi, I am having script in which i want to check if directory has any file in it or not. If directory contains a single or more files then and only then it should proceed to further operations... P.S.: Directory might have thousand number of files. so there might be chance of getting error... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: VSom007
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check daily files arrival in a directory

Hi All, I wanted to write a script to check if set of files exist in a directory or not for a particular day. each file has a date stamp. Now i want to implement this - -i can check files of a particular date in a particular folder -generate log and send it to through email. Big THANKS !!... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: flagboy2014
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compressing & removing files in a directory & subdirectory

Hi, I want a simple line of code that will compress files within a directory specified (parameter) and its subdirectories and also i want to remove files which are exactly 365 days old from the sysdate after this compression. Please help. Thanks, JD (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jesshelle David
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Check for files and move it to another directory - ksh

I'm trying to wirte ksh script for given requirement, but i unable to achive it. In dir1 directory I need to check for the files which suffixed with .csv or .txt, If there is no files, then i need to exit. If any files found I need to move the each file found to dir2 directory. I have to repeat... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kayal
4 Replies
UNBURDEN-HOME-DIR(1)						   User Commands					      UNBURDEN-HOME-DIR(1)

NAME
unburden-home-dir - unburdens home directories from caches and trashes SYNOPSIS
unburden-home-dir [ -n | -u | -f filter ] unburden-home-dir ( -h | --help | --version ) DESCRIPTION
unburden-home-dir unburdens the home directory from files and directory which cause high I/O or disk usage but are neither important if they are lost, e.g. caches or trash directory. When being run it moves the files and directories given in the configuration file to a location outside the home directory, e.g. /tmp or /scratch, and puts appropriate symbolic links in the home directory instead. OPTIONS
-f just unburden those directory matched by the given filter (a perl regular expression) -- matches the already unburdened directories if used together with -u. -F Do not check for files in use with lsof before (re)moving files. -n dry run (show what would be done) -u undo (reverse the functionality and put stuff back into the home directory) -h, --help show this help --version show the program's version EXAMPLES
Example configuration files can be found at /usr/share/doc/unburden-home-dir/examples on Debian-based systems and in the etc/ directory of the source tar ball. FILES
/etc/unburden-home-dir, /etc/unburden-home-dir.list, ~/.unburden-home-dir, ~/.unburden-home-dir.list, /etc/default/unburden-home-dir, /etc/X11/Xsession.d/95unburden-home-dir Read /usr/share/doc/unburden-home-dir/README on debianoid installations or README in the source tar ball for an explanation of these files. SEE ALSO
corekeeper (http://openvswitch.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=corekeeper), autotrash(1), agedu(1), bleachbit(1). For du(1)-like but more comfortable tools, see ncdu(1) (text-mode), baobab(1) (GNOME), filelight(1) (KDE), xdiskusage(1) (X tool calling du(1) itself), or xdu(1) (X tool reading du(1) output from STDIN). AUTHOR
Unburden Home Dir is written and maintained by Axel Beckert <beckert@phys.ethz.ch> LICENSE
Unburden Home Dir is available under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL) version 2 or any later version at your option. Unburden Home Directory May 2012 UNBURDEN-HOME-DIR(1)