Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Program to combine two lines in a file on checking the first character of each line Post 302967685 by RudiC on Friday 26th of February 2016 08:18:49 AM
Old 02-26-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayaP
Hi Ravinder/Rudi,

What if my file content looks like this
Code:
5, jaya, male, 4-5-90, single
-smart
6, prakash, male, 5-4-84, married
-fair
7, raghavi, female, 12-10-85, married
calm
-talented
9, bhaskar, male, 29-12-92, single
-studios

Please suggest and also can you please explain your code?

Regards,
Jaya
What if you explained what you then need/expect?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine multiple lines in single line

This is related to one of my previous post but now with a slight difference: I need the "Updated:" to be in one line as well as the "Information:" on one line as well. These are in multiple lines right now as seen below. These can have 2 or more lines that needs to be in one line. System name:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: The One
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine multiple unique lines from event log text file into one line, use PERL or AWK?

I can't decide if I should use AWK or PERL after pouring over these forums for hours today I decided I'd post something and see if I couldn't get some advice. I've got a text file full of hundreds of events in this format: Record Number : 1 Records in Seq : ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mayday22
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking ^M character in file

i have the file <infile> with ^M charactrer. i just wnt to know through script whether the file have ^M character or not. Please let me know the script steps to check the same. Thanks in Advance Ganesh. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ganesh L
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine multiple lines into single line

Hi All , I have a file with below data # User@Host: xyz @ # Query_time: t1 Lock_time: t2 Rows_sent: n1 Rows_examined: n2 SET timestamp=1396852200; select count(1) from table; # Time: 140406 23:30:01 # User@Host: abc @ # Query_time: t1 Lock_time: t2 Rows_sent: n1 Rows_examined:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakesh_411
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line...

Hello, I need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line... An example of entries in the file would be: SRVXPAPI001 ERRO JUN24 07:28:34 1775 REASON= 0000, PROCID= #E506 #1065: TPCIPPR, INDEX= 003F ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ferocci
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to combine lines from line with pattern match to a line that ends in a pattern

I am trying to combine lines with these conditions: 1. First line starts with text of "libname VALUE db2 datasrc" where VALUE can be any text. 2. If condition1 is met then continue to combine lines through a line that ends with a semicolon. 3. Ignore case when matching patterns and remove any... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wes Kem
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to combine two lines in a file based on first character of each line in a file

Hi, I have a requirement where I need to combine two lines in a file based on first character of each line in a file. Please find the sample content of the file below: Code: _______________________ 5, jaya, male, 4-5-90, single smart 6, prakash, male, 5-4-84, married fair 7, raghavi,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jayaP
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need to combine two lines in a file based on first character of each line in a file

Hi, I have a requirement where I need to combine two lines in a file based on first character of each line in a file. Please find the sample content of the file below: Code: _______________________ 5, jaya, male, 4-5-90, single smart 6, prakash, male, 5-4-84, married fair 7, raghavi,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jayaP
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to remove lines that do not start with digit and combine line or lines

I have been searching and trying to come up with an awk that will perform the following on a converted text file (original is a pdf). 1. Since the first two lines are (begin with) text they are removed 2. if $1 is a number then all text is merged (combined) into one line until the next... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk with sed to combine lines and remove specific odd # pattern from line

In the awk piped to sed below I am trying to format file by removing the odd xxxx_digits and whitespace after, then move the even xxxx_digit to the line above it and add a space between them. There may be multiple lines in file but they are in the same format. The Filename_ID line is the last line... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)