Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications SQL - how to alter info of a cell in table Post 302966956 by baris35 on Thursday 18th of February 2016 08:48:20 AM
Old 02-18-2016
SQL - how to alter info of a cell in table

Hello,
I am newbie on mysql and trying to edit my database from terminal under linux.
What I need to do is to change the information written in a cell in table.
Let me explain what I tried:

Code:
$ mysql -u mysqluser -p
$ show databases;
$ USE catalogue;
$ show tables ;
$ select * from phonebook;

it shows something like this:

+-------------+------------+--------+
| id | friend_name | age |
+-------------+------------+--------+
| 1 | Jaxier | 18 |
| 2 | Johanna | 26 |
| 3 | Johny | 25 |
| 4 | Lacatus | 18 |
| 5 | Julia | 25 |
+-------------+------------+---------+

What I want to do is to set age of Lacatus from 18 to 58

I tried below commands:

1)
Code:
$ update phonebook set id 4 SET age 58;

gives syntax error.

2)
Code:
$  ALTER phonebook ALTER id ALTER 4 SET age 58;

I 'd appreciate if you could explain what I should run in terminal

Thanks in advance
Boris

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alter Table Shell Script

I want to add some columns to a existing tables through a shell script. Please help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankitgupta
2 Replies

2. SuSE

my SQL Info command

Is there a command that will output all mysql details. eg. host name, port etc? Cheers Paul (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: runnerpaul
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get full sql table data using shell script

i have a Oracle table like col1 col2 ---- ----- a 1 b 2 c 3 when i write a script for it , it gives me all the data in one column. Please give me the solution which gives the exact result like we see in sql editors. for a in `echo " set feedback off; set pagesize 40;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ss135r
1 Replies

4. Programming

SQL: Alter existing bool after printing

I'm writing a DB to manage books & dvd's for the library. So after they added more books/dvd's, they press the print button and all newly added entries are printed. That is, as it prints all 'printed = false' entries, which (false) is the default value for that field for each new entry. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
3 Replies

5. Solaris

SQL QUERY to Table Output

Hi I am trying to run sql query from solaris in csh script and send the output to email. Below is my sql query select p.spid,se.program seprogram, se.machine, se.username, sq.sql_text,sq.retrows from v$process p inner join v$session se on p.addr = se.paddr inner join ( select... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tharmendran
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Putting query result dynamically to one cell of table from shell

I have to send a data in mail table format.only one cell need to get dynamically from query. my code is like (echo '<table boarder="1"> echo '<tr><td>stock</td><td>/path</td><td>.........</td></tr>' echo '</table> )sendmail.. in ......... I am trying to get query result.By putting query... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meera_123
2 Replies
MDBTools(1)															       MDBTools(1)

NAME
mdb-sql - SQL interface to MDB Tools SYNOPSIS
mdb-sql [-HFp] [-d delimiter] [-i file] [-o file] [database] DESCRIPTION
mdb-sql is a utility program distributed with MDB Tools. mdb-sql allows querying of an MDB database using a limited SQL subset language. OPTIONS
-H Supress header row. -F Supress footer row. -p Turn off pretty printing. By default results are printed in an ascii table format which looks nice but is not conducive to manipu- lating the output with unix tools. This option prints output plainly in a tab separated format. -d Specify an alternative column delimiter. If no delimiter is specified, columns will be delimited by a tab character if pretty print- ing (-p) is turned off. If pretty printing is enabled this option is meaningless. -i Specify an input file. This option allows an input file containing the SQL to be passed to mdb-sql. See Notes. -o Specify an output file. This option allows the name of an output file to be used instead of stdout. COMMANDS
mdb-sql in interactive mode takes some special commands. connect to <database> If no database was specified on the command line this command is necessary before any querys are issued. It also allows the switch- ing of databases once in the tool. disconnect Will disconnect from the current database. go Each batch is sent to the parser using the 'go' command. reset A batch can be cleared using the 'reset' command. list tables The list tables command will display a list of available tables in this database, similar to the mdb-tables utility on the command line. describe table <table> Will display the column information for the specified table. quit Will exit the tool. SQL LANGUAGE
The currently implemented SQL subset is quite small, supporting only single table queries, no aggregates, and limited support for WHERE clauses. Here is a brief synopsis of the supported language. select: SELECT [* | <column list>] FROM <table> WHERE <where clause> column list: <column> [, <column list>] where clause: <column> <operator> <literal> [AND <where clause>] operator: =, =>, =<, <>, like, <, > literal: integers, floating point numbers, or string literal in single quotes NOTES
When passing a file (-i) or piping output to mdb-sql the final 'go' is optional. This allow constructs like echo "Select * from Table1" | mdb-sql mydb.mdb to work correctly. The -i command can be passed the string 'stdin' to test entering text as if using a pipe. ENVIRONMENT
MDB_JET3_CHARSET Defines the charset of the input JET3 (access 97) file. Default is CP1252. See iconv(1). MDBICONV Defines the output charset. Default is UTF-8. mdbtools must have been compiled with iconv. MDBOPTS semi-column separated list of options: o use_index o no_memo o debug_like o debug_write o debug_usage o debug_ole o debug_row o debug_props o debug_all is a shortcut for all debug_* options HISTORY
mdb-sql first appeared in MDB Tools 0.3. SEE ALSO
gmdb2(1) mdb-export(1) mdb-hexdump(1) mdb-prop(1) mdb-ver(1) mdb-array(1) mdb-header(1) mdb-parsecsv(1) mdb-schema(1) mdb-tables(1) AUTHORS
The mdb-sql utility was written by Brian Bruns. BUGS
The supported SQL syntax is a very limited subset and deficient in several ways. 0.7 13 July 2013 MDBTools(1)