Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Classwork (group project)
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Classwork (group project) Post 302964909 by Scrutinizer on Thursday 21st of January 2016 03:01:45 AM
Old 01-21-2016
According to the man page of FreeBSD 11.0 :
Code:
     -d delim
	     Use delim as the field delimiter character instead of the tab character.

-f list
	     The list specifies fields, separated in the input by the field delimiter character
	     (see the -d option).  Output fields are separated by a single occurrence of the
	     field delimiter character.

https://www.unix.com/man-page/freebsd/1/cut/

Code:
$ printf "foo\tbar boo \tbaz\tbae\n" | cut -f3
baz
$

--
Quote:
Originally Posted by chakrapani
i tested same log (copy paste) and -f option and it worked for me with space.

on FreeBSD with /usr/bin/cut
The log file sample is TAB separated, so that is why it works in this case..

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 01-21-2016 at 06:08 AM..

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

SSH doesn't pick up user's project from /etc/project

We have a system running ssh. When a user logs in, they do not get the project they are assigned to (they run under "system"). I verify the project using the command "ps -e -o user,pid,ppid,args,project". If you do a "su - username", the user does get the project they are assigned to (and all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kurgan
2 Replies

2. Solaris

what is the use of /etc/project file and project administration commands?

i have two doubts.. 1. what is the use /etc/project file. i renamed this file and when i tried to switch user or login with some user account the login was happening slowly. but when i renamed it to original name it was working fine... why so? 2. unix already has useradd and grouadd for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

need a one liner to grep a group info from /etc/group and use that result to search passwd file

/etc/group tiadm::345:mk789,po312,jo343,ju454,ko453,yx879,iy345,hn453 bin::2:root,daemon sys::3:root,bin,adm adm::4:root,daemon uucp::5:root /etc/passwd mk789:x:234:1::/export/home/dummy:/bin/sh po312:x:234:1::/export/home/dummy:/bin/sh ju454:x:234:1::/export/home/dummy:/bin/sh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
6 Replies

4. News, Links, Events and Announcements

A new project was posted on The UNIX and Linux Forums project board.

A new project was posted on your project board. Project title: Bash Shell Tutoring Estimated Budget: $50/hr Start date: Immediately Required skills: Linux, Bash, Shell, UNIX I work as a datawarehouse designer and developer. Although I usually stick to the role of an analyst,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

5. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Apparently my post is Homework/Classwork?

I previously posted a question in the Shell Scripting forum a few minutes ago. I recieved a message telling me I had breached a rule, apparently because my post was a homework infraction. Well, im currently trying to figure out how to use Raspberry Pi's (as im a starter) I asked one of my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Waggie14
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

FINDING DUPLICATE PROJECT ( directory project )

I have a project tree like that. after running find command with the -no -empty option, i am able to have a list of non empty directory DO_MY_SEARCH="find . -type d -not -empty -print0" MY_EXCLUDE_DIR1=" -e NOT_IN_USE -e RTMAP -e NOT_USEFULL " echo " " > $MY_TEMP_RESULT_1 while... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies
MKCOVER(8)						      System Manager's Manual							MKCOVER(8)

NAME
mkcover - HylaFAX continuation cover page generation command SYNOPSIS
/var/spool/hylafax/bin/mkcover qfile template result DESCRIPTION
bin/mkcover is the command invoked by the facsimile server when a continuation cover page is required for an outbound job that is about to be retried. It generates a single POSTSCRIPT(R) page that is imaged according to the remote capabilities and transmitted as the cover page. The arguments are: qfile the job description file for the outbound job. template the cover page template file, as used by the faxcover(1) program. result the filename where the resultant POSTSCRIPT document should be written. The default mkcover command is a shell script that uses awk(1) to parse the job description file and generate the cover page document. The template file may be optionally compressed with compress(1), pack(1), or gzip(1); the filename suffix is used to decide whether or not the template file contains compressed data. SEE ALSO
faxq(8), hylafax-config(5), sendq(5) June 20, 1994 MKCOVER(8)