Sponsored Content
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions Repair windows 8.0 ntfs partition Post 302964332 by ppchu99 on Wednesday 13th of January 2016 02:11:20 PM
Old 01-13-2016
Repair windows 8.0 ntfs partition

I have a 1TB HD, suspect it had bad sectors and blocks...

it was pre-installed with windows 8.0..

I was able to boot up ubuntu and looked at the partitions and run a badblocks comand to verify secotors, after getting a serious of Input and Output errors mounting the partition and doing any IO..

I have heard this might be fixed by forcing the chkdsk run on a windows 8.x or 7.x environement, it might move the files off the bad blocks to the good one, or some kind of disk doctor functions..

I wonder if it could be done using a windows 8.x boot CD and/or some other external tools.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

File Sharing among NTFS Partition & RH Linux 9 Partitions

Well Guys, will anybody solve my problem? I have installed Win XP and RH Linux 9 (Dual Boot) on an Intel x86 Machine. Everything is going fine except that I cannot share files among the two operating systems. For example, if I download a PDF file from internet and save it in my Win XP partition... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jawwad
1 Replies

2. SuSE

writing on win ntfs partition from linux

Is it possible to save a file from linux environment to a windows ntfs partition? I use SUSE 8.3 and I can access win ntfs files only as read only. I want to know whether writing is possible on win ntfs partition. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suyashkunte
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can I mount Windows NTFS drive?

Just inherited a windows server to support. Windows 2003 Enterprise edition I can view driver / folders on the windows NTFS volume by mapping a drive from my windows laptop.. Can I mount this from a unix server also? I heard you can use Microsoft Services for Network File System... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
3 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Windows XP recovery/repair mode

hello again all, assume I can not log in to the windows installation, (maybe) because of a system file corruption or failure.. however, I do log in to the system using the windows CD with R (repair) mode, that is the command line prompt. Is there a way in that command prompt to copy the files... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
10 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

How to access a NTFS partition on hard drive through Terminal in OSX ?

Hi , I have a Mac OS X Lion mac book pro. I have a hard drive which I have partitioned in two (a) OSX Partition - Mac OS Extended Journaled format. Mount point: / (b) Data Partition - Windows NT Filesystem format. Mount point: /Volumes/Data I need to access the NTFS partition (I have a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: neil.k
6 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Can I create Windows repair software in USB rather than CD?

My CD drive isn't working. So, is there any way to create windows recovery/repair software in flash drive/usb. This is the s/w which we use if system fails to boot. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ravisingh
1 Replies

7. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Can I format a partition in Linux with FAT32 or NTFS?

I tried in fedora 9 to format a partition with FAT32 or NTFS but failed mkfs -t NTFS /dev/sdb3 mkfs -t FAT32 /dev/sdb3 In both the output says the the device isn't present. the output is something like this: mkfs.FAT32: no device present mkfs.NTFS: no device present I am able to format in... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

8. Boot Loaders

Can I test windows 7 repair usb even if windows is fine?

I successfully created a bootable windows 7 repair usb. Please clarify me: I rebooted my system via USB. windows repair window appeared. There were 5 options. I opted 'windows memory diagnostic' and it worked fine. There was an option named 'start up repair'. This option can be used if windows... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

9. Boot Loaders

Where to get windows 7 iso file of repair?

I need to make a bootable usb of windows 7 repair disc iso file so that I can use it in case my system doesn't boot up. On net I am getting complete windows 7 OS iso but I need only the repair disc for making bootable iso. I am not sure whether I used right word by using the word disc here... (3 Replies)
3 Replies
DISKPART(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					       DISKPART(8)

NAME
diskpart -- calculate default disk partition sizes SYNOPSIS
diskpart [-d] [-p] [-s size] disk-type DESCRIPTION
diskpart is used to calculate the disk partition sizes based on the default rules used at Berkeley. Available options and operands: -d An entry suitable for inclusion in the disk description file /etc/disktab is generated; for example, disktab(5). -p Tables suitable for inclusion in a device driver are produced. -s size The size of the disk may be limited to size with the -s option. On disks that use bad144(8) type of bad-sector forwarding, space is normally left in the last partition on the disk for a bad sector forward- ing table, although this space is not reflected in the tables produced. The space reserved is one track for the replicated copies of the ta- ble and sufficient tracks to hold a pool of 126 sectors to which bad sectors are mapped. For more information, see bad144(8). The -s option is intended for other controllers which reserve some space at the end of the disk for bad-sector replacements or other control areas, even if not a multiple of cylinders. The disk partition sizes are based on the total amount of space on the disk as given in the table below (all values are supplied in units of sectors). The 'c' partition is, by convention, used to access the entire physical disk. The device driver tables include the space reserved for the bad sector forwarding table in the 'c' partition; those used in the disktab and default formats exclude reserved tracks. In normal operation, either the 'g' partition is used, or the 'd', 'e', and 'f' partitions are used. The 'g' and 'f' partitions are variable-sized, occupying whatever space remains after allocation of the fixed sized partitions. If the disk is smaller than 20 Megabytes, then diskpart aborts with the message ``disk too small, calculate by hand''. Partition 20-60 MB 61-205 MB 206-355 MB 356+ MB a 15884 15884 15884 15884 b 10032 33440 33440 66880 d 15884 15884 15884 15884 e unused 55936 55936 307200 h unused unused 291346 291346 If an unknown disk type is specified, diskpart will prompt for the required disk geometry information. SEE ALSO
disktab(5), bad144(8) HISTORY
The diskpart command appeared in 4.2BSD. BUGS
Most default partition sizes are based on historical artifacts (like the RP06), and may result in unsatisfactory layouts. When using the -d flag, alternative disk names are not included in the output. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD