Sponsored Content
Operating Systems BSD Ping remote sever, nc, telnet, whatever Post 302963994 by 1in10 on Friday 8th of January 2016 06:42:58 PM
Old 01-08-2016
Ping remote sever, nc, telnet, whatever

I put this thread to shell and bsd, because I want to resolve this matter on bsd.
May somebody can explain to me how to ping a remote server, in unix. BTW the following code examples were tried on a linux system as well, with the same output, nothing. But on my bsd are not installed nmap neither netcat.
Furthermore there are more than one high anonymous or just anonymous servers, this is just one.

I tried so far the following commands (on linux)

Code:
nc -v -w 1 133.242.225.54 -z 80

output

Code:
133.242.225.54: inverse host lookup failed: Unknown host
(UNKNOWN) [133.242.225.54] 80 (http) : Connection timed out

Another example with telnet (on linux)
Code:
telnet 133.242.225.54/80

output (quote) no typing error:
Code:
telnet: could not resolve 133.242.225.54/80/telnet: Name or service not known

without the port
Code:
telnet 133.242.225.54
Trying 133.242.225.54...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection timed out

and as well ping as follows
Code:
ping -c1 -w3 133.242.225.54
PING 133.242.225.54 (133.242.225.54) 56(84) bytes of data.

output

Code:
--- 133.242.225.54 ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 2000ms

Does this mean the remote server is up? At least ping sent three packets, zero loss. But is it on air?
I am aware there are tries with the destination port and tries without it. If someone could give me a hint I really could go on. Thanks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

ping and telnet

I can ping other computers in my office. I can telnet other users in my office but i cannot get out of the office network. If i try to go out side of my network it cannot find host. Any ideas? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: macdonto
5 Replies

2. SCO

Openserver 5.0.4 can't be ping or telnet into from a remote site

Hi, Can anybody help me out why l can't not ping my server with Openserver 5.0.4 with my windows machine from a remote site. The machine could see the local LAN with the Router however, i can't ping or telnet unto the server from another site on the WAN. The default gateway was configure on the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayode
0 Replies

3. AIX

Ping/Telnet is not happening

Hi All, We are not able to ping to a AIX box...Network is ok..when we give ping from that AIX box..it is giving 0821-067 ping: The socket creation call failed.there is no enough buffer space for the requested socket operation. refresh -s inetd is also giving socket error. Please help to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: b_manu78
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

can ping but can not telnet UNIX

I have one problem and it is giving me hard time I can ping my windows machine root@x1ChXpress:/sbin >ping 192.168.129.66 192.168.129.66 is alive root@x1ChXpress:/sbin >netstat -rn Routing Table: Destination Gateway Flags Ref Use Interface... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amon
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run command on remote sever from script

I have two redhat linux server. i have created one script which contain some command that run on Local server as well as remote server.I am using this command to connect to remote server ssh user1@192.x.x.x 'command' but when i am running the script in local server it connecting to the server... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ranvijaidba
1 Replies

6. Infrastructure Monitoring

no telnet, ping ok...

We have a Sun Solaris Netra 20 server. Our O&M Server gets Alarm Processor not responding. When Alarm occurs, you can ping the sun server but cannot telnet it. We keep getting Interrupt level not serviced. var/adm/message log is > tail -f messages Apr 12 20:09:56 cama pcisch: PCI-device:... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: krabu
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ping and telnet - HP-UX

Hi all, I am not sure if my problem is specific to HP-UX or not. Hopefully someone can tell me what's wrong. I have a server name server1 10.100.50.10 in the /etc/hosts file and if I do a ping server1, it shows the right IP address. However, if I run telnet server1, it is not using... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
4 Replies

8. AIX

ping OK - telnet refused

Hi, After a crash of our older AIX server it happend as it is in the title: ping is ok, but telnet: What it can be this strange thing? Franci (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frajer
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ping,telnet, traceroute

can you provide the command in solaris8 if I wanted to ping,telnet, traceroute an IP address with a port? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ping and telnet timeout

Hello, I need help, I have the following which save in the result file ping and telnet:port test. Basically the script works but I should implement a check on ping and telnet command so that ping has 5 seconds threshold and telnet (more important) 10 seconds. Over that threshold ping and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: marmellata
0 Replies
External(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					     External(3pm)

NAME
Net::Ping::External - Cross-platform interface to ICMP "ping" utilities SYNOPSIS
In general: use Net::Ping::External qw(ping); ping(%options); Some examples: use Net::Ping::External qw(ping); # Ping a single host my $alive = ping(host => "127.0.0.1"); print "127.0.0.1 is online" if $alive; # Or a list of hosts my @hosts = qw(127.0.0.1 127.0.0.2 127.0.0.3 127.0.0.4); my $num_alive = 0; foreach (@hosts) { $alive = ping(hostname => $_, timeout => 5); print "$_ is alive! " if $alive; $num_alive++; } print "$num_alive hosts are alive. "; # Using all the fancy options: ping(hostname => "127.0.0.1", count => 5, size => 1024, timeout => 3); DESCRIPTION
Net::Ping::External is a module which interfaces with the "ping" command on many systems. It presently provides a single function, "ping()", that takes in a hostname and (optionally) a timeout and returns true if the host is alive, and false otherwise. Unless you have the ability (and willingness) to run your scripts as the superuser on your system, this module will probably provide more accurate results than Net::Ping will. Why? o ICMP ping is the most reliable way to tell whether a remote host is alive. o However, Net::Ping cannot use an ICMP ping unless you are running your script with privileged (AKA "root") access. o The system's "ping" command uses ICMP and does not usually require privileged access. o While it is relatively trivial to write a Perl script that parses the output of the "ping" command on a given system, the aim of this module is to encapsulate this functionality and provide a single interface for it that works on many systems. ping() OPTIONS This module is still "alpha"; it is expected that more options to the "ping()" function will be added soon. o "host, hostname" The hostname (or dotted-quad IP address) of the remote host you are trying to ping. You must specify either the "hostname" option or the "ip" option. "host" and "hostname" are synonymous. o "ip" A packed bit-string representing the 4-byte packed IP address (as returned by "Socket.pm"'s "inet_aton()" function) of the host that you would like to ping. o "timeout" The maximum amount of time, in seconds, that "ping()" will wait for a response. If the remote system does not respond before the timeout has elapsed, "ping()" will return false. Default value: 5. o "count" The number of ICMP ping packets to send to the remote host. Eventually, Net::Ping::External will return the number of packets that were acknowledged by the remote host; for now, however, "ping()" still returns just true or false. Default value: 1. o "size" Specifies the number of data bytes to be sent. The default is 56, which translates into 64 ICMP data bytes when combined with the 8 bytes of ICMP header data. Default value: 56. SUPPORTED PLATFORMS Support currently exists for interfacing with the standard ping utilities on the following systems. Please note that the path to the `ping' should be somewhere in your PATH environment variable (or your system's closest equivalent thereof.) Otherwise, Net::Ping::External will be unable to locate your system's `ping' command. o Win32 Tested OK on Win98, Win XP. It should work on other Windows systems as well. o Cygwin Tested OK on Cygwin 1.5.21. Problem is that we may be running windows ping. They have different options. o Linux Tested OK on Debian 2.2 and Redhat 6.2. It appears that different versions of Linux use different versions of ping, which support different options. Not sure how I'm going to resolve this yet; for now, all the options but "count" are disabled. o BSD Tested OK on OpenBSD 2.7 and 3.0, Netbsd 1.5.3, Freebsd 4.6.2, 5.4. Needs testing for BSDi. o Solaris Tested OK on Solaris 2.6 and 2.7. o IRIX Tested OK on IRIX 6.5. o AIX, DEC OSF, UNICOSMK, NeXTStep, HP-UX, BSD/OS (BSDi), BeOS Support for these systems is integrated into this module but none have been tested yet. If you have successful or unsuccessful test results for any of these systems, please send them to me. On some of these systems, some of the arguments may not be supported. If you'd like to see better support on your system, please e-mail me. More systems will be added as soon as any users request them. If your system is not currently supported, e-mail me; adding support to your system is probably trivial. BUGS
This module should be considered beta. Bugs may exist. Although no specific bugs are known at this time, the module could use testing on a greater variety of systems. See the warning below. WARNING
This module calls whatever "ping" program it first finds in your PATH environment variable. If your PATH contains a trojan "ping" program, this module will call that program. This involves a small amount of risk, but no more than simply typing "ping" at a system prompt. Beware Greeks bearing gifts. AUTHOR
Alexandr Ciornii (alexchorny AT gmail.com), Colin McMillen (colinm AT cpan.org) This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. CREDITS
Dan Moore contributed command-line options and code for NeXT, BeOS, HP-UX, and BSD/OS. Jarkko Hietaniemi contributed a huge list of command-line options and results for the `ping' command on 9 different systems. Randy Moore contributed several patches for Win32 support. Marc-Andre Dumas contributed a patch for FreeBSD support. Jonathan Stowe fixed a bug in 0.09 that prevented the module from running on some systems. Numerous people sent in a patch to fix a bug in 0.10 that broke ping on Windows systems. Peter N. Lewis contributed a patch that works correctly on Mac OS X 10.2 (and hopefully other versions as well). SEE ALSO
Net::Ping perl v5.10.1 2008-12-18 External(3pm)