Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Trouble with Shell Script Compressing file Post 302962614 by mr_zeratul on Wednesday 16th of December 2015 12:49:25 PM
Old 12-16-2015
Code:
Keep getting the following errors/outputs:
tar: Removing leading `/' from member names

tar does it for your own protection. To uncompress, specify -C.

Code:
The script still creates the compression file, but when I try to display the file size and file name with the stat command I get more info than I want, all I need to display is the file size and name after the echo command "The size of file1.tgz is:"

du -h $file, will suffice I guess

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compressing two files in a script

Hi, i have written a script in unix which produces two files(.csv file) at the end. Now i want to add these to files in a zip file and send the zip file across the network by FTP. Problem is that i dunno how to make a single zip file containing the two files that have been created by the script.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nimish
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble using substr function with Bourne shell script

Hi, I'm a newbie to UNIX scripting and I'm having some trouble compiling my script. I'm using the Bourne Shell and cannot seem to use the substr function correctly. I'm trying to extract the last two digits of a year that's stored in a variable based off of a condition. I've searched the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: E2004
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading/Compressing of log file

Hello All Posted a similar thread in some other section too. Regrets if this section is not suitable for this post. Request all the members to be tolerant as i'm a newbie here :) Coming to the topic : I've this huge log files of size 20GB-30 GB in my unix server. I want to analyse the log... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sgbhat
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there any way to find the compressed size of a file without compressing it in linux

i need to backup a directory from one partition to another and and compress that directory after backing up, so i need to predict the compressed size of the directory with out actually compressing it, to check whether the space is available in the destination partition to accommodate the zipped... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kesavan
2 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Trouble with Advanced Shell Programming

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I am working on a hands on project. We are creating a script for a corporate phone list. The project I am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SarahBelle7858
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing the file name while compressing

Hi, Is there any way to change the file name while compressing ? using Compress and gzip and tar ? Say, I have a file foo.txt - so I have to compress this file and the resultant file name is foo.txt_20130113.gz or foo.txt_20130113.Z This to be done while performing the compression... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
2 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Linux/UNIX Bash Shell Script trouble help needed!!

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 2. Shell Bash Script 3. !/bin/bash if echo no directory then mkdir -p /home/AC_Drywall elif ; then echo "$dir already exist" fi (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TomFord1
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compressing old files as zip file through script

I have below files in foler one/archive> one. txt 6/21/2013 two txt 7/23/2013 three.txt 6/20/2013 I wanted to move all the old files (>30 days) compressing single .zip file into one/archive/ as below two txt 7/23/2013 oldfiles.zip 6/21/2013 Please provide... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ganesh L
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tcsh Shell trouble

Need assistance in getting a solution for a TCSH shell environment variable . I read on internet that leading zeros as octal numbers and redhat doesnt supports octals but Solaris works on TCSH shell. Is there any way we can fix this . All my script has 08 or 09 $ @ x = 5 + 08 @: Badly formed... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram_arya
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Shell Scrip in Masking particular columns in .csv file or .txt file using shell script

Hello Unix Shell Script Experts, I have a script that would mask the columns in .csv file or .txt file. First the script will untar the .zip files from Archive folder and processes into work folder and finally pushes the masked .csv files into Feed folder. Two parameters are passed ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mahesh G
5 Replies
Locale::Script(3perl)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				     Locale::Script(3perl)

NAME
Locale::Script - standard codes for script identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Script; $script = code2script('phnx'); # 'Phoenician' $code = script2code('Phoenician'); # 'Phnx' $code = script2code('Phoenician', LOCALE_CODE_NUMERIC); # 115 @codes = all_script_codes(); @scripts = all_script_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Script" module provides access to standards codes used for identifying scripts, such as those defined in ISO 15924. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 15924 four-letter codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying scripts. The ones currently supported are: alpha This is a set of four-letter (capitalized) codes from ISO 15924 such as 'Phnx' for Phoenician. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA". The Zxxx, Zyyy, and Zzzz codes are not used. This is the default code set. numeric This is a set of three-digit numeric codes from ISO 15924 such as 115 for Phoenician. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_SCRIPT_NUMERIC". ROUTINES
code2script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) script2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) script_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_script_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_script_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Script::rename_script ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::delete_script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Script::delete_script_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Script::rename_script_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::delete_script_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes Locale::Constants http://www.unicode.org/iso15924/ Home page for ISO 15924. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2001 Canon Research Centre Europe (CRE). Copyright (c) 2001-2010 Neil Bowers Copyright (c) 2010-2011 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2011-09-26 Locale::Script(3perl)