Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Dual Boot vs VM vs Wine?
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions Dual Boot vs VM vs Wine? Post 302960776 by blackrageous on Thursday 19th of November 2015 01:32:56 PM
Old 11-19-2015
I recommend a VM with either Windows or Linux as a host. This allows you to have access to both O/S 's (unlike dual booting).
This User Gave Thanks to blackrageous For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dual boot no more

Ok I had a windows and RH dual boot system and have now converted over completly to the linux system. How do I regain the other half of my drive? I cannot see it in the disk manager. what do I do to format so that i can mount it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: macdonto
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dual Boot help...

Hi there! I have a laptop which I plan on installing a dual boot on with Windows and Linux. I have Windows 98 installed at the moment, and I also have a copy of Slackware 8. I talked to friend, and he said he had some problems installing a dual boot with linux on his laptop... So I just came... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satan404
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Dual Boot on HP-UX

Hy all Does anyone have Info on how to make a dual boot HP UX 10-20 HP UX 11 on a server ? Thanks in advance Olivier (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Olivier
3 Replies

4. IP Networking

XP -- Redhat Dual Boot

Hi guys! Need some help here.....trying to install Redhat 8.0 on a laptop that is already running WinXP. Have made a partition with partition magic but when I try to install Linux it just stops at the check partition/ check hard-drive stage. It has happened on two different laptops of different... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syrex
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Dual boot problem

Hi All, I have a pc loaded with windows 2000 professional. Recently added new disk of size 80GB and installed redhat linux to second disk. Now system is booting to linux but not to windows 2000. How to configure for dual boot. Thanks in advance - Bache Gowda (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bache_gowda
3 Replies

6. BSD

dual boot

I have recently installed free bsd on my windows xp laptop so that now it is a dual boot system. It worked fine for the first couple of days, but now whenever I try to boot into windows it hangs, giving the message WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\agp440.sys, bsd however, loads fine. I was wondering either... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: elfhat
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Dual boot issue

Hi All, 1st HDD is loaded with Windows 2000 Professional and I have installed Red Hat ES 3.0 on second HDD(80GB). After linux installation failed to load windows and boot stucks with displaying only L How to fix this issue Thanks in advance for your valuable answer. Regards, Bachegowda (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bache_gowda
1 Replies

8. Linux

Dual-boot help

Does anyone know if it is possible to have a dual-boot machine with Linux (RH FC 5) and Unix (Solaris 10)? I currently have one OS (Linux RH FC 5) on one drive (master) and another OS (Unix - Solaris 10) on the other drive (slave). I am a little unsure of what to modify the grub.config file with,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trmn8r
1 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Dual boot

Hi, I am having 1 TB hard disk and in that I have to install windows,linux 64 bit and linux 32 bit total 3 operating systems I need to install, how could I do that please help. I am having 64 bit machine h/w Thanks, Trimurtulu (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ktrimu
5 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Do you dual-boot with other os

When I first started using Linux (Ubuntu) I decided to just do a full install. The PC I installed it on, was full of viruses and to be honest, I was never good handling them. So, I decided to just go for it and install. Anyways I got another computer recently, a much newer one and I decided to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: billcrosby
3 Replies
LINUX(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						  LINUX(4)

NAME
linux -- Linux ABI support SYNOPSIS
To compile support for this ABI into an i386 kernel place the following line in your kernel configuration file: options COMPAT_LINUX for an amd64 kernel use: options COMPAT_LINUX32 Alternatively, to load the ABI as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): linux_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The linux module provides limited Linux ABI (application binary interface) compatibility for userland applications. The module provides the following significant facilities: o An image activator for correctly branded elf(5) executable images o Special signal handling for activated images o Linux to native system call translation It is important to note that the Linux ABI support it not provided through an emulator. Rather, a true (albeit limited) ABI implementation is provided. The following sysctl(8) tunable variables are available: compat.linux.osname Linux kernel operating system name. compat.linux.osrelease Linux kernel operating system release. Changing this to something else is discouraged on non-development systems, because it may change the way Linux programs work. Recent versions of GNU libc are known to use different syscalls depending on the value of this sysctl. compat.linux.oss_version Linux Open Sound System version. The linux module can be linked into the kernel statically with the COMPAT_LINUX kernel configuration option or loaded as required. The fol- lowing command will load the module if it is neither linked into the kernel nor already loaded as a module: if ! kldstat -v | grep -E 'linux(aout|elf)' > /dev/null; then kldload linux > /dev/null 2>&1 fi Note that dynamically linked Linux executables will require a suitable environment in /compat/linux. Specifically, the Linux run-time linker's hints files should be correctly initialized. For this reason, it is common to execute the following commands to prepare the system to correctly run Linux executables: if [ -x /compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig ]; then /compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig -r /compat/linux fi For information on loading the linux kernel loadable module automatically on system startup, see rc.conf(5). This information applies regardless of whether the linux module is statically linked into the kernel or loaded as a module. FILES
/compat/linux minimal Linux run-time environment /compat/linux/proc limited Linux process file system /compat/linux/sys limited Linux system file system SEE ALSO
brandelf(1), elf(5), linprocfs(5), linsysfs(5) HISTORY
Linux ABI support first appeared in FreeBSD 2.1. BSD
February 8, 2010 BSD