Sponsored Content
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions Simple 'date' to 001 scheme script Post 302958124 by Don Cragun on Monday 19th of October 2015 03:07:27 PM
Old 10-19-2015
Show us the script you're using to get 1.file ... 9.file 10.file... and we'll show you how to simply modify it to produce numbers with a specified number of digits with leading zeros. Note that something like:
Code:
printf '%04d.file' $number

is likely to be at the heart of it (for four digit sequence numbers).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Tips and Tutorials

Simple date and time calulation in BASH

The GNU date command in full of goodies but not when it comes to calculate a date or time difference. Here is what I came up with after looking to more than one solution. Code should be self explaining. #!/bin/bash date2stamp () { date --utc --date "$1" +%s } stamp2date (){ ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ripat
0 Replies

2. HP-UX

a simple way of converting a date in seconds to normal date

Hi all! I'm working on a HPUX system, and I was wondering if there is a simple way to convert a date from seconds (since 1970) to a normal date. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: travian
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple date problem

i have a script that grep for today date a=`date +"%F"`--------greps current/today date wat if suppose i want to grep a date for yesterday... how to do that using the above format: i,e 2008-01-20 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple date formatting?

Hi guys, I have some embedded perl within my shell script to get me the modification time/date of a file which returns me the following string: Fri May 1 09:52:58 2009 I have managed to get the bits i need such as 1-May-2009, but what i would prefer is 010509 instead... Here is my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: muay_tb
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple date issue

Hi all, i have used the search already before someone shouts at me and i have seen the 'datecalc' program but this is not working correctly for me in the shell and environment i am using. I am using solaris 10 and bourne shell. I have two dates '07-04-2009' and '05-05-2009'. I just need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: muay_tb
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can get the value 001 using shell script

Hi Gurus, Please help in this shell script. x=000 y=`expr $x + 1` echo $y which gives me the value as 1 How can i get the value as 001 in this shell script. As i am new to scripting stuck up here. Requesting here help here (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nmadhuhb
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help making simple perl or bash script to create a simple matrix

Hello all! This is my first post and I'm very new to programming. I would like help creating a simple perl or bash script that I will be using in my work as a junior bioinformatician. Essentially, I would like to take a tab-delimted or .csv text with 3 columns and write them to a "3D" matrix: ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
16 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple date and time calulation in BASH

There is a closed Thread: <url>Here will be the url to the original post once I have 5 posts in this forum...</url> But a small bug had found his way into this very cool and simple code. #!/bin/bash date2stamp () { date --utc --date "$1" +%s } stamp2date (){ date --utc --date... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frood
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple date issue

Hi , Here is the smaller version of the problem. Working individually as command ************************>echo $SHELL /bin/bash ************************>TO_DAY=`date` ************************>echo $TO_DAY Tue Jul 16 02:28:31 EDT 2013 ************************> Not working when... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anupam_Halder
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to do simple date (time) calculation in shell script?

Hi, I'm looking for a way to do a simple math calc during a shell script as a means of logging how long a particular task takes. For example... STARTTIME=whenever this script starts ./path/to/command.sh >>logfile.log TOTALTIME=<time at this stage of the script after above command... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nbsparks
7 Replies
VIEWPERL(1)							   User Commands						       VIEWPERL(1)

NAME
viewperl - quickly view syntax highlighted Perl code SYNOPSIS
viewperl [OPTION]... FILE... DESCRIPTION
View a Perl source code file, syntax highlighted. -c, --code=CODE view CODE, syntax highlighted -l, --lines display line numbers -L, --no-lines supress display of line numbers (default) -m, --module=FILE consider FILE the name of a module, not a file name -n, --name display the name of each file (default) -N, --no-name supress display of file names (implied by --no-reset) -p, --pod display inline POD documentation (default) -P, --no-pod hide POD documentation (line numbers still increment) -r, --reset reset formatting and line numbers each file (default) -R, --no-reset supress resetting of formatting and line numbers -s, --shift=WIDTH set tab width (default is 4) -t, --tabs translate tabs into spaces (default) -T, --no-tabs supress translating of tabs into spaces --help display this help and exit Note that module names should be given as they would appear after a Perl `use' or `require' statement. `Getopt::Long', for example. Each string given using -c is considered a different file, so line number and formatting resets will apply. View a Perl source code file, syntax highlighted. -c, --code=CODE view CODE, syntax highlighted -l, --lines display line numbers -L, --no-lines supress display of line numbers (default) -m, --module=FILE consider FILE the name of a module, not a file name -n, --name display the name of each file (default) -N, --no-name supress display of file names (implied by --no-reset) -p, --pod display inline POD documentation (default) -P, --no-pod hide POD documentation (line numbers still increment) -r, --reset reset formatting and line numbers each file (default) -R, --no-reset supress resetting of formatting and line numbers -s, --shift=WIDTH set tab width (default is 4) -t, --tabs translate tabs into spaces (default) -T, --no-tabs supress translating of tabs into spaces --help display this help and exit Note that module names should be given as they would appear after a Perl `use' or `require' statement. `Getopt::Long', for example. Each string given using -c is considered a different file, so line number and formatting resets will apply. viewperl August 2007 VIEWPERL(1)