Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Files getting corrupted
Special Forums Hardware Files getting corrupted Post 302953617 by rlopes on Sunday 30th of August 2015 06:33:15 PM
Old 08-30-2015
Here are some of the dmesg errors:

Code:
BMDMA stat 0x24o services enabled
failed command: READ DMA
status { DRDY ERR.0 }
I/O error, dev sda, sector 404664
failed command: READ DMA

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Corrupted files from Windows to Unix Sco

I downloaded some applications from CD on a windows2000 PC to a Unix Sco machine using the WS-FTP program. When I tried to run the applications on the Unix machines I got an error. The files must have been corrupted in the process of transferring files from a Windows 2000 to a Unix Sco... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: BAM
9 Replies

2. SCO

kernerl corrupted

hi , how do i get boot on sco5.04 if it has a kernel corruption . and no kernel backup . is there any option on the boot : before i hit enter ? thx art :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: art_malabanan
3 Replies

3. AIX

LV corrupted

I'm getting the following error after we replaced a failed disk in a mirrored logical volume. We cleared the device entry in ODM before adding the new disk but when we create the mirror we get the following error after running lslv. 0516-022 lslv: Illegal parameter or structure value.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Alfredo Jimenez
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

Could be a corrupted file?

Hello! Do you know the meaning of... "crw-rw---- 1 informix informix 64 0x020001 Jan 21 2004 rifxroot" I don't know what the first "c" means. Furthermor, if I try to copy this file (rifxroot) it appears a message: "cp: cannot open rifxroot: No such device or address" I don't... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kaugrs
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting files from corrupted tape

I've got a backuptape in cpio format that was accidentally overwritten with a very small batch file. As I assume that the cpio header has been overwritten, I cannot extract files from the backup in the conventional manner: ( cpio -itv </dev/rct0 cpio: this is not a cpio file, bad header) ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mart4179
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fixing corrupted vcard files.

KDE's Kontact PIM breaks quoted-printable vcard files because it linebreaks in the middle of a word. Take this text for example: NOTE;CHARSET=UTF-8;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:=D7=A9=D7=95=D7=A8=D7=94 =D7=A 8=D7=90=D7=A9=D7=95=D7=A0=D7=94.\n=D7=94=D7=A9=D7=95=D7=A8=D7=94 =D7=94=D7= ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dotancohen
7 Replies

7. Solaris

PAM login library files corrupted, have ILOM, can I get root?

I was installing sfw sudo and its dependencies (libiconv, libintl, libgcc)on Solaris 10, running on an x86 x4200 and I corrupted some PAM library files. It's a standard Solaris 10 base install, with some added software & libraries from a vendor. I am on console trying to get root access back,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mariognarly
1 Replies

8. HP-UX

WinRAR files are corrupted after FTP

In my Windows 2003 server machine I have a winrar or winzip file that i around 3GB. This zip/rar file is ftped to a unix mahine (HPUX) . FTP is successful. But when it get this file to check if its has been ftped correctly, the file is corrupted. Is there something wrong that i am doing while... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maroli
4 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

/etc/name_to_sysnum corrupted

Hi all , i have an issue in netra 20 server when i boot the system its getting rebooting and it is giving tha" /etc/name_to_sysnum " file not found i done OK> boot -ar then also not solved please can any body send the answer ASAP regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wkbn86
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

cronjob corrupted

dear all , i was trying to run a cron as root , something happened because it displayed "/tmp/crontabC5a4lB" 14 lines, 495 characters cron may not be running - call your system administrator does anyone knows the problems? thanks ---------- Post updated at 01:05 PM... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: semaan
2 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)