Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Rescue "LiveCD" for UNIX (as opposed to Linux) Post 302948407 by jgt on Monday 29th of June 2015 01:32:46 PM
Old 06-29-2015
Out of curiosity, I booted a Unixware 7.1.4 system (with a standard sata disk) with a Mandrake Live CD.
When I tried to inspect the disk using the Dolphin file manager, I received the following error message "PermissionDeniedbyPolicy".

We Also Found This Discussion For You

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Commands on Digital Unix equivalent to for "top" and "sar" on other Unix flavour

Hi, We have a DEC Alpha 4100 Server with OSF1 Digital Unix 4.0. Can any one tell me, if there are any commands on this Unix which are equivalent to "top" and "sar" on HP-UX or Sun Solaris ? I am particularly interested in knowing the CPU Load, what process is running on which CPU, etc. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sameerdes
1 Replies
reboot(2)							System Calls Manual							 reboot(2)

Name
       reboot - reboot system or halt processor

Syntax
       #include <sys/reboot.h>

reboot(howto)
       int howto;

Arguments
       howto   The howto argument is a mask of options passed to the bootstrap program.

The bits of howto are:

RB_HALT
		      the processor is simply halted; no reboot takes place.  RB_HALT should be used with caution.

RB_ASKNAME
		      Interpreted  by  the bootstrap program itself, causing it to inquire as to what file should be booted.  Normally, the system
		      is booted from the file "xx(0,0)vmunix" without asking.

RB_SINGLE
		      Normally, the reboot procedure involves an automatic disk consistency check and then multi-user operations.  RB_SINGLE  pre-
		      vents  the consistency check, rather simply booting the system with a single-user shell on the console.  RB_SINGLE is inter-
		      preted by the init(8) program in the newly booted system.  This switch is not available from the system call interface.

Only the superuser may a machine.

Description
       The system call reboots the system, and is invoked automatically in the event of unrecoverable system failures.	The system call  interface
       permits	only  RB_HALT or RB_AUTOBOOT to be passed to the reboot program; the other flags are used in scripts stored on the console storage
       media or used in manual bootstrap procedures.  When none of these options (for example, RB_AUTOBOOT) is given, the system is rebooted  from
       file in the root file system of unit 0 of a disk chosen in a processor-specific way.  Normally, an automatic consistency check of the disks
       is then performed.

Return Values
       If successful, this call never returns.	Otherwise, a -1 is returned, and an error is stored in the global variable errno.

Diagnostics
       The call fails under the following condition:

[EPERM]	      The caller is not the superuser.

See Also
       crash(8v), halt(8), init(8), reboot(8)

reboot(2)