Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: MSYS2 on Windows 7 VM
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions MSYS2 on Windows 7 VM Post 302946832 by mrm5102 on Friday 12th of June 2015 06:22:51 PM
Old 06-12-2015
MSYS2 on Windows 7 VM

Hello All,

Hopefully I'm posting this in the correct place...

I just recently installed MSYS2 (*32-bit) on a Windows 7 VM I have running on my Linux Host. I have a basic question about User management on MSYS.

MSYS2 i686: Version 20150512

I'm guessing when MSYS gets installed it uses your Window's info, like username/etc to create your user in MSYS and to build your User's HOME dir (*i.e. /home/<win_username>)and stuff like that. Since My Window's User contains my first and last name, when MSYS installed it created my home dir as "/home/First Last", with the whitespace inbetween... This is starting to become a real nuisance. I could not find the file I would normally use to be able fix this, which is "/etc/passwd". So I'm kind of stumped on how I can resolve this.

I didn't want to just rename the HOME dir to something else because I figured that would break the env var HOME and also "~" (*i.e. tilde).

So basically what I want to do is change my Username and Group Name in MSYS, as well as change the Home directory after the username is changed.

Is this possible? Any thoughts or suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Thanks in Advance,
Matt

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

[MSYS2/GCC-TDM] Compiler not finding headers in /usr/local/include

I hope it's okay to post this here. I'm working on Windows computer but using the Unix-like environment MSYS2 (https://sourceforge.net/projects/msys2). My problem is that I can't get the compiler to find headers located in /usr/local/include. I am trying to compile libpng which wants the header... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AntumDeluge
1 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users > I tried to build libtiff on MSYS2+minGW but found an interruption

When I tried to build libtiff on MSYS2+minGW and opened the MSYS2 shell, got error: $ ./configure configure: loading site script /etc/config.site checking build system type... Invalid configuration `x86_64-pc-msys': system `msys' not recognized configure: error: /bin/sh config/config.sub... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abdulbadii
1 Replies

3. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Can I replace the gcc, and along with all other binaries, in MSYS2 minGW64 with the MinGW64 Project

Can I replace the gcc, and along with all other binaries too, in MSYS2 minGW64 with ones by MinGW64 Project Can i safely replace the gcc, if asked, telling its version: gcc.exe (Rev2, Built by MSYS2 project) 6.2.0 Copyright (C) 2016 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abdulbadii
1 Replies
GLOBUS-UPDATE-CERT(8)					      GSI-C OpenSSL Commands					     GLOBUS-UPDATE-CERT(8)

NAME
globus-update-certificate-dir - Update symlinks in the trusted CA directory SYNOPSIS
globus-update-certificate-dir [-help] [-d DIRECTORY] DESCRIPTION
The globus-update-certificate-dir program creates symlinks between files (CA certificates, certificate revocation lists, signing policy, and certificate request configuration files) using the certificate hash the installed version of OpenSSL uses. OpenSSL 1.0.0 uses a different name hashing algorithm than previous versions, so CA distributions created with older versions of OpenSSL might not be able to locate trusted CAs and related files. Running globus-update-certificate-dir against a trusted CA directory will add symlinks to the files to the hash if needed. The full set of command-line options to globus-update-certificate-dir consists of: -help Display a help message to standard output and exit -d DIRECTORY Create links in the trusted CA directory DIRECTORY instead of using the default search path. ENVIRONMENT
If the following variables affect the execution of globus-update-certificate-dir X509_CERT_DIR Default trusted certificate directory. HOME Path to the current user's home directory. GLOBUS_LOCATION Path to the Globus installation. University of Chicago 02/18/2010 GLOBUS-UPDATE-CERT(8)