Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Problematic RTL8188EE Wireless Network Adapter Post 302945036 by RogerBaran on Monday 25th of May 2015 04:38:31 PM
Old 05-25-2015
hmmmmm. Definitely. Hadn't thought of that!

---------- Post updated at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:28 PM ----------

I forgot to answer you question about the modules involved...
Code:
root@redbrick /home/redbrick: modprobe -av rtl8188ee
insmod /lib/modules/3.19.5-200.fc21.x86_64/kernel/net/wireless/cfg80211.ko.xz 
insmod /lib/modules/3.19.5-200.fc21.x86_64/kernel/net/mac80211/mac80211.ko.xz 
insmod /lib/modules/3.19.5-200.fc21.x86_64/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rtlwifi/rtlwifi.ko 
insmod /lib/modules/3.19.5-200.fc21.x86_64/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rtlwifi/rtl8188ee/rtl8188ee.ko

---------- Post updated at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:26 PM ----------

We'll I unloaded the driver stack prior to suspend.
Then I opened the lid of the laptop and ran:
Code:
redbrick@redbrick ~: sudo modprobe -av rtl8188ee
insmod /lib/modules/3.19.5-200.fc21.x86_64/kernel/net/wireless/cfg80211.ko.xz 
insmod /lib/modules/3.19.5-200.fc21.x86_64/kernel/net/mac80211/mac80211.ko.xz 
insmod /lib/modules/3.19.5-200.fc21.x86_64/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rtlwifi/rtlwifi.ko 
insmod /lib/modules/3.19.5-200.fc21.x86_64/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rtlwifi/rtl8188ee/rtl8188ee.ko 

redbrick@redbrick ~: sudo lshw | grep network
           *-network DISABLED
           *-network

It appears that it is not the driver stack that is causing the card to become disabled...

Maybe it the ACPI??

I did notice that the system log shows a notice that the generic ACPI should be replaced by a proprietary driver if available...

Code:
May 25 15:29:10 redbrick kernel: ACPI Warning: SystemIO range 0x0000000000006040-0x000000000000605f conflicts with OpRegion 0x0000000000006040-0x000000000000604f (\_SB_.PCI0.SBUS.SMBI) (20141107/utaddress-258)
May 25 15:29:10 redbrick kernel: ACPI: If an ACPI driver is available for this device, you should use it instead of the native driver

Thoughts?

Last edited by RogerBaran; 05-25-2015 at 05:56 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

hacmp network adapter re-define

I have an LPAR in a P5 machine which has been setup in an HACMP cluster. The person who set it up allocated the wrong network adapter (en) to the persistent network. For the life of me I cannot find where I can re-assign this adapter. Anyone able to help me as I am tearing my hair out and do not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnf
1 Replies

2. AIX

change network adapter

hello i've need to change network adapter on machine H80 aix 4.3.3 hacmp ( ent0 ) what i need to do after the new adapter installed on the machine? thanks best regards ariec (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ariec
1 Replies

3. AIX

How to active this network adapter?

When I configure two VIO Servers, VIOS1 used to ping its gateway, after I configured second VIOS2, VIOS1 cannpt ping its gateway, when I run this command: entstat -all ent#|grep -i priority Priority: 5 Active: False How to make Active to True? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

External Network Adapter for Solaris 10

Hi All, I am new here - this is my first post. I have installed Solaris 10 5/09 on my Dell M6300. The install went well, but the Dell's onboard network card is the Broadcom BCM5756ME Gigabit Ethernet - and sadly no Solaris driver exists for it. The Solaris 10 install just jumped by the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: soulmerchant
1 Replies

5. IP Networking

Maximum IP Address Configured on Intel Network Adapter

Hi All, Sorry if this is not the correct forum to answer. But hope somebody can help me... For these two types of network adapter: Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Server Adapter Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Dual Port Network Adapter How many IP addresses can be configured on it at the same time? System... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wilsonSurya
3 Replies

6. IP Networking

my wireless usb adapter connect to net but the signal is very weak

i have wireless usb adapter rtl8187 from micromax company my proplem is the signal is very weak and i cannot open website can i increase the signal ? iwconfig lo no wireless extensions. eth0 no wireless extensions. wmaster0 no wireless extensions. wlan0... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsd220
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SCO Unixware 7.1.4 Network Adapter Error

Hi All I P2Vd a Unixware 7.1.4 box with VMWare Vsphere. I try to add a network adapter under Network Configuration Manager and it comes up with the error attached. I've added a virtual adapter using the "E1000" option. It detects both the AMD PCI NET and E1000 virtual adapters under Network... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: flashinwrx
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simulated driver for Network Interface Adapter

Hi all, I got sort of a task to do. I have to write in C "simulated network driver". What does it mean? - It has to run on all network adapters - It has to be as simple as it can be - It has to run on all linux distributions (or at least most of them) - It does not have to run a network... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chrisdot
4 Replies

9. Hardware

Configuring a D-Link DWA-130 Wireless Adapter

How do I configure my wireless adapter to access the internet? I am running PCLinuxOS 2010. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryan352333
0 Replies

10. SCO

Can not recognize network adapter SCO UNIX in HP z400

hi .I've installed an operating system SCO in HP Z400 and network cards ZyXEL model FN312 with Chipset RTL8139D put it on .network card installed but do not display network card with command ifconfig -a in list and just show loopback. show message : dlpid:unable to open network adapter driver... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: moein.mojtaba
14 Replies
MODPROBE(8)						       Linux Module Support						       MODPROBE(8)

NAME
modprobe - high level handling of loadable modules SYNOPSIS
modprobe [-adnqv] [-C config] module [symbol=value ...] modprobe [-adnqv] [-C config] [-t type] pattern modprobe -l [-C config] [-t type] pattern modprobe -c [-C config] modprobe -r [-dnv] [-C config] [module ...] modprobe -Vh OPTIONS
-a, --all Load all matching modules instead of stopping after the first successful loading. -c, --showconfig Show the currently used configuration. -C, --config config Use the file config instead of (the optional) /etc/modules.conf to specify the configuration. The environment variable MODULECONF can also be used to select (and override) a different configuration file from the default /etc/modules.conf (or /etc/conf.modules (deprecated)). When environment variable UNAME_MACHINE is set, modutils will use its value instead of the machine field from the uname() syscall. This is mainly of use when you are compiling 64 bit modules in 32 bit user space or vice versa, set UNAME_MACHINE to the type of the modules. Current modutils does not support full cross build mode for modules, it is limited to choosing between 32 and 64 bit versions of the host architecture. -d, --debug Show information about the internal representation of the stack of modules. -h, --help Display a summary of options and immediately exit. -k, --autoclean Set 'autoclean' on loaded modules. Used by the kernel when it calls on modprobe to satisfy a missing feature (supplied as a module). The -q option is implied by -k. These options will automatically be sent to insmod. -l, --list List matching modules. -n, --show Don't actually perform the action, just show what would be done. -q, --quiet Do not complain about insmod failing to install a module. Continue as normal, but silently, with other possibilities for modprobe to test. This option will automatically be sent to insmod. -r, --remove Remove module (stacks) or do autoclean, depending on whether there are any modules mentioned on the command line. -s, --syslog Report via syslog instead of stderr. This options will automatically be sent to insmod. -t moduletype; --type moduletype Only consider modules of this type. modprobe will only look at modules whose directory path includes exactly "/moduletype/". moduletype can include more than one directory name, e.g. "-t drivers/net" would list modules in xxx/drivers/net/ and its subdirectories. -v, --verbose Print all commands as they are executed. -V, --version Display the version of modprobe. Note: Module names must not contain paths (no '/'), nor may they contain the trailing '.o'. For example, slip is a valid module name for modprobe, /lib/modules/2.2.19/net/slip and slip.o are invalid. This applies to the command line and to entries in the config. DESCRIPTION
The modprobe and depmod utilities are intended to make a Linux modular kernel more manageable for all users, administrators and distribution maintainers. Modprobe uses a "Makefile"-like dependency file, created by depmod, to automatically load the relevant module(s) from the set of modules available in predefined directory trees. Modprobe is used to load a single module, a stack of dependent modules, or all modules that are marked with a specified tag. Modprobe will automatically load all base modules needed in a module stack, as described by the dependency file modules.dep. If the loading of one of these modules fails, the whole current stack of modules loaded in the current session will be unloaded automatically. Modprobe has two ways of loading modules. One way (the probe mode) will try to load a module out of a list (defined by pattern). Modprobe stops loading as soon as one module loads successfully. This could be used to autoload one Ethernet driver out of a list. The other way modprobe can be used is to load all modules from a list. See EXAMPLES, below. With the option -r, modprobe will automatically unload a stack of modules, similar to the way "rmmod -r" does. Note that using just "modprobe -r" will clean up unused autoloaded modules and also perform the pre- and post-remove commands in the configuration file /etc/modules.conf. The combining the options -l and -t lists all available modules of a certain type. Option -c will print the currently used configuration (default + configuration file). CONFIGURATION
The behavior of modprobe (and depmod) can be modified by the (optional) configuration file /etc/modules.conf. For a more detailed description of what this file can contain, as well as the default configuration used by depmod and modprobe, see modules.conf(5). Note that the pre- and post-remove commands will not be executed if a module is "autocleaned" by kerneld! Look for the up-coming support for persistent module storage instead. If you want to use the pre- and post-install features, you will have to turn off autoclean for kerneld and instead put something like the following line in your crontab (this is used for kmod systems as well) to do autoclean every 2 minutes: */2 * * * * test -f /proc/modules && /sbin/modprobe -r STRATEGY
The idea is that modprobe will look first in the directory containing modules compiled for the current release of the kernel. If the module is not found there, modprobe will look in the directory common to the kernel version (e.g. 2.0, 2.2). If the module is still found, modprobe will look in the directory containing modules for a default release, and so on. When you install a new linux, the modules should be moved to a directory related to the release (and version) of the kernel you are installing. Then you should do a symlink from this directory to the "default" directory. Each time you compile a new kernel, the command "make modules_install" will create a new directory, but won't change the "default" link. When you get a module unrelated to the kernel distribution you should place it in one of the version-independent directories under /lib/modules. This is the default strategy, which can be overridden in /etc/modules.conf. EXAMPLES
modprobe -t net Load one of the modules that are stored in the directory tagged "net". Each module are tried until one succeeds. modprobe -a -t boot All modules that are stored in directories tagged "boot" will be loaded. modprobe slip This will attempt to load the module slhc.o if it was not previously loaded, since the slip module needs the functionality in the slhc module. This dependency will be described in the file modules.dep that was created automatically by depmod. modprobe -r slip This will unload the slip module. It will also unload the slhc module automatically, unless it is used by some other module as well (e.g. ppp). FILES
/etc/modules.conf (alternatively but deprecated /etc/conf.modules) /lib/modules/*/modules.dep, /lib/modules/* SEE ALSO
depmod(8), lsmod(8), kerneld(8), ksyms(8), rmmod(8). SAFE MODE
If the effective uid is not equal to the real uid then modprobe treats its input with extreme suspicion. The last parameter is always treated as a module name, even if it starts with '-'. There can only be one module name and options of the form "variable=value" are forbidden. The module name is always treated as a string, no meta expansion is performed in safe mode. However meta expansion is still applied to data read from the config file. euid may not be equal to uid when modprobe is invoked from the kernel, this is true for kernels >= 2.4.0-test11. In an ideal world, modprobe could trust the kernel to only pass valid parameters to modprobe. However at least one local root exploit has occurred because high level kernel code passed unverified parameters direct from the user to modprobe. So modprobe no longer trusts kernel input. modprobe automatically sets safe mode when the environment consists only of these strings HOME=/ TERM=linux PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin This detects modprobe execution from the kernel on kernels 2.2 though 2.4.0-test11, even if uid == euid, which it does on the earlier kernels. LOGGING COMMANDS
If directory /var/log/ksymoops exists and modprobe is run with an option that could load or a delete a module then modprobe will log its command and return status in /var/log/ksymoops/`date +%Y%m%d.log`. There is no switch to disable this automatic logging, if you do not want it to occur, do not create /var/log/ksymoops. If that directory exists, it should be owned by root and be mode 644 or 600 and you should run script insmod_ksymoops_clean every day or so. REQUIRED UTILITIES
depmod(8), insmod(8). NOTES
Patterns supplied to modprobe will often need to be escaped to ensure that it is evaluated in the proper context. BUGS
modprobe [ -V | --version ] should exit immediately. Instead, it prints the version information and behaves as if no options were given. AUTHOR
Jacques Gelinas (jack@solucorp.qc.ca) Bjorn Ekwall (bj0rn@blox.se) Linux February 4, 2002 MODPROBE(8)