Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Tor and vm's
Special Forums Cybersecurity Tor and vm's Post 302939506 by senhortempora on Thursday 26th of March 2015 04:28:20 AM
Old 03-26-2015
Well sparcguy, TOR will be usable depending on your connection and the quality of the connection in your country as well... but it is, even so, slower than the usual connection, that's true.

And probably all (if not all some of) the major agencies not only from US have some relays themselves just to try to get information through it. I've read some stuff that says how they try to trace the information exchanged... and read it of course...

But yeah, it is safe tough. If you know at least a bit of technology and what to do and what not to do over it. But the real thing is, there is a lot of crimes that are possible to be tracked by technology, that's normal for government agecies to want to have the possibility to access all information possible. But on the other hand there's a limit to how much information is accessed and even more WHY. It must have a reason, a real good reason. And not just do it for the sake of it.

As we recently learned, (even though many have guessed probably), there are a lot of information, really personal information that can end somewhere where it shouldn't be, and instead of stopping crime there are some people just looking at it, the private information of someone. That shouldn't be done at all. Why do that? Just because they "can"?

But in general there are not really much to concern about, for example, if you use some adblock software you can stop unwanted ads, once you already pay for your bandwidth you have the right to decide or not to see ads when surfing; but of course, if someone provides you with good information, fun and et cetera and you want to help then you can let the ads on on their blogs, websites... and if you use the ads it'll be even more revenue to them.

The main thing is that you should be free to do whatever you want online. Without being spied on. But then again, some people would commit crimes (even more crimes would happen I mean) if there weren't punishment for what is done online. So that's necessary to have some control of course. Otherwise it would be a really dark place internet. We need laws everywhere. Because there are people that just don't know how to live a life that is good. They have this need to do something bad, that's what it seems to happen, like that Dexter's Dark Passenger (for analogy haha) (and should be tackled of course). But the control should only reside on log based systems for the general public (unless under rightful investigation), because IF necessary, then the data would be accessed.

That's a really huge conversation, that take a lot of time and would probably go on. We have ethics to deal with. We have a lot to deal with. We need law enforcement. But we also need respect. So that is some times a thin line that is crossed. And it seems in a lot of situations that the line is purposefully crossed... even if not necessary...

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

TOR environment variable

My profile sets the TOR variable to $(whence vi). What is TOR used for? I appreciate any help I can get. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wittich
3 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

Problem with Privoxy and Tor

Greetings, I use Debian Wheezy as an OS and I have already downloaded the Tor Browser-Bundle, which works fine. As soon as a start privoxy and set the proxy to: 127.0.0.1:8118 (socks4) in the tor browser (edit-->pref-->advanced-->settings--->http-proxy) I always get a connection refused. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dr. Nick
1 Replies

3. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Account Register With Tor

Hello, I would be interested in creating an account on this forum. However I have run into trouble in the process, I seem to not have permission to access the registration page. It seems that this forum has blocked registration from Tor. I am wondering if there is any way I could obtain an account... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Unregistered
0 Replies
TV_GRAB_IT(1p)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    TV_GRAB_IT(1p)

NAME
tv_grab_it - Grab TV listings for Italy. SYNOPSIS
tv_grab_it --help tv_grab_it [--config-file FILE] --configure tv_grab_it [--config-file FILE] [--output FILE] [--days N] [--offset N] [--quiet] [--slow] [--verbose] [--errors-in-xml] [--backend SITE1[,SITE2[,SITE3]]] [--cache-slow] DESCRIPTION
Output TV listings for several channels available in Italy. The grabber relies on parsing HTML so it might stop working at any time. The data comes from different backends. This is to minimize blackouts in case of site changes but also to extend the number of channels. If the grabber can't find the data with the first backend it will try the second one, and so on. You can specify your order of preference using the --backend option. Currently configured backends are (in default order): skylife - grabs data from www.skylife.it mtvit - grabs data from www.mtv.it boingtv - grabs data from www.boingtv.it sitcom1 - grabs data from www.sitcom1.it raisat - grabs data from www.risat.it raiit - grabs data from www.rai.it iris - grabs data from www.iris.it mediasetpremium - grabs data from www.mediasetpremium.it First run tv_grab_it --configure to choose which channels you want to download. Then running tv_grab_it with no arguments will output listings in XML format to standard output. --configure Prompt for which channels, and writes the configuration file. --config-file FILE Set the name of the configuration file, the default is ~/.xmltv/tv_grab_it.conf. This is the file written by --configure and read when grabbing. --gui OPTION Use this option to enable a graphical interface to be used. OPTION may be 'Tk', or left blank for the best available choice. Additional allowed values of OPTION are 'Term' for normal terminal output (default) and 'TermNoProgressBar' to disable the use of XMLTV::ProgressBar. --output FILE write to FILE rather than standard output. --days N Grab N days. The default is 7. --offset N Start N days in the future. The default is to start from today. --quiet Suppress the progress messages normally written to standard error. --slow Downloads more details (descriptions, actors...). This means downloading a new file for each programme, so it's off by default to save time. --cache-slow If you use the --cache option to speed up thing when you grab data several times a week, using this option you will cache only the --slow data, so you shouldn't miss changes in schedules. --verbose Prints out verbose information useful for debugging. --errors-in-xml Outputs warnings as programmes in the xml file, so that you can see errors in your favorite frontend in addition to the default STDERR. --backend Set the backend (or backends) to use. See the examples. --version Show the version of the grabber. --help Print a help message and exit. CAVEATS
If you use --quiet you should also use --errors-in-xml or you won't be warned about errors. Note also that, as opposed to previous versions, this grabber doesn't die if it cannot find any data, but returns an empty (or optionally containing just warnings) xml file instead. The backends' data quality differs a lot. For example, mytv was very basic, yet complete and uses the least amount of bandwith. Skytv has a lot of channels, but unless you use it with the --slow option the data is not very good (and in this case i would be VERY slow). wfactory is a good overall site if you don't need the whole sky package. EXAMPLES
tv_grab_it --backend mtvit --configure configures tv_grab_it using only the backend mtvit tv_grab_it --backend skylife,wfactory --days 1 grabs one day of data overiding the default order (could also be --backend skylife --backend wfactory) tv_grab_it --cache --slow --days 3 grabs the full data for the next three days using the default backend order and using a disk cache. RECOMMENDED USAGE
tv_grab_it --cache --slow --cache-slow --errors-in-xml SEE ALSO
xmltv. AUTHOR
Davide Chiarini, davide.chiarini@gmail.com you can find some more help at http://www.htpcpoint.it/forum/ perl v5.14.2 2012-06-30 TV_GRAB_IT(1p)