Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications High Performance Computing Building Linux cluster for mechanical engineering software Post 302920299 by DGPickett on Wednesday 8th of October 2014 03:18:17 PM
Old 10-08-2014
VNC on XWindows platforms creates a local virtual XWindow desktop that supports your choice of window managers, has low latency and can be viewed by a phelora of platform supporting viewers off your client machine of choice. I am using a JAVA viewer, as I lack local admin. The X tcp or unix sockets run inside the host for min laatency (unless you point off-host X clients to it), and a VNC socket connects the viewer. You can run the VNC tcp though an ssh tunnel for security.

Heterogenous clustering requires smarter load balancing and code compatability or porting. Java is portable, compared to C++/g++, which produces code specific to the CPU and O/S, but still is very widely available to compile locally compatible code.

VM makes sense. In practice, very few modern systems page much, and it makes the environment that much more robust. It can support huge sparse matrixes in an mmap()'d space, key to many problems.

Going highly parallel on cpu and ram suggest that net and file access will become bottlenecks, so yes, you need to put lots of work into making them as parallel as possible, too. Network fabric needs to be many path switches and high bandwidth. If you go fiber with either, remember that with its higher speeds comes higher latency, so problems may need to be structured to avoid that. Net and file have been becoming the same problem, as more and more file is remote from the host.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

building and running a software in different linux kernel versions

my Querry is if i build a software on a specific linux kernel and then try to run it on another linux kernel ....what can be the possible problems or what errors can most probably appear while running the binary in an updated version of linux. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mobydick
1 Replies

2. High Performance Computing

Building a Solaris Cluster Express cluster in a VirtualBox on OpenSolaris

Provides a description of how to set up a Solaris Cluster Express cluster in a VirtualBox on OpenSolaris. More... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

3. High Performance Computing

Building a Linux Virtual Server cluster

Hi Guys, I'm busy building a LVS-NAT cluster on Red-Hat server 5.1 and I need a kernel that has LVS capabilities for a red-hat server 5.1. Is the anyone who can advise me where I can get this kernel. I have already visited the following site Ultra Monkey: and this has old kernels e.g. 2.4.20... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Duke
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

Free Cluster software with Red Hat Linux 5.0

Hi, I would like to know wheather any free cluster software is coming with Red Hat Ent Linux Medias? or needs to be purchased seperately. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
3 Replies
scsetup(1M)						  System Administration Commands					       scsetup(1M)

NAME
scsetup - interactive cluster configuration tool SYNOPSIS
scsetup [-f logfile] DESCRIPTION
Note - Beginning with the Sun Cluster 3.2 release, Sun Cluster software includes an object-oriented command set. Although Sun Cluster software still supports the original command set, Sun Cluster procedural documentation uses only the object-oriented command set. For more infor- mation about the object-oriented command set, see the Intro(1CL) man page. The scsetup command provides the following configuration capabilities, depending on what state the cluster is in when you issue the com- mand: o When you run the scsetup command at post-installation time, the command performs initial setup tasks, such as configuring quorum devices and resetting the installmode property. If you did not use automatic quorum configuration when you created the cluster, run the scsetup command immediately after the cluster is installed. Ensure that all nodes have joined the cluster before you run the scsetup command and reset the installmode property. If you used automatic quorum configuration when you created the cluster, you do not need to run the scsetup command after clus- ter installation. The automatic quorum configuration feature also resets the installmode property of the cluster. o When you run the command during normal cluster operation, the scsetup command provides a menu-driven utility. You can use this utility to perform most ongoing cluster-administration tasks. o When you issue the command from a node that is in noncluster mode, the scsetup utility provides a menu-driven utility for chang- ing and displaying the private IP address range. You must reboot all nodes into noncluster mode before you start this form of the scsetup utility. You can issue the scsetup command from any node in the cluster. You can use this command only in the global zone. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -f logfile Specifies the name of a log file to which commands can be logged. If you specify this option, most command sets that the scsetup utility generates are run and logged, or only logged, depending on user responses. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes. +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWsczu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
Intro(1CL), cltelemetryattribute(1CL), cldevicegroup(1CL), clnode(1CL), clquorum(1CL), clreslogicalhostname(1CL), clresourcegroup(1CL), clresourcetype(1CL), clressharedaddress(1CL), cluster(1CL), Sun Cluster 3.2 18 Jul 2006 scsetup(1M)