Sponsored Content
Special Forums Cybersecurity 'Shell Shock' vulnerability in Bourne shell Post 302918936 by vbe on Friday 26th of September 2014 09:24:38 AM
Old 09-26-2014
Not Bourne shell, in Bourne Again... bash
e.g. what Deian says about it:
https://security-tracker.debian.org/.../CVE-2014-6271

Only you are at risk in somehow limited situation I believe:
e.g. Using ssh with ForceCommand option or using SSH_ORIGINAL_COMMAND variable

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bourne Shell and Arrays

Hi everyone, first post here so please be gentle :-) I normally likle to script in Bourne Shell simply for guarenteed compatibility across any system I might run across but this latest problem has me stumped. Arrays is a rather significant construct missing from sh and after finding a way to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Unbeliever
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bourne-again shell

Hi guys !! well i'm still new in learning UNIX , and actually i'm still studying it by myself .. anyway, some people told me the Bourne-again shell is a good version of UNIX to work on , and i tried to download yesterday but i didn't know how to start it ...... the ReadMe file associated with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrsamer
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bourne shell or korn shell?

Hi, I have a script that uses "nohup" command to execute a korn shell script. Which one is the correct shell to use bourne shell or korn shell to execute a korn shell? and why? Thanks in advanced. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: XZOR
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

C shell & Bourne Shell

Hi Guys, My first post and simple one at that .. Really rusty with this shell scripting..\ I have a script called .. j.sh I am calling > j.sh LOG_PATH $BLMBRGDATA/blmbrg.properties where j.sh is grep $1 $2 | cut -d',' -f2 . $BLMBRGDATA is set to a directory path. why do i get :- $... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jsm66
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need to understand the differences between the bash shell and the Bourne shell

I do not claim to be an expert, but I have done things with scripts that whole teams of folks have said can not be done. Of course they should have said we do not have the intestinal fortitude to git-r-done. I have been using UNIX actually HPUX since 1992. Unfortunately my old computer died and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: awk_sed_hello
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to activate Korn Shell functionnalities in Bourne Shell

Hi All I have writing a Korn Shell script to execute it on many of our servers. But some servers don't have Korn Shell installed, they use Borne Shell. Some operations like calculation don't work : cat ${file1} | tail -$((${num1}-${num2})) > ${file2} Is it possible to activate Korn Shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: madmat
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there any command in the Bourne shell?

Hi, The problem I have is that I want to create a list of folders whose names are read from a text file but the file names are in decimal. Each letter consists of an octet and the end of the folder name is defined by the white space character (0032) For example, we have in the text... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gengis-Kahn
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with bourne shell script

Attempting to write a script to eventually notify me via email for when there is packetloss across the backbone. I am looking for values greater than 0% in the mtr field. #!/bin/sh target=www.google.com date +"%D"_"%T" >> /home/rich/mtr.log echo "----------------------------------------" >>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: closedown
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bourne/C shell help

Exercise Five Write a Bourne shell script which: • Professionalism: plan for this from the start. • Has one command line argument. • If the command line argument is a directory then the script should output the number of files in the directory. • If the command line argument is an ordinary... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moesom
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bourne shell & Korn shell

Could some one tell me the difference btw Bourne shell and the Kshell? Which is more flexible and reliable in terms of portability and efficiency. When i type the following command .. $ echo $SHELL yields me /bin/sh Does this tells me that I am in Bourne shell. If yes, how can i get... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
6 Replies
sh(1)							      General Commands Manual							     sh(1)

NAME
sh - overview of various system shells SYNOPSIS
POSIX Shell option] ... string] [arg ...] option] ... string] [arg ...] Korn Shell option] ... string] [arg ...] option] ... string] [arg ...] C Shell [command_file] [argument_list ...] Key Shell DESCRIPTION
Remarks The POSIX .2 standard requires that, on a POSIX-compliant system, executing the command activates the POSIX shell (located in file on HP-UX systems), and executing the command produces an on-line manual entry that displays the syntax of the POSIX shell command-line. However, the command has historically been associated with the conventional Bourne shell, which could confuse some users. To meet stan- dards requirements and also clarify the relationships of the various shells and where they reside on the system, this entry provides com- mand-line syntax and a brief description of each shell, and lists the names of the manual entries where each shell is described in greater detail. The Bourne shell is removed from the system starting with HP-UX 11i Version 1.5. Please use the POSIX shell as an alternative. Shell Descriptions The HP-UX operating system supports the following shells: POSIX-conforming command programming language and command interpreter residing in file Can execute commands read from a terminal or a file. This shell conforms to current POSIX standards in effect at the time the HP-UX system release was introduced, and is similar to the Korn shell in many respects. Similar in many respects to the Korn shell, the POSIX shell contains a history mechanism, supports job control, and provides various other useful features. Korn-shell command programming language and commands interpreter residing in file Can execute commands read from a terminal or a file. This shell, like the POSIX shell, contains a his- tory mechanism, supports job control, and provides various other useful features. A command language interpreter that incorporates a command history buffer, C-language-like syntax, and job control facilities. Restricted version of the POSIX shell command interpreter. Sets up a login name and execution environment whose capabilities are more controlled (restricted) than normal user shells. restricted version of the Korn-shell command interpreter Sets up a login name and execution environment whose capabilities are more controlled (restricted) than normal user shells. An extension of the standard Korn Shell that uses hierarchical softkey menus and context-sensitive help. +--------------+--------------------+ | To obtain: | Use the command: | +--------------+--------------------+ | POSIX Shell | /usr/bin/sh ... | | Korn Shell | /usr/bin/ksh ... | | C Shell | /usr/bin/csh ... | | Key Shell | /usr/bin/keysh | +--------------+--------------------+ These shells can also be the default invocation, depending on the entry in the file. See also chsh(1). WARNINGS
Many manual entries contain descriptions of shell behavior or describe program or application behavior similar to ``the shell'' with a ref- erence to ``see sh(1)''. SEE ALSO
For more information on the various individual shells, see: keysh(1) Key Shell description. ksh(1) Korn Shell description. sh-posix(1) POSIX Shell description. csh(1) C Shell description. sh(1)