Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications High Performance Computing Building Linux cluster for mechanical engineering software Post 302918888 by Don Cragun on Friday 26th of September 2014 03:34:02 AM
Old 09-26-2014
Some of your questions are so vague that it is hard to make any informed suggestions. How would you respond if you got a request from someone to tell them how to choose the best vehicle? (Who is going to be driving it? How many passengers do you need to carry? How much weight do you need to be able to tow? How much secured cargo space do you need? What are the weather conditions where it will be driven? What type of terrain does it need to traverse? ...)

I know very little about about ME and nothing about Ansys CFD. Are you trying to build a cluster to support hundreds of users submitting thousands of jobs? Are you trying to build a cluster than can break a single huge job into thousands of threads and run all of those threads simultaneously? Do you have any experience writing thread-safe code?

Can you use only open-source software? Of course you can! You can write all of the code you need and make it available for everyone to use as they see fit.

Does open-source software already exist for all of the code you want to run? How can we guess at that from what you've told us? We have no idea what all of the code you want to run needs to do.

If you don't know the difference between a heterogeneous cluster and a homogeneous cluster, you probably don't have the background needed to design the cluster you want. Please consider hiring an architect with experience setting up and running an HPC data center who you can sit down with and discuss budget, capabilities, computing projects to be run, users to be supported, software to be run, software to be written, etc., etc., etc. Setting up an HPC data center is a very complex, expensive undertaking.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

building and running a software in different linux kernel versions

my Querry is if i build a software on a specific linux kernel and then try to run it on another linux kernel ....what can be the possible problems or what errors can most probably appear while running the binary in an updated version of linux. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mobydick
1 Replies

2. High Performance Computing

Building a Solaris Cluster Express cluster in a VirtualBox on OpenSolaris

Provides a description of how to set up a Solaris Cluster Express cluster in a VirtualBox on OpenSolaris. More... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

3. High Performance Computing

Building a Linux Virtual Server cluster

Hi Guys, I'm busy building a LVS-NAT cluster on Red-Hat server 5.1 and I need a kernel that has LVS capabilities for a red-hat server 5.1. Is the anyone who can advise me where I can get this kernel. I have already visited the following site Ultra Monkey: and this has old kernels e.g. 2.4.20... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Duke
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

Free Cluster software with Red Hat Linux 5.0

Hi, I would like to know wheather any free cluster software is coming with Red Hat Ent Linux Medias? or needs to be purchased seperately. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
3 Replies
scversions(1M)						  System Administration Commands					    scversions(1M)

NAME
scversions - Sun Cluster version management SYNOPSIS
scversions [-c] DESCRIPTION
Note - Beginning with the Sun Cluster 3.2 release, Sun Cluster software includes an object-oriented command set. Although Sun Cluster software still supports the original command set, Sun Cluster procedural documentation uses only the object-oriented command set. For more infor- mation about the object-oriented command set, see the Intro(1CL) man page. The scversions command commits the cluster to a new level of functionality after a rolling-upgrade to new Sun Cluster software. With no arguments, the scversions command prints a message indicating whether a commitment is needed. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: -c Commit the set of nodes that are currently active members of the cluster to the highest possible level of functionality. When you upgrade a node (either through upgrade to a new release of the product or by application of a patch) and boot it back into the cluster, some of the internal protocols on that node might have to run at lower versions in order to cooperate cor- rectly with other nodes in the cluster. When the cluster is in this state, some administrative actions might be disabled and some new functionality introduced in the upgrade might be unavailable. When you run this command once from any node after all nodes are upgraded, the cluster switches to the highest versions of internal protocols possible. Assuming that all nodes have the same Sun Cluster software installed at that time, all new func- tionality becomes available and any administrative restrictions are removed. If a node that has not been upgraded is an active member of the cluster at the time you run the -c option to scversions, the command has no effect because the cluster is already running at the highest possible level of functionality. If a node has not been upgraded and is not an active member of the cluster when you run the -c option to scversions (for exam- ple, if that node is down for maintenance), the internal protocols of the cluster are upgraded to the highest possible ver- sions. You might have to upgrade the node that was not an active member of the cluster to enable it to rejoin the cluster. EXIT STATUS
0 Success non-zero Failure ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWsczu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
scinstall(1M) Sun Cluster 3.2 17 Aug 2007 scversions(1M)