Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications High Performance Computing Building Linux cluster for mechanical engineering software Post 302918831 by DGPickett on Thursday 25th of September 2014 05:44:39 PM
Old 09-25-2014
Just a few thoughts:
  • Don't overlook Lustre, the high bandwidth distributed NFS.
  • VM is a run in the opposite direction, but for some things it can be appropriate. Watch your reliability aand administrative models, as more VMs is just that much more load on them.
  • Clusters are usually homogenous. There are other tactics for distrbuted processing that are more heterogenous-friendly.
  • A remote X like vnc often has much higher performance, due to low Xserver latency.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

building and running a software in different linux kernel versions

my Querry is if i build a software on a specific linux kernel and then try to run it on another linux kernel ....what can be the possible problems or what errors can most probably appear while running the binary in an updated version of linux. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mobydick
1 Replies

2. High Performance Computing

Building a Solaris Cluster Express cluster in a VirtualBox on OpenSolaris

Provides a description of how to set up a Solaris Cluster Express cluster in a VirtualBox on OpenSolaris. More... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

3. High Performance Computing

Building a Linux Virtual Server cluster

Hi Guys, I'm busy building a LVS-NAT cluster on Red-Hat server 5.1 and I need a kernel that has LVS capabilities for a red-hat server 5.1. Is the anyone who can advise me where I can get this kernel. I have already visited the following site Ultra Monkey: and this has old kernels e.g. 2.4.20... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Duke
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

Free Cluster software with Red Hat Linux 5.0

Hi, I would like to know wheather any free cluster software is coming with Red Hat Ent Linux Medias? or needs to be purchased seperately. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
3 Replies
nfs2_nra(5)							File Formats Manual						       nfs2_nra(5)

NAME
nfs2_nra - control the number of read-ahead operations queued by the NFS version 2 client when sequentially accessing a file VALUES
Failsafe Default Allowed values Recommended values A warning will be issued at runtime if the tunable is set to a value greater than 16 since this is beyond the tested limit. This is not a serious warning but just an information message for the administrator. DESCRIPTION
controls the number of read-ahead operations that are queued by the NFS version 2 client when sequential access to a file is discovered. These read-ahead operations increase concurrency and read throughput. Each read-ahead request is generally for 8192 bytes of file data. Who Is Expected to Change This Tunable? The distributed file system administrator should examine this value depending on network bandwidth and memory pressure on the client. Restrictions on Changing The tunable is dynamic; tuning will take effect immediately on the running system. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Raised? If the network is very high bandwidth and the client and server have sufficient resources, increase this value to more effectively utilize the available network bandwidth, the client resources, and the server resources. What Are the Side Effects of Raising the Value? Tuning incorrectly based on network bandwidth can cause performance problems. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Lowered? In a very low bandwidth network, you might want to decrease this value so the NFS client does not overload the network. What Are the Side Effects of Lowering the Value? Tuning incorrectly based on network bandwidth can cause performance problems. WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by Sun Microsystems, Inc. SEE ALSO
kctune(1M), sam(1M), gettune(2), settune(2), nfs3_nra(5), nfs4_nra(5), values(5). Tunable Kernel Parameters nfs2_nra(5)