Sponsored Content
Special Forums Cybersecurity How to protect system from cloning? Post 302916224 by rbatte1 on Monday 8th of September 2014 09:46:24 AM
Old 09-08-2014
How will you manage if the disk fails, the server needs a replacement motherboard, NIC etc. or you have a full disaster situation? If you generate a working solution that allows for these, then you have created a back-door that others might exploit.

Are you concerned that the server may be physically attacked in some way?

Robin
This User Gave Thanks to rbatte1 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

protect dtterm

we have an hp-ux and a user requested me if i can password protect the dtterm. i know that this is possible but can you give me some hints in making this happen? thanks :cool: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: inquirer
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Password protect a file

I have created a PHP page that I use to clean files on my machine. I would like to leave the file there but I want to password protect it so that I am the only one that can run it from the shell. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks. -Cam (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: perryl7
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Protect from rm /

We recently had an accidental delete from /. I hold the root password but others are allowed to sudo over to root to perform admin tasks. The only way I want to permit deletion from / is by physically being root (su -). I'd like to add a line to the sudoers file which would permit all commands... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scottsl
1 Replies

4. AIX

Problem cloning system

Hi everyone, I want to clone a AIX 5.2 system from a machine to another one. So i modified bosinst.data and image.data files (according to future platform) before making mksysb on old platform. After booting on CD and restoring system using mksysb tape, the installation is launched but ever... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fgaulois
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Full System Backup / Cloning HPUX

I am new to UNIX and need help in cloning a HPUX 10.2 Ace 5, can anybody please guide me in making a full system backup. Real Chess (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: real-chess
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cloning a solaris system

I have several Solaris 8,9 and 10 servers. I need to refresh them and avoid doing any OS upgrades. I may have to apply patches when I am done due to the new hardware. My current servers have internal disk and my new target servers (same processor types) will have only SAN storage. Once the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zzqv9p
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

protect process

how to protect my process from others to kill?? Double post, continued here, thread closed (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: samrintu
0 Replies

8. AIX

Cloning a system via mksysb backup from one system and restore to new system

Hello All, I am trying to clone an entire AIX virtual machine to a new virtual machine including all partitions and OS.Can anyone help me on the procedure to follow? I am not really sure on how it can be done.Thanks in advance. Please use CODE tags for sample input, sample output, and for code... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull05
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Archiveadm system cloning - Solaris 11.4

Hi all, I am trying to use archiveadm to backup/clone an existing Solaris11.4 system. However, i failed at media creation with the error -> "Media can only be created from archives containing root-only data" root@xxx:/mnt/opt/software# zpool list NAME SIZE ALLOC FREE CAP DEDUP ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
6 Replies
OPIEACCESS(5)							File Formats Manual						     OPIEACCESS(5)

NAME
/etc/opieaccess - OPIE database of trusted networks DESCRIPTION
The opieaccess file contains a list of networks that are considered trusted by the system as far as security against passive attacks is concerned. Users from networks so trusted will be able to log in using OPIE responses, but not be required to do so, while users from net- works that are not trusted will always be required to use OPIE responses (the default behavior). This trust allows a site to have a more gentle migration to OPIE by allowing it to be non-mandatory for "inside" networks while allowing users to choose whether they with to use OPIE to protect their passwords or not. The entire notion of trust implemented in the opieaccess file is a major security hole because it opens your system back up to the same passive attacks that the OPIE system is designed to protect you against. The opieaccess support in this version of OPIE exists solely because we believe that it is better to have it so that users who don't want their accounts broken into can use OPIE than to have them pre- vented from doing so by users who don't want to use OPIE. In any environment, it should be considered a transition tool and not a permanent fixture. When it is not being used as a transition tool, a version of OPIE that has been built without support for the opieaccess file should be built to prevent the possibility of an attacker using this file as a means to circumvent the OPIE software. The opieaccess file consists of lines containing three fields separated by spaces (tabs are properly interpreted, but spaces should be used instead) as follows: Field Description action "permit" or "deny" non-OPIE logins address Address of the network to match mask Mask of the network to match Subnets can be controlled by using the appropriate address and mask. Individual hosts can be controlled by using the appropriate address and a mask of 255.255.255.255. If no rules are matched, the default is to deny non-OPIE logins. SEE ALSO
ftpd(8) login(1), opie(4), opiekeys(5), opiepasswd(1), opieinfo(1), su(1), AUTHOR
Bellcore's S/Key was written by Phil Karn, Neil M. Haller, and John S. Walden of Bellcore. OPIE was created at NRL by Randall Atkinson, Dan McDonald, and Craig Metz. S/Key is a trademark of Bell Communications Research (Bellcore). CONTACT
OPIE is discussed on the Bellcore "S/Key Users" mailing list. To join, send an email request to: skey-users-request@thumper.bellcore.com 7th Edition January 10, 1995 OPIEACCESS(5)