Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Redirecting stdout inside a loop Post 302912755 by Corona688 on Monday 11th of August 2014 05:22:41 PM
Old 08-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmortens
is it possible to organize it real time? like as it is being written to file?
That's your program's output. Once it's written to the file, it's too late to do anything about it inside the loop. Organize it before you put it into the file.

Quote:
I was not specific about this before because I thought it would be the same pattern search, but I need to pull lines containing "No. input reads:", "No. reads in analysis:", "mapped...reads to genomes(s)", and "Detected:"
If you want to pile all three commands together then filter them, do it like this, before it gets to the file:

Code:
for ... in ...
do
        # All commands get piped through egrep, which then prints to stdout
        (
                command1
                command2
                command3
        ) | egrep 'expression1|expression2|expression3'

# This file gets printed to stdout
        cat restoffile

# Everything printed to stdout gets saved to onesingleoutputfile, in order
done > onesingleoutputfile

The ( ) join them together in a subshell, letting you put a pipe on the end to filter the contents of all three.

Last edited by Corona688; 08-11-2014 at 06:54 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting STDOUT & STDERR

In bash, I need to send the STDOUT and STDERR from a command to one file, and then just STDERR to another file. Doing one or the other using redirects is easy, but trying to do both at once is a bit tricky. Anyone have any ideas? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jshinaman
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

implicitly redirecting stdout to a file

Is there a way to redirect all stdout to a file implicitly - like defining stdout=/home/me/process.log - so that all "echo" commands in several scripts/subscripts are written to that file; instead of having to edit all scripts to redirect the "echo" (e.g. echo 'This is a test ' >>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ALTRUNVRSOFLN
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting part of output to stdout

Hi, I am trying to execute a command like this: find ./ -name "*.gz" -exec sh -c 'zcat {} | awk -f parse.awk' \; >> output If I want to print the filename, i generally use the -print argument to the find command but when I am redirecting the output to a file, how can I print just the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Legend986
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirecting several outputs to /dev/stdout

I have an executable that, depending on its input, outputs to either one file or several. It usually prints nothing on screen. The usual way to call this program is to specify an input and output filenames, like this: ./executable.exe -i inputfile -o outputfileIt will then try to use the output... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aplaydoc
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting to stdout in betwen command

can anyone help me in making singleline command for Capital Letters are folders ,small letter are files X,Y,Z are subfolders of A as shown below A - X,Y,Z Folder X has three files a.txt,b.txt,c.txt similarly Y,Z. as shown below X- a.txt,b.txt,c.txt Y- a.txt,b.txt,c.txt Z-... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: phoenix_nebula
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting stdout to variable while printing it

Hi everybody, I am trying to do the thing you see in the title, and I can't simply do a=$(svn up) echo $a because the program (svn) gives output on lots of lines and in the variable the output is stored on only one line (resulting in a horribly formatted text). Any tips? Thanks,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocirne94
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting stdout on background task

Hello, I have a script (videostream.sh) which invokes the GStreamer command-line tool gst-launch with all the correct command line parameters. When I invoke this program, I add the '&' character at the end to make it a background task, so that my script can complete and exit, i.e. gst-launch... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: salukibob
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting stdout problem

I have a simple bash script that prints sth every 5 seconds. What I do is the following. I redirect the output of the script to a file, tail the file and see that it works and then from another console I delete the file where the output is redirected to. Even though I have deleted the file, the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: igurov
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting stdout continously to a file

I have a C program that continously outputs info to stdout. The problem is that I am redirecting the stdout and stderr to a file and stdout is written at the end of the problem rather than continously to the file. This could be a problem if for example the program is killed and the stdout output is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: igurov
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting stdion, stdout within an AT command

Hello, I'm strugling with some redirecting and all help is apreciated. The following program is working as expected, but the result of the AT command doesn't go to any file. Thanks in advance for the help. #!/bin/bash modem=/dev/ttyUSB1 file=/root/imsi.txt # print error to stderr and exit... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleitao
4 Replies
ZIPGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							ZIPGREP(1)

NAME
zipgrep - search files in a ZIP archive for lines matching a pattern SYNOPSIS
zipgrep [egrep_options] pattern file[.zip] [file(s) ...] [-x xfile(s) ...] DESCRIPTION
zipgrep will search files within a ZIP archive for lines matching the given string or pattern. zipgrep is a shell script and requires egrep(1) and unzip(1) to function. Its output is identical to that of egrep(1). ARGUMENTS
pattern The pattern to be located within a ZIP archive. Any string or regular expression accepted by egrep(1) may be used. file[.zip] Path of the ZIP archive. (Wildcard expressions for the ZIP archive name are not supported.) If the literal filename is not found, the suffix .zip is appended. Note that self-extracting ZIP files are supported, as with any other ZIP archive; just specify the .exe suffix (if any) explicitly. [file(s)] An optional list of archive members to be processed, separated by spaces. If no member files are specified, all members of the ZIP archive are searched. Regular expressions (wildcards) may be used to match multiple members: * matches a sequence of 0 or more characters ? matches exactly 1 character [...] matches any single character found inside the brackets; ranges are specified by a beginning character, a hyphen, and an end- ing character. If an exclamation point or a caret (`!' or `^') follows the left bracket, then the range of characters within the brackets is complemented (that is, anything except the characters inside the brackets is considered a match). (Be sure to quote any character that might otherwise be interpreted or modified by the operating system.) [-x xfile(s)] An optional list of archive members to be excluded from processing. Since wildcard characters match directory separators (`/'), this option may be used to exclude any files that are in subdirectories. For example, ``zipgrep grumpy foo *.[ch] -x */*'' would search for the string ``grumpy'' in all C source files in the main directory of the ``foo'' archive, but none in any subdirectories. Without the -x option, all C source files in all directories within the zipfile would be searched. OPTIONS
All options prior to the ZIP archive filename are passed to egrep(1). SEE ALSO
egrep(1), unzip(1), zip(1), funzip(1), zipcloak(1), zipinfo(1), zipnote(1), zipsplit(1) URL
The Info-ZIP home page is currently at http://www.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/ or ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/ . AUTHORS
zipgrep was written by Jean-loup Gailly. Info-ZIP 20 April 2009 ZIPGREP(1)