Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Is UNIX an open source OS ?
Operating Systems Linux Fedora Is UNIX an open source OS ? Post 302911897 by sreyan32 on Monday 4th of August 2014 10:50:23 AM
Old 08-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
Serial ports in UNIX are a complicated topic. Sure, if you want.
Thanks a lot first of all Corona688 for being extremely patient with all my queries and answer them as simply as possible. Now I am thinking of starting a new thread about Serial ports, but before that I am asking for some reading material on serial ports and terminal devices. So that when I come back to ask my doubts here they don't need to be quite so noobish and obvious questions.

Any links to some study materials for beginners for this topic would really help. Also if anyone can suggest a good book which contains material on this topic will also be nice.

I am asking here because googling on the topic didn't give me any concrete starting point.

Serial ports maybe complex but I am already interested in how they work Smilie. First time coming across a design where a terminal communicates to the kernel through a COM port.

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment edit by bakunin: You should indeed start a new thread with this. We try to confine each question/theme to a separate thread so that the knowledge base we are building is easier and better to search for information. I will cut this part out and open a new thread with it.

See here: Serial Lines Explained

---------- Post updated at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous update was at 08:17 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cragun
There is also a standard for Linux systems (the Linux Standard Base AKA LSB), but the last I heard, no Linux system has ever conformed to any version of the LSB either.
Could you elaborate on this point further. I mean if no one conformed to a standard how on earth is that standard still surviving. And also why is it there ??

Last edited by bakunin; 08-04-2014 at 12:20 PM..

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

open source antivirus

Hello What is the best open source anti virus? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohammadmahdi
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open Source

Hi Friends I'm new to this UNIX - I'm working on the porting project from Solaris To Linux i just want to map some commands from solaris to Linux so can any one please tell me how to get the source code of the commands like "ls", "cu", "du" Regards sabee (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sabee.prakash
1 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

need open source KB software for UNIX

Anyone know of a good open source Knowledge Base software for UNIX that can connect to an Oracle back end? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RJ45
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Open-source projects to learn concurrency-managed network programming in Unix?

Hi, I am a mid-career programmer with extensive experience in object-oriented design and development in C, C++, and C#. I've written a number of multi-threaded server applications and background services, although my grasp of networking protocols is a bit weak: my current job drifted away from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheTaoOfPhil
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX/Linux inventory - Open Source

Hello guys, I need an open source tool that can list all the softwares installed in my unix/linux servers, the tool should list all the softwares installed and the current version, grouped by the hostname, anybody know any solution for this specific problem? Thanks guys, have a good day! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: denisloide
7 Replies