Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Is UNIX an open source OS ?
Operating Systems Linux Fedora Is UNIX an open source OS ? Post 302911234 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 30th of July 2014 03:43:38 PM
Old 07-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sreyan32
Okay I am making this post to clarify one of the most confusing topics that I have had about Unix and Linux.

Why do you say that Linux is not Unix ? I mean they are both POSIX compliant and they use the same commands. Agreed that some options that are found in Solaris is not present in Debian, but the general working is same for both OSes.

Also since my college syllabus includes the UNIX OS this semester so I have been doing some amount of reading on the subject. And the book that is recommended to engineering students in India (UNIX Concepts and Applications by Sumitabha Das) goes as far to say -:

Now I just want to know how accurate this really is. And if so why do all the experts that Linux is not UNIX. Also as Corona688 mentioned above GNU is not Unix.

Why is it not ? Is it just because it does not have an official certification ? Or are there actual differences at the kernel level ?
No current Linux system meets POSIX requirements for OS or utilities behavior. On a POSIX conforming system, you never have to give a --posix option to make a utility behave as specified by the POSIX standard. On a POSIX conforming system, the command:
Code:
echo -n abc

will write the characters -n abc and a trailing <newline> character to standard output.

On a POSIX conforming system, each thread in a process shares a single process ID; on a Linux system each thread gets its own process ID.

There are hundreds of places where Linux systems do not conform to POSIX standard requirements. Fortunately, for a lot of the stuff you run into in daily run-of-the-mill programming, they are quite similar. But, if you try write portable code that will work on any POSIX system (and all UNIX branded systems are POSIX conforming systems and have to also meet additional requirements) there is no guarantee that it will run on a Linux system. (Of course no test suite is perfect, so a UNIX or POSIX branded system may have bugs that haven't been caught yet; but vendors of these branded systems once notified that a conformance bug is present have a contractual obligation to fix it within 6 months or lose their right to use the brand.)

As the POSIX standards evolve, they are picking up some new features from Linux systems. And, over time, many GNU Utilities are coming closer to meeting POSIX requirements. But, for the foreseeable future, Linux systems are most definitely not POSIX conforming systems and cannot be branded as UNIX systems or POSIX systems even if one of the Linux distro vendors was willing to pay the certification costs and fill out all of the paperwork involved.

There is also a standard for Linux systems (the Linux Standard Base AKA LSB), but the last I heard, no Linux system has ever conformed to any version of the LSB either.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

open source antivirus

Hello What is the best open source anti virus? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohammadmahdi
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open Source

Hi Friends I'm new to this UNIX - I'm working on the porting project from Solaris To Linux i just want to map some commands from solaris to Linux so can any one please tell me how to get the source code of the commands like "ls", "cu", "du" Regards sabee (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sabee.prakash
1 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

need open source KB software for UNIX

Anyone know of a good open source Knowledge Base software for UNIX that can connect to an Oracle back end? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RJ45
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Open-source projects to learn concurrency-managed network programming in Unix?

Hi, I am a mid-career programmer with extensive experience in object-oriented design and development in C, C++, and C#. I've written a number of multi-threaded server applications and background services, although my grasp of networking protocols is a bit weak: my current job drifted away from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheTaoOfPhil
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX/Linux inventory - Open Source

Hello guys, I need an open source tool that can list all the softwares installed in my unix/linux servers, the tool should list all the softwares installed and the current version, grouped by the hostname, anybody know any solution for this specific problem? Thanks guys, have a good day! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: denisloide
7 Replies