Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Infrastructure Monitoring Monitoring file systems backup Post 302901023 by frhling on Saturday 10th of May 2014 04:34:12 PM
Old 05-10-2014
Monitoring file systems backup

Hello,
I have some questions.
There are some File systems which are located on a SAN. There are two scenarios:
1) Some file systems are permanently mounted on certain servers
2) Others are part of a high availability cluster

In case of a cluster the needed file systems for a certain application are all visible to all cluster nodes (cluster servers) at the same time. A certain node is assigned to primarily run a certain service. Therefore it mounts the file system and provides the service as a new, virtual IP. The trick is now, that the virtual IP and virtual name can also be brought up by another cluster node in case the first one fails. This by itself is not a problem but it has turned out that this provides a problem for the backup because the backup is naturally file system oriented. From a user (or calling services) perspective the user only talks to the virtual IP and name, which never changes. He has no idea that this IP is in reality running on a physical cluster node with its own IP and name and on top of that the cluster nodes can even change.

by the default log file, I just get the machine names, mount points, full backup and incremental backups.

Now the question is how to be sure if file systems are correctly backed up?

I can think of some aproached:
1- check the list of file system and check the list of backed up files and compare to see if those FS are in back up. we pay attention to timestamp
2- the same as above but this time comparing also the size
3- check if machines in general are backed up
4- MD5 checksum

can someone give me any other idea and in general some suggestion?

Thanks

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Backup Linux file systems

Hi, I need to backup files on our Solaris machines onto a windows machine. I have Samba installed. Is it possible to backup these files on Solaris/Linux machines onto a Windows machine. Thanks Aravind (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aravind_mg
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backup Software for UNIX systems

Hi, which software is recommended for backup of UNIX systems ( e.g. SUN, Solaris ). Backup software and database e.g. Oracle. One possibility is Networker, but license is expensive and also service contract. Best regards Dieter (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rhacodactylus
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Monitoring Unix systems

I am looking for a commercial tool that will give me -UNIX Monitoring performance solution+ reports on CCV format. (as perfmon on windows machines). The tool must have following counters per PROCESS: Page Faults/sec Virtual Bytes % Processor Time Handles count Threads count... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: gen4ik
19 Replies

4. AIX

How to exclude directory from (File Systems) backup?

Hello AIX experts, I have a file system called /bossapp Its size = 77.5 GB I want to take a File Systems backup for this one using smitty, it is very easy, but the problem is I want to exclude one directory called (ORIGIN). How? The steps are very easy to take a File Systems backup,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohannad
2 Replies
CLUSTER(1)						      General Commands Manual							CLUSTER(1)

NAME
cluster - find clusters in a graph and augment the graph with this information. SYNOPSIS
cluster [-v?] [ -Ck ] [ -ck ] [ -o outfile ] [ files ] DESCRIPTION
cluster takes as input a graph in DOT format, finds node clusters and augments the graph with this information. The clusters are specified by the "cluster" attribute attached to nodes; cluster values are non-negative integers. cluster attempts to maximize the modularity of the clustering. If the edge attribute "weight" is defined, this will be used in computing the clustering. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -Ck specifies a targeted number of clusters that should be generated. The specified number k is only a suggestion and may not be real- isable. If k == 0, the default, the number of clusters that approximately optimizes the modularity is returned. -ck specifies clustering method. If k == 0, the default, the modularity will be used. If k == 1 modularity quality will be used. -ooutfile Specifies that output should go into the file outfile. By default, stdout is used. -v Verbose mode. EXAMPLES
Applying cluster to the following graph, graph { 1--2 [weight=10.] 2--3 [weight=1] 3--4 [weight=10.] 4--5 [weight=10] 5--6 [weight=10] 3--6 [weight=0.1] 4--6 [weight=10.] } gives graph { node [cluster="-1"]; 1 [cluster=1]; 2 [cluster=1]; 3 [cluster=2]; 4 [cluster=2]; 5 [cluster=2]; 6 [cluster=2]; 1 -- 2 [weight="10."]; 2 -- 3 [weight=1]; 3 -- 4 [weight="10."]; 4 -- 5 [weight=10]; 5 -- 6 [weight=10]; 3 -- 6 [weight="0.1"]; 4 -- 6 [weight="10."]; } AUTHOR
Yifan Hu <yifanhu@research.att.com> SEE ALSO
gvmap(1) Blondel, V.D., Guillaume, J.L., Lambiotte, R., Lefebvre, E.: Fast unfolding of communities in large networks. Journal of Statistical Mechanics: Theory and Experiment (2008), P10008. 3 March 2011 CLUSTER(1)