Sponsored Content
Operating Systems BSD Very high nice percentage in top command Post 302896348 by Scrutinizer on Monday 7th of April 2014 02:46:00 AM
Old 04-07-2014
So were the top en ps commands run at the same time? Because this adds up to 20% user/nice time whereas the top shows 86.3% user/nice time.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Top output] NICE % high ?

Hi, I've got some CPU bottleneck on a HP-UX 11 server : i didn't understand it until i discover i've got an unusual high percentage of NICE% CPU regarding my DBRMS process (Sybase 12.x). How do i have to understand it and how to resolve it ? Thx. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: eliador2001
0 Replies

2. Programming

nice command and nice() system call

Hi I want to implement the nice command in the shell that I am building. I came to know that there is a corresponding nice() system call for the same. But since I will be forking different processes to run different commands typed on the command prompt, is there any way I can make a command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tejbuch
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The nice command

hello everybody: I have some job running on tru64 system and Im the root, due to limited resources I end up with my job ( vdump) for example taking the lowest share, I researched the nice command on the net, but couldnt get enough info, can I use it to already running process or I only use it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aladdin
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

top and nice

Hi, I have two identical 12 CPU HPUX machines, and I run the same processes on each that load the boxes fully. top on one reports activity under the NICE (19%) and SYS (18%) columns, while top on the other reports 0% NICE and 16% SYS. What would cause NICE to be zero on one machine and not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: CBorgia
5 Replies

5. Linux

Help pinpointing high HTTPD CPU usage in TOP

Hi, new here and need some help. Sometimes my site is extremely slow, if when there aren't too many people on, whereas when there are over 300 online members the site may be very fast. We use CentOS, PHP 5.26. The server has 4GB and Plesk usually shows about 2 or 3 GB free. I believe I can see... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pspace
4 Replies

6. AIX

Top command in AIX 4.2 (no topas, no nmon, no top)?

Is there a 'top' command equivalent in AIX 4.2 ? I already checked and I do not see the following ones anywhere: top nmon topas (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Is nice command a myth?

Hello, Some guy said to me that using the nice command to decrease the priority of a process is a myth, that the operating system corrects the priorities as the processes need cpu. Is this true? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: psimoes79
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to see high values on top

Hello folks, I am searching for pattern, after that i want its presenece on top to bottom basis, like cat abcd.txt |grep "123"|awk {'print $3'} |sort|uniq -c it show result like 10 1.1.1.1 1 1.1.1.1 15 1.1.1.1 100 1.1.1.1 but i want to see this like 100 1.1.1.1 15 1.1.1.44 10... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
3 Replies

9. HP-UX

Top cmd showing NICE value 97% -what to tune?

Running 2 VM Guests on an HPUX Integrity Server. One Guest runs great, the other is always at a high NICE value and 0% idle as shown in TOP: What do you think should be tuned to bring down the NICE and increase IDLE %? Thanks in advance -hpuxadmin slow VM GUEST Load averages: 2.56,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hpuxadmin
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use nice command?

Dear Friends, I have a directory when i take du of that directory it takes alot of memory and cpu and I/O, i want to use nice to run my script that have du command slowly so it won't take I/O and cpu, please suggest. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
6 Replies
nice(1) 							   User Commands							   nice(1)

NAME
nice - invoke a command with an altered scheduling priority SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/nice [-increment | -n increment] command [argument...] /usr/xpg4/bin/nice [-increment | -n increment] command [argument...] csh Builtin nice [-increment | +increment] [command] DESCRIPTION
The nice utility invokes command, requesting that it be run with a different system scheduling priority. The priocntl(1) command is a more general interface to scheduler functions. The invoking process (generally the user's shell) must be in a scheduling class that supports nice. If the C shell (see csh(1)) is used, the full path of the command must be specified. Otherwise, the csh built-in version of nice will be invoked. See csh Builtin below. /usr/bin/nice If nice executes commands with arguments, it uses the default shell /usr/bin/sh (see sh(1)). /usr/xpg4/bin/nice If nice executes commands with arguments, it uses /usr/xpg4/bin/sh (see ksh(1)). csh Builtin nice is also a csh built-in command with behavior different from the utility versions. See csh(1) for description. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -increment | -n increment increment is a positive or negative decimal integer that has the same effect on the execution of the utility as if the utility had called the nice() function with the numeric value of the increment option-argument. See nice(2). nice() errors, other than EINVAL, are ignored. If not specified, an increment of 10 is assumed. The super-user may run commands with priority higher than normal by using a negative increment such as -10. A negative increment assigned by an unprivileged user is ignored. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: command The name of a command that is to be invoked. If command names any of the special built-in utilities (see shell_builtins(1)), the results are undefined. argument Any string to be supplied as an argument when invoking command. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of nice: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, PATH, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
If command is invoked, the exit status of nice will be the exit status of command. Otherwise, nice will exit with one of the following val- ues: 1-125 An error occurred. 126 command was found but could not be invoked. 127 command could not be found. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: /usr/bin/nice +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ /usr/xpg4/bin/nice +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWxcu4 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), nohup(1), priocntl(1), sh(1), shell_builtins(1), nice(2), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 23 Jan 2004 nice(1)