Sponsored Content
Operating Systems BSD Very high nice percentage in top command Post 302896347 by vibhor_agarwali on Monday 7th of April 2014 02:36:41 AM
Old 04-07-2014
Not much of the CPU is being use, a compilation has been triggered.
Earlier it used to complete in ~3 hours which is now taking ~20 hours since last few days.
Here we go.

Code:
ps -auwx | head -15
USER          PID %CPU %MEM   VSZ   RSS  TT  STAT STARTED      TIME COMMAND
x            39055 10.0  6.0 196324 188288  ??  RN   11:34PM   0:04.64 [cc1plus]
x            39109  8.5  2.5 81324 76860  ??  RN   11:34PM   0:01.32 [cc1]
x            39113  8.5  2.1 67932 64280  ??  RN   11:34PM   0:01.31 [cc1]
x            39105  3.4  1.0 32612 29764  ??  RN   11:34PM   0:00.59 [cc1]
root            0  0.0  0.0     0     0  ??  DLs  20Mar14   0:02.39 [swapper]
root            1  0.0  0.0  1888   328  ??  ILs  20Mar14   0:00.19 /sbin/init --
root            2  0.0  0.0     0     8  ??  DL   20Mar14   0:32.19 [g_event]
root            3  0.0  0.0     0     8  ??  DL   20Mar14  11:25.58 [g_up]
root            4  0.0  0.0     0     8  ??  DL   20Mar14  10:16.40 [g_down]
root            5  0.0  0.0     0     8  ??  DL   20Mar14   0:00.00 [kqueue taskq]
root            6  0.0  0.0     0     8  ??  DL   20Mar14   0:00.00 [xpt_thrd]
root            7  0.0  0.0     0     8  ??  DL   20Mar14   0:00.00 [thread taskq]
root            8  0.0  0.0     0     8  ??  DL   20Mar14   0:00.00 [igb0 taskq]
root            9  0.0  0.0     0     8  ??  DL   20Mar14   0:00.00 [igb1 taskq]

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags when posting code or data samples

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 04-07-2014 at 03:39 AM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Top output] NICE % high ?

Hi, I've got some CPU bottleneck on a HP-UX 11 server : i didn't understand it until i discover i've got an unusual high percentage of NICE% CPU regarding my DBRMS process (Sybase 12.x). How do i have to understand it and how to resolve it ? Thx. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: eliador2001
0 Replies

2. Programming

nice command and nice() system call

Hi I want to implement the nice command in the shell that I am building. I came to know that there is a corresponding nice() system call for the same. But since I will be forking different processes to run different commands typed on the command prompt, is there any way I can make a command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tejbuch
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The nice command

hello everybody: I have some job running on tru64 system and Im the root, due to limited resources I end up with my job ( vdump) for example taking the lowest share, I researched the nice command on the net, but couldnt get enough info, can I use it to already running process or I only use it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aladdin
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

top and nice

Hi, I have two identical 12 CPU HPUX machines, and I run the same processes on each that load the boxes fully. top on one reports activity under the NICE (19%) and SYS (18%) columns, while top on the other reports 0% NICE and 16% SYS. What would cause NICE to be zero on one machine and not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: CBorgia
5 Replies

5. Linux

Help pinpointing high HTTPD CPU usage in TOP

Hi, new here and need some help. Sometimes my site is extremely slow, if when there aren't too many people on, whereas when there are over 300 online members the site may be very fast. We use CentOS, PHP 5.26. The server has 4GB and Plesk usually shows about 2 or 3 GB free. I believe I can see... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pspace
4 Replies

6. AIX

Top command in AIX 4.2 (no topas, no nmon, no top)?

Is there a 'top' command equivalent in AIX 4.2 ? I already checked and I do not see the following ones anywhere: top nmon topas (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Is nice command a myth?

Hello, Some guy said to me that using the nice command to decrease the priority of a process is a myth, that the operating system corrects the priorities as the processes need cpu. Is this true? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: psimoes79
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to see high values on top

Hello folks, I am searching for pattern, after that i want its presenece on top to bottom basis, like cat abcd.txt |grep "123"|awk {'print $3'} |sort|uniq -c it show result like 10 1.1.1.1 1 1.1.1.1 15 1.1.1.1 100 1.1.1.1 but i want to see this like 100 1.1.1.1 15 1.1.1.44 10... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
3 Replies

9. HP-UX

Top cmd showing NICE value 97% -what to tune?

Running 2 VM Guests on an HPUX Integrity Server. One Guest runs great, the other is always at a high NICE value and 0% idle as shown in TOP: What do you think should be tuned to bring down the NICE and increase IDLE %? Thanks in advance -hpuxadmin slow VM GUEST Load averages: 2.56,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hpuxadmin
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use nice command?

Dear Friends, I have a directory when i take du of that directory it takes alot of memory and cpu and I/O, i want to use nice to run my script that have du command slowly so it won't take I/O and cpu, please suggest. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
6 Replies
taskq(9F)						   Kernel Functions for Drivers 						 taskq(9F)

NAME
taskq, ddi_taskq_create, ddi_taskq_destroy, ddi_taskq_dispatch, ddi_taskq_wait, ddi_taskq_suspend, taskq_suspended, ddi_taskq_resume - Ker- nel task queue operations SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/sunddi.h> ddi_taskq_t *ddi_taskq_create(dev_info_t *dip, const char *name, int nthreads, pri_t pri, uint_t cflags); void ddi_taskq_destroy(ddi_taskq_t *tq); int ddi_taskq_dispatch(ddi_taskq_t *tq, void (* func)(void *), void *arg, uint_t dflags); void ddi_taskq_wait(ddi_taskq_t *tq); void ddi_taskq_suspend(ddi_taskq_t *tq); boolean_t ddi_taskq_suspended(ddi_taskq_t *tq); void ddi_taskq_resume(ddi_taskq_t *tq); INTERFACE LEVEL
Solaris DDI specific (Solaris DDI) PARAMETERS
dip Pointer to the device's dev_info structure. May be NULL for kernel modules that do not have an associated dev_info structure. name Descriptive string. Only alphanumeric characters can be used in name and spaces are not allowed. The name should be unique. nthreads Number of threads servicing the task queue. Note that the request ordering is guaranteed (tasks are processed in the order scheduled) if the taskq is created with a single servicing thread. pri Priority of threads servicing the task queue. Drivers and modules should specify TASKQ_DEFAULTPRI. cflags Should pass 0 as flags. func Callback function to call. arg Argument to the callback function. dflags Possible dflags are: DDI_SLEEP Allow sleeping (blocking) until memory is available. DDI_NOSLEEP Return DDI_FAILURE immediately if memory is not available. tq Pointer to a task queue (ddi_taskq_t *). tp Pointer to a thread structure. DESCRIPTION
A kernel task queue is a mechanism for general-purpose asynchronous task scheduling that enables tasks to be performed at a later time by another thread. There are several reasons why you may utilize asynchronous task scheduling: 1. You have a task that isn't time-critical, but a current code path that is. 2. You have a task that may require grabbing locks that a thread already holds. 3. You have a task that needs to block (for example, to wait for memory), but a have a thread that cannot block in its current con- text. 4. You have a code path that can't complete because of a specific condition, but also can't sleep or fail. In this case, the task is immediately queued and then is executed after the condition disappears. 5. A task queue is just a simple way to launch multiple tasks in parallel. A task queue consists of a list of tasks, together with one or more threads to service the list. If a task queue has a single service thread, all tasks are guaranteed to execute in the order they were dispatched. Otherwise they can be executed in any order. Note that since tasks are placed on a list, execution of one task and should not depend on the execution of another task or a deadlock may occur. A taskq created with a single servicing thread guarantees that all the tasks are serviced in the order in which they are scheduled. The ddi_taskq_create() function creates a task queue instance. The ddi_taskq_dispatch() function places taskq on the list for later execution. The dflag argument specifies whether it is allowed sleep waiting for memory. DDI_SLEEP dispatches can sleep and are guaranteed to succeed. DDI_NOSLEEP dispatches are guaranteed not to sleep but may fail (return DDI_FAILURE) if resources are not available. The ddi_taskq_destroy() function waits for any scheduled tasks to complete, then destroys the taskq. The caller should guarantee that no new tasks are scheduled for the closing taskq. The ddi_taskq_wait() function waits for all previously scheduled tasks to complete. Note that this function does not stop any new task dis- patches. The ddi_taskq_suspend() function suspends all task execution until ddi_taskq_resume() is called. Although ddi_taskq_suspend() attempts to suspend pending tasks, there are no guarantees that they will be suspended. The only guarantee is that all tasks dispatched after ddi_taskq_suspend() will not be executed. Because it will trigger a deadlock, the ddi_taskq_suspend() function should never be called by a task executing on a taskq. The ddi_taskq_suspended() function returns B_TRUE if taskq is suspended, and B_FALSE otherwise. It is intended to ASSERT that the task queue is suspended. The ddi_taskq_resume() function resumes task queue execution. RETURN VALUES
The ddi_taskq_create() function creates an opaque handle that is used for all other taskq operations. It returns a taskq pointer on success and NULL on failure. The ddi_taskq_dispatch() function returns DDI_FAILURE if it can't dispatch a task and returns DDI_SUCCESS if dispatch succeeded. The ddi_taskq_suspended() function returns B_TRUE if taskq is suspended. Otherwise B_FALSE is returned. CONTEXT
All functions may be called from the user or kernel contexts. Addtionally, the ddi_taskq_dispatch function may be called from the interrupt context only if the DDI_NOSLEEP flag is set. SunOS 5.11 1 Mar 2005 taskq(9F)