Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Problems with Dutch and converting files to UNIX Post 302894037 by A-V on Sunday 23rd of March 2014 09:00:27 AM
Old 03-23-2014
not all the files are with the same hidden structure and some have others in different places but i guess it should work if I use perl to remove the BOMs

tried deleting the first 3 character and it seems to help the process ... thanx

Last edited by A-V; 03-23-2014 at 12:23 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

converting files from unix to windows

Need Help?? We receive Files From GM Motors and they written on a Sun Workstation using the Tar Command on a 4mm Dat Tape. We have an HP sure Store 24 Tape drive that will Execpt but when i do that it says that the media is bad. was wondering if there was any software that would read it in its... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jefft1976
2 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Converting BMP to BM (or other unix format)

Hey pllz, ive got a little problem, i want to convert a bmp of gif or jpg to an unix format (bm) anybody got any suggestions ? greets\EJ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: EJ =)
1 Replies

3. OS X (Apple)

Converting Unix executable files

I loaded OS X Panther on my Mac G4 and found that many files previously saved as Word or Word Perfect files were inadventently converted to Unix executable files. When I try to read these in Word, it cannot recognize or translate the file properly. Does anyone know how to translate these files? Is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Steven Greenber
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Converting Unix text to windows

I am trying to FTP a text file from a machine running LynxOS and I am having problems with the way windows "sees" the characters. For example this is how windows presents the text:     DevProcRcpClass The boxes are what I am having problems with. When viewing the same file on a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mchristisen
3 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Converting UNIX scripts to DOS

Is there a tool available to convert UNIX (BASH Shell) scripts to DOS scripts? I understand that DOS scripting is far inferior to unix scripting, and therfore this conversion may not be possible. Alternativley, perhaps I could convert my Unix scripts to C... then compile it for a windows... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Crozz
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting DOS filetype to UNIX

Hello folks I am working on a project that requires me to write a script that operates on a bunch of text files. When I try less file.txt I see a bunch of ^M's everywhere. Some Googling tells me that this is because the files have a DOS fileformat and found the following fixes: sed 's/^M$//'... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksk
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - problems by converting date-format

Hi i try to change the date-format from DD/MM/YYYY into MM/DD/YY. Input-Data: ... 31/12/2013,23:40,198.00,6.20,2,2,2,1,11580.0,222 31/12/2013,23:50,209.00,7.30,2,2,3,0,4380.0 01/01/2014,00:00,205.90,8.30,2,2,3,1,9360.0,223 ... Output-Data should be: ...... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPe
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Multiline Files to Flat Files?

How to convert this: F1-R1 F1-R2 F1-R3 into a flat file for bash?? Each record F2-R1 F2-R2 F2-R3 F3-R1 F3-R2 F3-R3 F4-R1 F4-R2 F4-R3is on one line with all fields for that record, put into an output file. The output file should look like this when converted: F1-R1,F2-R1,F3-R1,F4-R1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bud1738
6 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Converting .dat to UNIX

I uploaded a .dat file from sftp to my server and after using dos2unix to convert the file and check my work it says that the file was not transferred correctly and that the content is garbled. Please help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ovid158
3 Replies
PERL-AFTER-UPGRADE(1)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				     PERL-AFTER-UPGRADE(1)

NAME
perl-after-upgrade -- fixup FreeBSD packages that depend on perl SYNOPSIS
perl-after-upgrade perl-after-upgrade -f perl-after-upgrade -v DESCRIPTION
The standard procedure after a perl port (either lang/perl5.6 or lang/perl5.8) upgrade is to basically reinstall all other packages that depend on perl. This is always a painful exercise. The perl-after-upgrade utility makes this process mostly unnecessary. The tool goes through the list of installed packages, looks for those that depend on perl, moves files around, modifies shebang lines in those scripts in which it is necessary to do so, tries its best to adjust dynamically linked binaries that link with libperl.so in the old path, and updates the package database. After installation of the new perl is complete, either by hand from the ports collection, or from a package, or via portupgrade, do the following: o go root; o run perl-after-upgrade utility. Do not specify any arguments at first, so it does nothing destructive. Pay attention to the produced output and especially to errorlist at the end, if any; o run the utility again, with -f command line option. This will actually do the work. Again, pay attention to the output produced; o fix any reported errors; o reinstall required packages: The utility will tell you what packages that depend on perl it could not handle. It will also tell you why it happened (for example, they were compiled against a binary incompatible perl). If you want such packages to remain operational, you will have to reinstall then by hand or via portupgrade. o review the files left in the older perl installation. This is typically /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.X.Y/. There should be very little, if any, files in that directory and its subdi- rectories, excepting a number of .ph files; o check that things work as they should; o remove backup files from the package database. Those will be /var/db/pkg/*/+CONTENTS.bak; o that's all. COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright 2005 by Anton Berezin "THE BEER-WARE LICENSE" (Revision 42) <tobez@FreeBSD.org> wrote this module. As long as you retain this notice you can do whatever you want with this stuff. If we meet some day, and you think this stuff is worth it, you can buy me a beer in return. Anton Berezin NO WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. HISTORY
The first version of this utility was not bundled with perl package on FreeBSD. It was dumber than the current version in several impor- tant areas. It was faster. CREDITS
Thanks to Mathieu Arnold for discussion. SEE ALSO
perl(1). perl v5.8.9 2009-04-13 PERL-AFTER-UPGRADE(1)