Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Permission denied
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Permission denied Post 302893971 by bakunin on Saturday 22nd of March 2014 01:49:16 PM
Old 03-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinababy
when i run echo "User” > /dev/tty5 why do i get permission denied? Smilie
Because you are not allowed to do that. ;-))

Seriously: check the permissions of file "/dev/tty5" with the command

Code:
ls -l /dev/tty5

and have a look. Every file (device files are files too) carry a "r" (read), a "w" (write) and a "x" (execute) privilege for the owner, the owners group and every other user. See "man ls" for more details about this. Here is one of my systems:

Code:
# ls -l /dev/tty5
crw------- 1 root root 4, 5 Mar  4 15:51 /dev/tty5

As you can see the user "root" has "rw", his group (accidentally also named "root") has no rights at all and everybody else has no rights either.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

permission denied??

i'm trying to set up my internet connection and i was told i need to edit the file /etc/ppp/pap-secrets but i get a permission denied message...why?? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: justchillin
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

./ Permission Denied.

Could someone tell me why I am getting a permission denied message when I attempt to run this on an out file? Thanks! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: trouscaillon
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission Denied

I just started computer science at UW Milwaukee. When I access the university Solaris system from PuTTY, I get permission denied when I try to access the file I wrote. Now I really have no idea what I'm doing, I just don't understand why I get permission denied in my won directory. Thank You ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: howeezy
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Permission denied

Hi, I can not execute a .env file $ . /Data/oracle/d03/mydbora/8.0.6/MYDB.env -bash: /Data/oracle/d03/mydbora/8.0.6/MYDB.env: Permission denied Even if : -rwxrwxrwx 1 oracle dba 2903 Mar 5 2007 /Data/oracle/d03/mydbora/8.0.6/MYDB.env Please help. Many thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: big123456
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why do I keep getting .:Permission denied?

I'll start off by saying that I know very little about Unix - however, I do know that I have a .profile file in my home directory, and that I should be able to invoke it by typing . profile. However, when I do this for ANY .filename, I get ".: Permission denied". I'm pretty sure that there is... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbersani
12 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission denied

I would like to copy data from local mechine to cluster. Basically, I typed scp -r DVD/ acount@cluster:/ it shows Permission denied. Could anyone please give me a clue to write permission on cluster, please? The poperty of where on cluster I'd like to put is drwxr-xr-x Any idea would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: su_in99
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Permission denied

Hi guys im new to this db i have a small prob while installing websphereportal6.1i think i was installed succesfully but the error im getting is while starting server. check this out # ./serverStatus.sh -all Error loading: /usr/wps61/AppServer/java/jre/bin/classic/libjvm.so: cannot... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: varma917989
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Permission denied

I created a user so that when he logs in he will be directed to a menu /etc/passwd user1:x:115:1:Support -SysAd:/export/home/user1:/export/home/suppotrmenu/script.sh However when I logged in remotely from another server by ssh user1@1.1.1.1 , it saysexport/home/suppotrmenu/script.sh:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
4 Replies

9. Linux

Permission denied

I am using korn shell When I type in Telnet on cmd line, I get message "cannot execute" How can I get permission to execute command ? In which dir is telnet located ? I looked in /usr/bin dir. but its not there Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paramshamnani
1 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Permission denied

Trying to get date into the txt file. It says Permission denied. echo $(date +%I:%M:%S_%D) >> /tmp/systemd_suspend_test_err.txt exec 2>> /tmp/systemd_suspend_test_err.txt if ; then # Do the thing you want before suspend here echo "we are suspending $(date +%I:%M:%S_%D)." elif ;... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
5 Replies
ns_requestauthorize(3aolserver) 			    AOLserver Built-In Commands 			   ns_requestauthorize(3aolserver)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
ns_requestauthorize - commands SYNOPSIS
ns_requestauthorize option ?arg arg ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
ns_requestauthorize method URL authuser authpassword ?ipaddr? Ask the server to check permissions using nsperm. This function does the same permission check that the AOLserver does before serving a URL. If the nsperm module is loaded, the algorithm is as follows. 1. If the authuser is "nsadmin", the password is correct, and the IP address of the client is allowed nsadmin access, then access is autho- rized. 2. Find the relevant permission record. If an exact match for the method and URL combination is not found, the end of the URL is pared down until a match is found. For example, if there is no match for `/products/cereals/raisin_bran.html,' then the server looks for a permis- sion record for the URL `/products/cereals.' If that permission record is specified as "Exact URL match is NOT required", then that per- mission record is used. By default, the server comes with a row that says GET on `/' is open to the world. If no relevant permission record is found, access is denied (forbidden). 1. If the authuser is in the "Allow Users" list, access is permitted. If the authuser is a member of a group in the "Allow Groups" list and not in the "Deny Users" list, access is permitted. 2. If the host is in the "Hosts to allow" list, access is permitted. If the host is in the "Hosts to deny" list, access is denied. 3. If the request does not come in with authorization data, access is denied. 4. The user and password are verified. If there is no password specified in the database, any password is accepted. 5. Otherwise, access is denied. Return Values: The following values can be returned by ns_requestauthorize. OK The user has permission to execute this URL and method. DENIED The user does not have permission to execute this URL and method. FORBIDDEN There is no possible user/password/IP Address combination that would give authorization. ERROR There was an error. SEE ALSO
ns_passwordcheck, ns_crypt KEYWORDS
AOLserver 4.0 ns_requestauthorize(3aolserver)