Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Script to count number of rows Post 302889312 by ssk250 on Thursday 20th of February 2014 12:34:58 AM
Old 02-20-2014
Script to display the lines which contain M as the last letter in the column of a two column line

Hi Scrutinizer,

thanks for your script.

I just changed it a little bit to get my required output which is as below:

1) Script to display the lines which contain M as the last letter in the column of a two column line:

Code:
awk '$1~/M$/{print $1"\t"$2}' filename | sort -u

2) Script to display files and their space occupied in terms of MB in a descending order

Code:
du -h *|awk '$1~/M$/{print $1"\t"$2}'|sort -nr

Once again thanks for the reply....

have a nice time Smilie

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 02-20-2014 at 01:39 AM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find the average of a given column and also for specified number of rows??

Hi friends I have 100 files in my directory. Each file look like this.. Temp1 Temp2 Temp3 MAS 1 2 3 MAS 4 5 6 MAS 7 8 9 Delhi 10 11 12 Delhi 13 14 15 Delhi 16 17 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find the average of a given column and also for specified number of rows?

Hi Friends, In continuation to my earlier post https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/99166-script-find-average-given-column-also-specified-number-rows.html I am extending my problem as follows. Input: Column1 Column2 MAS 1 MAS 4 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to count number of rows and sum of column using awk

Hi All, I have the following input which i want to process using AWK. Rows,NC,amount 1,1202,0.192387 2,1201,0.111111 3,1201,0.123456 i want the following output count of rows = 3 ,sum of amount = 0.426954 Many thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pistachio
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to add the number of row and count number of rows

Hi experts a have a very large file and I need to add two columns: the first one numbering the incidence of records and the another with the total count The input file: 21 2341 A 21 2341 A 21 2341 A 21 2341 C 21 2341 C 21 2341 C 21 2341 C 21 4567 A 21 4567 A 21 4567 C ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: juelillo
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

count number of rows based on other column values

Could anybody help with this? I have input below ..... david,39 david,39 emelie,40 clarissa,22 bob,42 bob,42 tim,32 bob,39 david,38 emelie,47 what i want to do is count how many names there are with different ages, so output would be like this .... david,2 emelie,2 clarissa,1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: itsme999
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to count unique rows in a CSV

HI All, I have a CSV file of 30 columns separated by ,. I want to get a count of all unique rows written to a flat file. The CSV file is around 5000 rows The first column is a time stamp and I need to exclude while counting unique Thanks, Ravi (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nani369
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to count number of files in directories

Hi All! I would like to have a script that will count the number of files at the top of the hour of soome directories and mail the results to me. I was thinking on : a=`/directory/subdirectory/ | wc -l` echo "/directory/subdirectory :$a" b=`/another_dir/subdir/ | wc -l` echo... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract and count number of Duplicate rows

Hi All, I need to extract duplicate rows from a file and write these bad records into another file. And need to have a count of these bad records. i have a command awk ' {s++} END { for(i in s) { if(s>1) { print i } } }' ${TMP_DUPE_RECS}>>${TMP_BAD_DATA_DUPE_RECS}... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun Mishra
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reseting row count every given number of rows

I have a file with 48 rows. I am counting 6 rows and adding 6 to that number and repeating the operation, and then output the value in column 1. For the second column, I would like to get sort of a binary output (1s and 2s) every 3rd row. This is what I have: awk '{print ++src +... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Xterra
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

What script would I use to count the number of a term and its opposite?

Hello All, I am looking to write a script to count the number of a term and its opposite and create a new file with said list. I can get the terms to print to the file but only one or the other and not both. I tried this: grep -wi done */all.txt | grep -wiv done */all.txt > "filename" ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcesmcsc
5 Replies
Locale::Language(3perl) 				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				   Locale::Language(3perl)

NAME
Locale::Language - standard codes for language identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Language; $lang = code2language('en'); # $lang gets 'English' $code = language2code('French'); # $code gets 'fr' @codes = all_language_codes(); @names = all_language_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Language" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying languages, such as those as defined in ISO 639. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639 two- letter codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying languages. The ones currently supported are: alpha-2 This is the set of two-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639, such as 'he' for Hebrew. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_LANG_ALPHA_2". This is the default code set. alpha-3 This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) bibliographic codes from ISO 639, such as 'heb' for Hebrew. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_LANG_ALPHA_3". term This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) terminologic codes from ISO 639. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_LANG_TERM". ROUTINES
code2language ( CODE [,CODESET] ) language2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) language_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_language_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_language_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Language::rename_language ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Language::add_language ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Language::delete_language ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Language::add_language_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Language::delete_language_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Language::rename_language_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Language::add_language_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Language::delete_language_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes Locale::Constants http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/ Source of the ISO 639 codes. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2001 Canon Research Centre Europe (CRE). Copyright (c) 2001-2010 Neil Bowers Copyright (c) 2010-2011 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2011-09-26 Locale::Language(3perl)