Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Fedora Which flavor of UNIX or Linux to learn? Post 302883789 by Petros_K on Thursday 16th of January 2014 04:43:29 AM
Old 01-16-2014
Which flavor of UNIX or Linux to learn?

Hi all,

Noob here. I have been dabbling with Linux for years, basically installing different types of distros and becoming familiar with the default gui that came along with it.

At this point, I find myself wanting to learn alot more. It would be great if that knowledge helped me move forward in my IT career. I work currently as a lowly data center operator monitoring crucial systems. I want to administer them! I want to be a Unix guru.

So which flavor is really worth learning? Which is the most widely used in production systems? Solaris, Fedora, Suse ?
Where does one begin ?

Thanks in advance for the help.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need a flavor of Unix

Hello all! I'm the new guy in these parts. I'm a part time college student/part time Java Intern. I've seen that during my days at work having a basic knowledge and understanding for Unix is a great benefit for us developers. I've got a dual boot on my main workstation at home of Win2K Pro and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AMDPwred
3 Replies

2. Linux

How and where to learn Linux?

I'd like to pass some exames to get certificates for Linux. Can someone advice me how to do it "on distance" and self studie? thanks! d. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: diamond
4 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

Linux flavor of tversity

I have been using UShare, but would like to get something that is more in line with tversity's functionality. Has anyone any suggestions? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sport9155
0 Replies

4. Fedora

Is it better to learn Linux before unix?

I want to learn (unix solaris), but someone advised me to learn (Linux fedora) before trying (unix solaris) and that they are almost the same.. So shall I go with his advise or is it better to start learning unix directly? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: proud
1 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Which flavor of unix has more job opportunities?

All, I've almost 5+ yrs experience in IT sector. i've mostly work with support projects in Unix/ Linux (Shell scripting), SQL, Autosys job scheduling. Now i really felt boring with the work i'm doing currently. Hence i've decided to expertise myself in new skill set. I'm planning to learn unix... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: apsprabhu
4 Replies

6. Fedora

Flavor of Unix

I would like to know wich Unix to get and run, because I have access to "ALL" paid and non paid versions What I would like to do is set up Cloud Computing from home so that I may gain experience in this area for my resume. I have read that the best right now is Ubuntu Server v9.10 Can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jmeyer
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I have to learn UNIX/LINUX/VIM/EMACS

I need some advice from people who use command line frequently and know how to use both VIM and EMACS pretty well for their daily tasks. Please no opinion on which one better etc..., I got enough at that from the Internet. A little about my professional background: I have been a firmware... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gspec
2 Replies

8. Fedora

Which is the better platform to learn UNIX/Linux (Kali Linux Vs. Red Hat or other)?

I just started a new semester and I started my UNIX class yesterday. I've already decided to use python along with my learning process but what I really want to use with it is Kali as my UNIX/Linux platform to learn off of since I already wanted to learn Cyber Sec. anyways. I just wanted to know if... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ApacheOmega
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Wanna learn native GUI programming in UNIX - Linux ?

Hi , wanna learn native GUI programming in Unix-Linux instead of Gtk and Qt. No problem. You don't need a cross platform Gui toolkit like Gtk and Qt. And the code and syntax is also not more or less than others. Check out this code for a simple mainwindow for your application that is openend in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sennenmut
0 Replies
prestoctl_svc(8)					      System Manager's Manual						  prestoctl_svc(8)

Name
       prestoctl_svc - Prestoserve control daemon

Syntax
       /usr/etc/prestoctl_svc [ -n ]

Description
       The RPC-based daemon allows remote client systems to monitor and administer a Prestoserve cache and its driver.	The client system does not
       have to be running the Prestoserve software.  The daemon can be started manually, or it can be started each time you reboot by  adding  the
       command to the file of the machine running the Prestoserve software.

You  must  run the daemon if you want remote client systems to be able to use the command to monitor and manage your system and if you want
       to use the command.  Refer to and to for more information.

Options
       -n     Allows remote client systems to manage a Prestoserve cache and its driver.  The -n option allows remote client systems to change the
	      size of a Prestoserve cache and to change the state of a Prestoserve cache by using remote procedure calls.  The -n option is useful
	      when evaluating or demonstrating Prestoserve capabilities.  Because of security problems, it is recommended that the -n  option  not
	      be used on production machines.

Files
       Generic Prestoserve control device.

File where you add the
			 command.

See Also
       presto(8), dxpresto(8X), presto(4)
       Guide to Prestoserve

prestoctl_svc(8)