Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Fedora Accuracy of jobs scheduled in cron Post 302879238 by Corona688 on Wednesday 11th of December 2013 11:28:19 AM
Old 12-11-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by faka
Dear Corona, I need to parse some text files and send the results in more precise or approximate time, 1 second after the data no longer serve because they change constantly.
It is the application's job to tell you when it is done, then. Cron cannot do this, and it is not correct to assume your application is always ready at exactly the right time. What is your application?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cron Jobs

Where can someone find info on Cron Jobs? Very new to UNIX and the PC I inherited looks to have several of them. Looks like they are some kind of background program that runs automatically at specified times. Would like to delete some of them and know more about them. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dereckbc
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conditional File Movement script scheduled using CRON job

Hi All, i am trying to automate a process and have to create a unix script like wise. I have a scenario in which i need to automate a file movement. Below are the steps i need to automate. 1. Check whether a file (Not Fixed name-Pattern search of file say 'E*.dat') is present in a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: imu
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Jobs scheduled in crontabs are not running after a migration to oracle 9i

Good Morning. The problem started after tha migration to a newer version of oracle - migration to oracle 9i. Before the migration jobs that were scheduled in crontabs were running ok. but after the migration they are not running. I understand that is not easy to find out what the problem is.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem when the script is scheduled to run as cron job

Hello, I have problem in executing a shell script. When the shell script is executed at the shell prompt the script works successfully but when the same script is run as a cron job it fails to execute the files called within the shell script. I have scheduled the job in my crontab file as ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: forumthreads
6 Replies

5. Solaris

where to check scheduled jobs in SunOS

Hi SunOS Experts where will look up to correct the problem with my sunos, it normally shutdown on its own and reboot itself. i am suspecting that somebody has scheduled it to be doing like that . which file can i look up to correct this problem.this is a server that is suppose to be up 24/7.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dba
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

How to find out jobs scheduled by "at" command?

How to find out jobs scheduled by "at" command? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnveslin
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

List all daily scheduled cron jobs from my cronfile

I had a cron file named mycron.cron and this file has cron jobs runs through out 365 days (jobs in the file mycron.cron run hourly, daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly). Is there an easy way to find what are the jobs scheduled today and what time they are scheduled to run? Thanks in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sureng
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Cron jobs and at jobs

There are two jobs in Solaris , Cron and at jobs.. I know how to disable or enable cron jobs. How can I enable at jobs and disable it. Kindly help. Rj (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Cron Jobs not running at scheduled time

I've scheduled few jobs using cron. But they are not running ..... What might be the possible reasons ?? Also tell me how to troubleshoot............. Please help me ....... Thanks in Advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cron job scheduled is running once, but reports are generating twice

Team, Hope you all are doing fine I have one admin server which is being used dedicately to run cron jobs on hourly basis, fetching the details from Database which is in a different server.These cronjob are run on every hourly/5 minutes basis depending as per end user requirement.The script... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: whizkidash
12 Replies
queuedefs(4)							   File Formats 						      queuedefs(4)

NAME
queuedefs - queue description file for at, batch, and cron SYNOPSIS
/etc/cron.d/queuedefs DESCRIPTION
The queuedefs file describes the characteristics of the queues managed by cron(1M). Each non-comment line in this file describes one queue. The format of the lines are as follows: q.[njobj][nicen][nwaitw] The fields in this line are: q The name of the queue. a is the default queue for jobs started by at(1); b is the default queue for jobs started by batch (see at(1)); c is the default queue for jobs run from a crontab(1) file. njob The maximum number of jobs that can be run simultaneously in that queue; if more than njob jobs are ready to run, only the first njob jobs will be run, and the others will be run as jobs that are currently running terminate. The default value is 100. nice The nice(1) value to give to all jobs in that queue that are not run with a user ID of super-user. The default value is 2. nwait The number of seconds to wait before rescheduling a job that was deferred because more than njob jobs were running in that job's queue, or because the system-wide limit of jobs executing has been reached. The default value is 60. Lines beginning with # are comments, and are ignored. EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample file. # # a.4j1n b.2j2n90w This file specifies that the a queue, for at jobs, can have up to 4 jobs running simultaneously; those jobs will be run with a nice value of 1. As no nwait value was given, if a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running cron will wait 60 seconds before trying again to run it. The b queue, for batch(1) jobs, can have up to 2 jobs running simultaneously; those jobs will be run with a nice(1) value of 2. If a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running, cron(1M) will wait 90 seconds before trying again to run it. All other queues can have up to 100 jobs running simultaneously; they will be run with a nice value of 2, and if a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running cron will wait 60 seconds before trying again to run it. FILES
/etc/cron.d/queuedefs queue description file for at, batch, and cron. SEE ALSO
at(1), crontab(1), nice(1), cron(1M) SunOS 5.10 1 Mar 1994 queuedefs(4)