Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Syslog formatting issue
Operating Systems Solaris Syslog formatting issue Post 302878415 by Pra on Friday 6th of December 2013 04:18:30 AM
Old 12-06-2013
Syslog formatting issue

Hi,

I am using log4j syslog appender to redirect the application logs to the solaris syslog.
However, I am facing issue in formatting. It is not able to interpret new line characters and is printing \n as it is.

Ex: Following is getting written into the syslog file.
Code:

"[ExceptionList]\n [RecoverableException ('MQROOT')]\n File = '/build
/S700_P/src/DataFlowEngine/PluginInterface/ImbJniNode.cpp' (String)\n Line = '1258' (Integer)\n Function = 'ImbJni
Node"

I know in Linux (Ubuntu) we have option to escape the control characters by specifying below option in syslog config file.
Code:
"$EscapeControlCharactersOnReceive off"

Please let me know if we have similar option in Solaris? how to resolve this please help

Last edited by vbe; 12-06-2013 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Arithmatic operation issue , datatype issue

Hi, I have a shell scripting. This will take 7 digit number in each line and add 7 digit number with next subsequent lines ( normal addition ). Eg: 0000001 0000220 0001235 0000022 0000023 ........... ......... ........ Like this i am having around 1500000 records. After adding... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: thambi
23 Replies

2. Solaris

Syslog config Issue.

Hi All, I have configured a centralised system log server. The /etc/syslog.conf file in my client(Sol 5.10) looks like this. e1011605: cat /etc/syslog.conf # # Copyright (c) 2000-2002 by Sun Microsystems, Inc. # All rights reserved. # #ident "@(#)syslog.conf 2.3 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hari_Ganesh
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting issue

I am running this query in a SQL session : info_dtls=`sqlplus -s / <<eof whenever sqlerror exit 1 set feedback off; set verify off; set echo off; set heading off; select trim(a.cont_title)||'","'||trim(b.cpgrp_desc)|| '","'||trim(to_char(to_date('20100930','yyyymmdd'),'MM/DD/YYYY'))||... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mady135
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Space formatting issue in sed

How to remove any space around a specific charachter from a string using sed. for exmple : the string is like following str1='"name", "roll", "addr","job", "pay",' I need to remove all the spaces aronnd the commas. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mady135
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need solution to formatting issue

Hi All, I have written a grep command to grep the files containing Windows directories. I need to output this to a csv. So here is the code. OUTPUT_FILE="Sample-format.txt" ACT_OUTPUT_FILE="Sample-format.csv" grep -wHrnI --exclude=*.log ':\{1,2\}*\{1,2\}*'... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: flamingo_l
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need assistance with a file issue and a terminal issue

Hello everyone, I'm in need of some assistance. I'm currently enrolled in an introductory UNIX shell programming course and, well halfway through the semester, we are receiving our first actual assignment. I've somewhat realized now that I've fallen behind, and I'm working to get caught up, but for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MrMagoo22
1 Replies

7. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

email from *nix to Exchange - text formatting issue

Oracle Linux 5.6 x-86-64 (Red Hat derivitive) I have several shell scripts that capture output to a log file, then use that log file as the source of an email. For a very simplified example: echo Today is `date` >> $logfile /bin/mail -s "$subject" "$sendto" < $logfile (yes, $subject... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: edstevens
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable value substitution issue with awk command issue

Hi All, I am using the below script which has awk command, but it is not returing the expected result. can some pls help me to correct the command. The below script sample.ksh should give the result if the value of last 4 digits in the variable NM matches with the variable value DAT. The... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: G.K.K
7 Replies

9. BSD

Syslog.conf issue

I'm trying to get all ipfw logs going to ipfw.log I've managed that, but ipfw.log is also getting stuff that shows up in system.log !-ipfw *.notice;authpriv,remoteauth,ftp,install,internal.none /var/log/system.log kern.* /var/log/kernel.log... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jnojr
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk Script Output in Outlook Formatting Issue

When i execute the below shell script with 2 different Input files, for one of the data files (datafile1) my email message body in the outlook messes up and every thing comes up in one line. May i please know what i am doing wrong here or how to fix this? The only difference in data files is one is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ariean
1 Replies
Razor2::Syslog(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					 Razor2::Syslog(3)

NAME
Razor2::Syslog -- Syslog support for Razor2 SYNOPSIS
use Razor2::Syslog; my $s=new Razor2::Syslog(Facility=>'local4',Priority=>'debug'); $s->send('see this in syslog',Priority=>'info'); DESCRIPTION
This module has been derived from Net::Syslog. Some optimizations were made to Net::Syslog, in particular support for keeping a socket open. What follows is the documentation for Net::Syslog, which completely applies to this module. Net::Syslog implements the intra-host syslog forwarding protocol. It is not intended to replace the Sys::Syslog or Unix::Syslog modules, but instead to provide a method of using syslog when a local syslogd is unavailable or when you don't want to write syslog messages to the local syslog. The new call sets up default values, any of which can be overridden in the send call. Keys (listed with default values) are: Name <calling script name> Facility local5 Priority err SyslogPort 514 SyslogHost 127.0.0.1 Valid Facilities are: kern, user, mail, daemon, auth, syslog, lpr, news, uucp, cron, authpriv, ftp, local0, local1, local2, local3, local4, local5, local6 Valid Priorities are: emerg, alert, crit, err, warning, notice, info, debug AUTHOR
Les Howard, les@lesandchris.com Vipul Ved Prakash, mail@vipul.net SEE ALSO
syslog(3), Sys::Syslog(3), syslogd(8), Unix::Syslog(3), IO::Socket, perl(1) perl v5.12.1 2005-05-09 Razor2::Syslog(3)