Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unable to list folder contents Post 302873237 by vbe on Monday 11th of November 2013 11:33:09 AM
Old 11-11-2013
Can you show me your PATH content?
my 2 cents:
You could imagine having: PATH=.:$PATH
if now in /opt/smt/proiv/scripts you would have a script with perms 755 called ls with content: echo
What would you thing you would see when you go in that directory and type?
Code:
 ls
ls -al
ls -lrt

P.S.
(my env is for ksh, please adapt to your shell...
These 3 Users Gave Thanks to vbe For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Folder Contents

Hi, I'm trying to allow people to access the contents of a folder on a web site, I am automatically placing files in this folder for people to download. I'm using Apache on Mac OS X, if that makes a difference. Can anyone help with this? I've found no documentation on this so far... ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: spencer
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy folder contents

I need to make a new dir in side the dir lab5 the new dir is called testLab5 without changing directories copy all files from your lab5 directory into your testLab5 directory then i have to without chaning directories and using exactly one command remove all files that start with the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robsk8_99
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to display contents of folder when 'cd' is used

Hi, I am a new learner of Unix. I am currently working on a Solaris 8 machine. Earlier, when I use 'cd <folder name>' command, I am not only able to change the folder but also able to see the contents of the folder as if a 'ls -lt' command was executed. However, since a week, suddenly this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mumashankar
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dtterm to list a folder contents in new window

Hi everyone,:cool: thank you in advance for any help on this I have a dtterm command to open a new small terminal window with a contents of log, and it works fine. dtterm -title "my.log" -geometry =40x30+0+550 -fn 6x13 -e tail -n 40 -f /home/logs/user.log & However what I want to do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: golfcents
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy folder and its contents to another folder

Hi experts, I am coming to you with this basic question on copying a folder and its content from one location to another folder using PERL script. This is my requirement. I have a folder AB under /users/myhome I want to copy AB and its contents to /user/workspace. Finally it should... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amvarma77
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy all the contents of a list of files present in a folder to a particular file?

Hi All, I want to copy all the contents of a list of files in a folder to a particular file. i am using following command: cat dir/* >> newFile.txtIt's not working. Could you please help? Thanks, Pranav (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pranav Bhasker
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Folder contents getting appended as strings while redirecting file contents to a variable

Hi one of the output of the command is as below # sed -n "/CCM-ResourceHealthCheck:/,/---------/{/CCM-ResourceHealthCheck:/d;/---------/d;p;}" Automation.OutputZ$zoneCounter | sed 's/$/<br>/' Resource List : <br> *************************** 1. row ***************************<br> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove folder contents

for dir in BKP/*/ do echo You are in :$dir done O/P -- BKP/201448/ BKP/201449/ BKP/201450/ BKP/201451/ BKP/201452/ BKP/201501/ BKP/201502/ BKP/201503/ BKP/201504/ BKP/201505/ BKP/201506/ BKP/201507/ (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocking77
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to copy contents

I am trying to move content of a folder usingls /backup/db_backups/INCREMENTAL/|while read file ; do mv $file /backup_LOCAL/db_backups/INCREMENTAL/ done...but when I run this command using a bash script I'm getting this error ./test.sh mv: cannot stat... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocking77
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Best way to move the contents of a folder to another one

what is the best way to move the contents of a folder to another one without deleting the structure of the first one. the contents could include subfolder too. both folder, the source-folder and the target-folder are on the same host. any idea is appreciated . (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: andy2000
7 Replies
WHICH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  WHICH(1)

NAME
which - shows the full path of (shell) commands. SYNOPSIS
which [options] [--] programname [...] DESCRIPTION
Which takes one or more arguments. For each of its arguments it prints to stdout the full path of the executables that would have been exe- cuted when this argument had been entered at the shell prompt. It does this by searching for an executable or script in the directories listed in the environment variable PATH using the same algorithm as bash(1). This man page is generated from the file which.texinfo. OPTIONS
--all, -a Print all matching executables in PATH, not just the first. --read-alias, -i Read aliases from stdin, reporting matching ones on stdout. This is useful in combination with using an alias for which itself. For example alias which='alias | which -i'. --skip-alias Ignore option `--read-alias', if any. This is useful to explicity search for normal binaries, while using the `--read-alias' option in an alias or function for which. --read-functions Read shell function definitions from stdin, reporting matching ones on stdout. This is useful in combination with using a shell func- tion for which itself. For example: which() { declare -f | which --read-functions $@ } export -f which --skip-functions Ignore option `--read-functions', if any. This is useful to explicity search for normal binaries, while using the `--read-functions' option in an alias or function for which. --skip-dot Skip directories in PATH that start with a dot. --skip-tilde Skip directories in PATH that start with a tilde and executables which reside in the HOME directory. --show-dot If a directory in PATH starts with a dot and a matching executable was found for that path, then print "./programname" rather than the full path. --show-tilde Output a tilde when a directory matches the HOME directory. This option is ignored when which is invoked as root. --tty-only Stop processing options on the right if not on tty. --version,-v,-V Print version information on standard output then exit successfully. --help Print usage information on standard output then exit successfully. RETURN VALUE
Which returns the number of failed arguments, or -1 when no `programname' was given. EXAMPLE
The recommended way to use this utility is by adding an alias (C shell) or shell function (Bourne shell) for which like the following: [ba]sh: which () { (alias; declare -f) | /usr/bin/which --tty-only --read-alias --read-functions --show-tilde --show-dot $@ } export -f which [t]csh: alias which 'alias | /usr/bin/which --tty-only --read-alias --show-dot --show-tilde' This will print the readable ~/ and ./ when starting which from your prompt, while still printing the full path when used from a script: > which q2 ~/bin/q2 > echo `which q2` /home/carlo/bin/q2 BUGS
The HOME directory is determined by looking for the HOME environment variable, which aborts when this variable doesn't exist. Which will consider two equivalent directories to be different when one of them contains a path with a symbolic link. AUTHOR
Carlo Wood <carlo@gnu.org> SEE ALSO
bash(1) WHICH(1)