Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Troubles with pipes, fork, and dup2 Post 302873041 by dano88 on Monday 11th of November 2013 04:04:38 AM
Old 11-11-2013
Firstly, thank you for your answer. But I have one question: what would you do to automate it?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

PIPEs and Named PIPEs (FIFO) Buffer size

Hello! How I can increase or decrease predefined pipe buffer size? System FreeBSD 4.9 and RedHat Linux 9.0 Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jus
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Interprocess communication using pipes and fork

I'm very worried. I have an assignment that is due in 3 weeks, and also tute exercises which I can't seem to understand and work out. Okay, the question: The parent process will convert the command arguments into integer values using atoi() and store them into an integer array which you will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scmay
2 Replies

3. Programming

Understanding the purpose of dup/dup2

I'm having difficulty understanding the purposes of using dup/dup2 when involving forks. for example, if we call fork() once, that is, we are creating a child process. In what cases would we need to use dup or dup2 to duplicate the file descriptors for standard output and standard error? What... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Yifan_Guo
1 Replies

4. Programming

a issue with dup2

Hi, i have in one program such a pice of code ................ static int old_stderr_handle = -1; static int old_stdout_handle = -1; log_handle = open(log_file_name,O_CREAT|O_RDWR,932); old_stderr_handle = dup(STDERR_FILENO); if (dup2(log_handle,STDERR_FILENO) < 0) { //... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vovan
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

dup2 filedescriptor redirecting output

int redirect() { int fd,rc; fd = open("sample.DAT",O_CREAT | O_RDWR , 00777 ); rc = dup2(fd , 1 ) ; close (fd ); return 0; } I used the above to redirect all the cout statements to sample.DAT. process is redirecting the output and I had two questions 1. All stdout/cout statements... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish@123
2 Replies

6. Programming

Implementation of dup2

Hi all,I'm reading <Advanced programming in the UNIX environment>,that book asked the reader to implement a function which has same functions with dup2 without calling fcntl.Could anyone give me a tip?Any help will be appreciated.:) (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: homeboy
8 Replies

7. Programming

C++ socket, fork & pipes

Hello, I'm stuck and this is a matter which I need to resolve quite fast (but I couldn't post in the "Emergency" section); the problem is this : I have created a chat program in which the client sends the sentence to the server and then the server should send it to all the clients connected,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmyyyyy
2 Replies

8. Programming

C, unix, pipes, fork, recursion

Hi, I will try to keep my post as compressed as my title was. I am writing on pseudo code on a recursive function that I want to read from the one-above function-run and then give the result to the function-run down below until a stop is triggered. Example: $ ls -la | grep x | sort In my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tarasque
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Dup2 - for file descriptor opened by a different process

is it possible to duplicate file descriptors(opened by a different process) with the help of dup or dup2. the two process do not share parent child relationship as well. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: replytoshishir
2 Replies

10. Programming

C++ stuck with dup2 and pipe

What this code should do is: there are parent.cpp and child.cpp. Parent will send whatever is in the buffer to child and child will send back whatever received to parent. I do not know what I am doing wrong. I am confused what is missing in the parent and what else I should include into the child.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramono
1 Replies
PURITY(6)                                                          Games Manual                                                          PURITY(6)

NAME
purity - a general purpose purity test SYNOPSIS
/usr/games/purity [ flags ] [ testname ] DESCRIPTION
Purity is an interactive purity test program with a simple, user interface and datafile format. For each test, questions are printed to the your terminal, and you are prompted for an answer to the current question. At a prompt, these are your choices: y Answer "yes" to the question. n Answer "no" to the question. b Backup one question, if you answered it incorrectly, or someone is watching you take the test, and you don't (or do) want to admit a different answer. r Redraw the current question. q Quit the test, and print the current score. ? Print a help screen for the current prompt. k Kill a section of the test. This skips all the questions of the test until the next subject heading. a Toggle answer mode between real answers and obfuscated answers. Real answers print "yes" and "no", while obfuscated answers are "Maybe" and "maybe". Obfuscated answers are preferred if you are shy, and don't want people to be able to read your answers over your shoulder as you take the test. d Toggle dERanGe output. s Print your current score on the test you are taking. l Toggle score logging. At the end of the test, your score is printed out. For most purity tests, lower scores denote more "experience" of the test material. FLAGS
These are the command line flags for the test. -a Show real answers (i.e. "yes" and "no") instead of obfuscated ones (i.e. "Maybe" and "maybe") as you answer the questions. -d PrINt THe tESt in DerANgeD pRInT. -f Take the test in fast mode. Only the questions are printed, and not any other text blocks, like the introdution, subject headers, and the conclusion. -l Take the test without having your score logged. -p Print the test without prompting for answers. This is useful for making hard copies of the tests without having to edit out the prompts by hand. -r Decrypt the test using the Rot 13 algorithm. This is done as a form of "protection", such that if you read a rot13 test and it offends you, it's your own fault. -z zoom through more prompts in large text blocks. The default is to prompt the user for more when a screenful of text has been printed without any user input. DATAFILE FORMAT
The format of the datafiles is a very simple format, intended such that new tests can quickly and easily be converted to run with the test. There are four types of text in a purity test datafile. Each type is contained in a bracket type of punctuation. The definitions are as follows: the styles of text blocks are: { plain text block } [ subject header ] ( test question ) and < conclusion > Plain text blocks are printed out character for character. Subject headers are preceded by their subject numbers, starting at 1, and then printed as text blocks. Questions are preceded by their numbers, and then prompt the user to answer the question, keeping track of the user's current score. Conclusions first calculate and print the user's score for the test, then print out the conclusion as a text block. If you wish to include any of the various bracket punctuation in your text, the backslash ("") character will escape the next character. To print a question with parentheses, you would use the following format: (have you ever written a purity test (like this one)?) the output would be this: 1. have you ever written a purity test (like this one)? and then it would have asked the user for her/his answer. For a generic datafile, use the "sample" datafile for the test. FILES
/var/games/purity.scores the score logfile /usr/share/games/purity/* test data files AUTHOR
Eric Lechner, lechner@ucscb.ucsc.edu 18 December 1989 PURITY(6)