Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Troubles with pipes, fork, and dup2 Post 302872965 by Chubler_XL on Sunday 10th of November 2013 11:29:45 PM
Old 11-11-2013
Looks like another hacker tool masquerading as "Penetration Testing Software".

I can't really see legit reason to automate running this unix through pipes.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

PIPEs and Named PIPEs (FIFO) Buffer size

Hello! How I can increase or decrease predefined pipe buffer size? System FreeBSD 4.9 and RedHat Linux 9.0 Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jus
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Interprocess communication using pipes and fork

I'm very worried. I have an assignment that is due in 3 weeks, and also tute exercises which I can't seem to understand and work out. Okay, the question: The parent process will convert the command arguments into integer values using atoi() and store them into an integer array which you will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scmay
2 Replies

3. Programming

Understanding the purpose of dup/dup2

I'm having difficulty understanding the purposes of using dup/dup2 when involving forks. for example, if we call fork() once, that is, we are creating a child process. In what cases would we need to use dup or dup2 to duplicate the file descriptors for standard output and standard error? What... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Yifan_Guo
1 Replies

4. Programming

a issue with dup2

Hi, i have in one program such a pice of code ................ static int old_stderr_handle = -1; static int old_stdout_handle = -1; log_handle = open(log_file_name,O_CREAT|O_RDWR,932); old_stderr_handle = dup(STDERR_FILENO); if (dup2(log_handle,STDERR_FILENO) < 0) { //... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vovan
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

dup2 filedescriptor redirecting output

int redirect() { int fd,rc; fd = open("sample.DAT",O_CREAT | O_RDWR , 00777 ); rc = dup2(fd , 1 ) ; close (fd ); return 0; } I used the above to redirect all the cout statements to sample.DAT. process is redirecting the output and I had two questions 1. All stdout/cout statements... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish@123
2 Replies

6. Programming

Implementation of dup2

Hi all,I'm reading <Advanced programming in the UNIX environment>,that book asked the reader to implement a function which has same functions with dup2 without calling fcntl.Could anyone give me a tip?Any help will be appreciated.:) (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: homeboy
8 Replies

7. Programming

C++ socket, fork & pipes

Hello, I'm stuck and this is a matter which I need to resolve quite fast (but I couldn't post in the "Emergency" section); the problem is this : I have created a chat program in which the client sends the sentence to the server and then the server should send it to all the clients connected,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmyyyyy
2 Replies

8. Programming

C, unix, pipes, fork, recursion

Hi, I will try to keep my post as compressed as my title was. I am writing on pseudo code on a recursive function that I want to read from the one-above function-run and then give the result to the function-run down below until a stop is triggered. Example: $ ls -la | grep x | sort In my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tarasque
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Dup2 - for file descriptor opened by a different process

is it possible to duplicate file descriptors(opened by a different process) with the help of dup or dup2. the two process do not share parent child relationship as well. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: replytoshishir
2 Replies

10. Programming

C++ stuck with dup2 and pipe

What this code should do is: there are parent.cpp and child.cpp. Parent will send whatever is in the buffer to child and child will send back whatever received to parent. I do not know what I am doing wrong. I am confused what is missing in the parent and what else I should include into the child.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramono
1 Replies
streampipes(5)							File Formats Manual						    streampipes(5)

NAME
streampipes - force all pipes to be STREAMS-based VALUES
Failsafe Default Allowed values Recommended values DESCRIPTION
This tunable determines the type of pipe that is created by the system call. If set to the default value of zero, all pipes created by are normal HP-UX file-system pipes. If the value is non-zero, creates STREAMS-based pipes, and STREAMS modules can be pushed onto the result- ing stream. If this tunable is set to a non-zero value, the and module and driver must be configured in file Who Is Expected to Change This Tunable? Any customer. Restrictions on Changing Changes to this tunable take effect at next reboot. When Should the Tunable Be Turned On? If the customer uses applications that require STREAMS-based pipes, this tunable should be turned on. What Are the Side Effects of Turning the Tunable On? STREAMS-based pipes performance may differ from normal file system pipes. When Should the Tunable Be Turned Off? If the customer does not need the STREAMS-based pipes, this tunable should be turned off. What Are the Side Effects of Turning the Tunable Off? Applications that try to push STREAMS modules onto the pipe will fail. What Other Tunable Should Be Changed at the Same Time as This One? If this tunable is set to a non-zero value, the and module and driver must be configured in the file WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. Tunable Kernel Parameters streampipes(5)