Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers To find the latest modified file in a directory Post 302869409 by alister on Wednesday 30th of October 2013 08:42:37 AM
Old 10-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree10
I am trying to fetch the latest modified file from a directory using the command
find . -type f -exec ls -lt \{\} \+ | head | awk '{print $9}'
To print the name of the last modified file in a directory, you don't need find nor awk:
Code:
ls -t | head -n1

Regards,
Alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to find latest executable in particular directory and start that particular ex

i have a directory in which there are executable files and these files are added at runtime. now i need a shell script which will be called at a certain interval. this shell script should find the latest executable file in that directory and start that executable. care should be taken that once the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kvineeth
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl find directory only if modified in last hour

I want a one liner perl command to find a directory only if the modified time is within the last hour I am running this on windows - and I will define a variable for the result. So for example I want to return value of 1 for the variable if the modified time of d:\test1 is within the last... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the directory modified/created before 4 days

Hi, I have an application which creates some directories while running. I want to delete these directories which are 4 days older. i tried find . type d -mtime +1 -print And it is working fine.. but find . type d -mtime +4 -print is not giving any results which are 4 days... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the latest modified file from the unix server.

hi Friends, In my directory i have some files. I need to find out latest modified file. Please help me. Sreenu. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreenu80
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get the latest modified file name in /home directory?

I only know how to list all sub-directories or files in specified directory. I don't know how to order them by modified date, furthermore, I don't know how to get the top one file in the sorted list. Wish you can do me a favor. Thanks in advance! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crest.boy
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move the latest or older File from one directory to another Directory

I Need help for one requirement, I want to move the latest/Older file in the folder to another file. File have the datetimestamp in postfix. Example: Source Directory : \a destination Directory : \a\b File1 : xy_MMDDYYYYHHMM.txt (xy_032120101456.txt) File2: xy_MMDDYYYYHHMM.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pp_ayyanar
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

find the latest files in multiple directory

I want to get the latest files from multiple directories, d1, d2,d3 and d4 under the parent dierectoy d. can anyone help out with this? thx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shyork2001
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the latest directory and loop through the files and pick the error messages

Hi, I am new to unix and shell scripting,can anybody help me in sctipting a requirement. my requirement is to get the latest directory the name of the directory will be like CSB.monthdate_time stamp like CSB.Sep29_11:16 and CSB.Oct01_16:21. i need to pick the latest directory. in the... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhir_83k
15 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

to pick the latest file modified in a directory

I wan to pick the latest modified file name and redirect it to a file .. ls -tr | tail -1 >file but this is printing file ins side the filename , can anyone help me out (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwakar
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with finding the latest modified version of a file within directories

I am trying to look into multiple directories and pluck out the latest version of a specific file, regardless of where it sits within the directory structure. Ex: The file is a .xls file and could have a depth within the directory of anywhere from 1-5 Working directory - Folder1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: co21ss
6 Replies
Prophet::Replica::prophet(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			    Prophet::Replica::prophet(3pm)

Replica Format
       overview

$URL
	   /<db-uuid>/
	       /replica-uuid
	       /latest-sequence-no
	       /replica-version
	       /cas/records/<substr(sha1,0,1)>/substr(sha1,1,1)/<sha1>
	       /cas/changesets/<substr(sha1,0,1)>/substr(sha1,1,1)/<sha1>
	       /records (optional?)
		   /<record type> (for resolution is actually _prophet-resolution-<cas-key>)
		       /<record uuid> which is a file containing a list of 0 or more rows
			   last-changed-sequence-no : cas key

/changesets.idx

index which has records:
		       each record is : local-replica-seq-no : original-uuid : original-seq-no : cas key

/resolutions/
		   /replica-uuid
		   /latest-sequence-no
		   /cas/<substr(sha1,0,1)>/substr(sha1,1,1)/<sha1>
		   /content (optional?)
		       /_prophet-resolution-<cas-key>	(cas-key == a hash the conflicting change)
			   /<record uuid>  (record uuid == the originating replica)
			       last-changed-sequence-no : <cas key to the content of the resolution>

/changesets.idx
		       index which has records:
			   each record is : local-replica-seq-no : original-uuid : original-seq-no : cas key

Inside the top level directory for the mirror, you'll find a directory named as a hex-encoded UUID.  This directory is the root of the
       published replica. The uuid uniquely identifes the database being replicated.  All replicas of this database will share the same UUID.

Inside the <db-uuid> directory, are a set of files and directories that make up the actual content of the database replica:

"replica-uuid"
	 Contains the replica's hex-encoded UUID.

"replica-version"
	 Contains a single integer that defines the replica format.

The current replica version is 1.

"latest-sequence-no"
	 Contains a single integer, the replica's most recent sequence number.

"cas/records"
       "cas/changesets"
	 The "cas" directory holds changesets and records, each keyed by a hex-encoded hash of the item's content. Inside the "cas" directory,
	 you'll find a two-level deep directory tree of single-character hex digits.  You'll find  the changeset with the sha1 digest
	 "f4b7489b21f8d107ad8df78750a410c028abbf6c" inside "cas/changesets/f/4/f4b7489b21f8d107ad8df78750a410c028abbf6c".

You'll find the record with the sha1 digest "dd6fb674de879a1a4762d690141cdfee138daf65" inside
	 "cas/records/d/d/dd6fb674de879a1a4762d690141cdfee138daf65".

TODO: define the format for changesets and records

"records"
	 Files inside the "records" directory are index files which list off all published versions of a record and the key necessary to retrieve
	 the record from the content-addressed store.

Inside the "records" directory, you'll     warn "Got types ".join(',',@types);find directories named for each "type" in your database.
	 Inside each "type" directory, you'll find a two-level directory tree of single hexadecimal digits. You'll find the record with the type
	 <Foo> and the UUID "29A3CA16-03C5-11DD-9AE0-E25CFCEE7EC4" stored in

records/Foo/2/9/29A3CA16-03C5-11DD-9AE0-E25CFCEE7EC4

The format of record files is:

<unsigned-long-int: last-changed-sequence-no><40 chars of hex: cas key>

The file is sorted in asecnding order by revision id.

"changesets.idx"
	 The "changesets.idx" file lists each changeset in this replica and provides an index into the content-addressed storage to fetch the
	 content of the changeset.

The format of record files is:

<unsigned-long-int: sequence-no><16 bytes: changeset original source uuid><unsigned-long-int: changeset original source sequence no><16 bytes: cas key - sha1 sum of the changeset's content>

The file is sorted in ascending order by revision id.

"resolutions"
	 TODO DOC RESOLUTIONS

BUILD
       Open a connection to the prophet replica source identified by "$self-"url>.

replica_version
       Returns this replica's version.

set_replica_version
       Sets the replica's version to the given integer.

uuid
       Return the replica's UUID

Internals of record handling
   changesets_for_record { uuid => $uuid, type => $type, limit => $int }
       Returns an ordered set of changeset objects for all changesets containing changes to this object.

Note that changesets may include changes to other records

If "limit" is specified, only returns that many changesets (starting from record creation).

perl v5.10.1							    2009-12-22					    Prophet::Replica::prophet(3pm)