Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Populating Lists in Def using Python Post 302869179 by metallica1973 on Tuesday 29th of October 2013 05:54:04 PM
Old 10-29-2013
Populating Lists in Def using Python

Dipping around in python again and need to create a def that will populate a list(content) with the files that os.walk finds from within this directory and then I will re.search through each files looking for content. In learning Python, can someone point me in the right direction. This is what I have so far.

Code:
def list_files ( content=None ):
    if content is None:
        content = []
        for files in os.walk('var/www/html/data/customer/log', topdown=True):
            content.append(files)
            return content

Many thanks in advanced.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

.def file in HP-UX Shell scripting

Hi Pals, I need some information related .def file in HP-Ux shell scripting. What actaully a .def file contains. It is having all definitions of some functions. But what is the relationship between a .def file and shell script. Can anyone give some examples. Thanks in Advance. Best... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manu.vmr
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Populating an Array

Guys, I need to iterate populate an array while going over files in directory. Can someone please tell me syntax I tried this but it isn't working ==> for F in `ls -p "${directory1}" | grep -v "\/"` do cd "${directory2}" cmp "${directory2}"/"${F}" "${directory1}"/"${F}" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Veenak15
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to Create non-duplicate lists from two lists

File_A contains Strings: a b c d File_B contains Strings: a c z Need to have script written in either sh or ksh. Derive resultant files (File_New_A and File_New_B) from lists File_A and File_B where string elements in File_New_A and File_New_B are listed below. Resultant... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlv_99
7 Replies

4. Programming

populating a JList

Hi, I have to create a JList and the items I need to display are store in HashMap table. What would be the easiest way to populate this JList. Basically the items I want to display/show in the JList are the key values of the HashMap. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: arizah
0 Replies

5. Programming

Python: Compare 2 word lists

Hi. I am trying to write a Python programme that compares two different text files which both contain a list of words. Each word has its own line worda wordb wordc I want to compare textfile 2 with textfile 1, and if there's a word in textfile 2 that is NOT in textfile 1, I want to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bloomy
6 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

[Python] Compare 2 lists

Hello, I'm new to the python programming, and I have a question. I have to write a program that prints a receipt for a restaurant. The input is a list which looks like: product1 product3 product8 .... In the other input file there is a list which looks like: product1 coffee 5,00... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dagendy
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Separate Text File into Two Lists Using Python

Hello, I have a pretty simple question, but I am new to Python and am trying to write a simple program. Put simply, I want to take a text file that looks like this: 11111 22222 33333 44444 55555 66666 77777 88888 and produce two lists, one containing the contents of the left column, one the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tyler_92
0 Replies

8. Programming

Python Concatenating 2 Lists

I am just trying to concatenate two lists together, but I am not sure what is wrong with my code, it won't run. Thank you for any help. #!/usr/bin/python # Takes two lists and returns a list that is the concatenation of both of # them. A = B = def list_concat( A, B): print(A) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: totoro125
2 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

KLIBC .def file

I am working on klibc. I need to add a new command in kernel. klibc contains a SYSCALLS.def file which declares functions. Where can I find definition of functions declared in .def file? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vasundhara08
1 Replies
UPDATE-PYTHON-MODULES(8)				      System Manager's Manual					  UPDATE-PYTHON-MODULES(8)

NAME
update-python-modules - byte-compile python modules SYNOPSIS
update-python-modules [options] [package.public [...]] DESCRIPTION
The update-python-modules command is part of the python-support bundle. update-python-modules is responsible for the byte-compilation of python modules. When used in byte-compilation mode, it will byte-compile modules references in the files given on the command line. When used in installation mode, it will byte-compile them once for each installed python version, and will make them available for all of them. At each invocation, with or without arguments, update-python-modules will check for installed python versions, and will build or remove modules according to new or removed versions since the last time it was run. ARGUMENTS
Arguments must be files or directories located in the /usr/share/python-support directory. Depending on their extension, they are treated differently. package.public A file listing public modules to install for each version. These modules must lie in /usr/share/pyshared or /usr/lib/pyshared. package.private A file listing private modules to byte-compile for one Python version. package/ A legacy directory hierarchy of public modules. The C extensions and portions that change with the Python version are to be found in /usr/lib/python-support/pythonX.Y/package/. package.dirs A legacy file listing directories where to find private modules. OPTIONS
-h, --help Show summary of options. -v, --verbose Detail all actions while they are performed. -b, --bytecompile Only accept to work on private modules. When given this option, update-python-modules will fail if passed references to public mod- ules. -i, --install Only accept to work on public modules. When given this option, update-python-modules will fail if passed references to public mod- ules. -c, --clean Clean modules instead of installing them. -a, --rebuild-all Rebuild all private modules. This is necessary when the default python version was changed, for example. -f, --force-rebuild-all Clean all modules (public and private), and rebuild them. FILES
/usr/lib/pymodules/pythonX.Y/ These directories contain the byte-compiled modules for version pythonX.Y. SEE ALSO
/usr/share/doc/python-support/README.gz AUTHOR
Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org>. 18 Feb 2009 UPDATE-PYTHON-MODULES(8)