Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Fedora Newby: How to actually update software?! Post 302866113 by bakunin on Monday 21st of October 2013 10:20:30 AM
Old 10-21-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas
Bakuian - Yes this is very helpful! I've 3 Debian--wheezy-based Linux machines, would something like this work?

Debian Synaptic
Yes. Synaptics is a graphical frontend for the package manager (apt). Instead of typing "apt-get search <packagename>" or something such, you can list all the available packages, filter for a certain one (or some), download and install them, satisfying any dependencies automatically in the process.

Deinstall what you "untarred somewhere" and search for apt-packages for Hadoop.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help for a newby

I am new to using nawk. When I put the following line in script file test1.awk I get the results: { print NR, length($0),NF} >nawk -f test1.awk head.txt 1 63 5 2 2622 188 3 2166 155 4 3192 228 5 2679 192 ..... but if I modify the test1.awk file to look like this: BEGIN {FS = ","}... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: placroix1
2 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

Software Update reporting script

I need a script that gets the output of softwareupdate -al on each machine (the list of available updates) and reports how many updates are needed in total by all the machines on the network, and the results to 4 different recipients. i.e. total patches required = 12 hostname1 =4 patch(es)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glev2005
1 Replies

3. SuSE

update package/software questions

Hi, In SUSE linux, it looks like that I can update the package using YAST or install the package from source. So, which way works better? Also, if i install the package of new version. Do i need to remove/delete the old version package, or I just need to change my environments and keep the old... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jianma
0 Replies
APT-CUDF-GET(8) 						    DOSE Tools							   APT-CUDF-GET(8)

NAME
apt-cudf-get - wrapper for calling apt-get with external solvers SYNOPSIS
apt-cudf-get [arguments] DESCRIPTION
apt-cudf-get is a wrapper that allows to invoke apt-get with external solvers while ignoring apt's pinning. All options are passed on to apt-get. Normally, apt uses so-called pinning to select a candidate version of a package in case there are several versions available. This also holds when calling apt-get with external solvers. However, when it is not possible to find a solution under this constraint, it may be useful to relax pinning and to allow the external solver to choose among all available versions of packages in order to satisfy dependencies, not only those that are selected by the pinning. This is precisely what apt-cudf-get does. Note that, when using an external solver, the proposed solution may contain any available version of the packages that are given as arguments to install on the command line without specifying a version qualifier. For example apt-cudf-get --solver aspcud install ocaml may propose to install any available version of ocaml, while apt-cudf-get --solver aspcud install ocaml=4.01.0 will only propose to install ocaml in version 4.01.0 AUTHOR
Pietro Abate and Roberto Di Cosmo BUGS
Not all types of arguements to apt are correctly treated by this wrapper, in particular not the +pkg and -pkg shorthands for installation and removal requests. SEE ALSO
apt-get(8), apt-cudf(1), apt-cudf.conf(5), update-cudf-solvers(8), README.cudf-solvers <file:///usr/share/doc/apt-cudf/README.cudf-solvers>, README.Debian <file:///usr/share/doc/apt-cudf/README.Debian> dose3 3.0.2 2012-06-25 APT-CUDF-GET(8)