Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Fedora Newby: How to actually update software?! Post 302865793 by sea on Saturday 19th of October 2013 07:18:07 PM
Old 10-19-2013
Have a google on apt-get, the package management software for Debian-Based systems.

If you need to create a package that doesnt exist in the repos (/etc/apt/sources.list ; with like: apt-get search PACKAGENAME) have a look at: https://wiki.debian.org/HowToPackageForDebian

Hope this helps

NOTE: The syntax *should* apply, but me used to use RedHat-Based systems.

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help for a newby

I am new to using nawk. When I put the following line in script file test1.awk I get the results: { print NR, length($0),NF} >nawk -f test1.awk head.txt 1 63 5 2 2622 188 3 2166 155 4 3192 228 5 2679 192 ..... but if I modify the test1.awk file to look like this: BEGIN {FS = ","}... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: placroix1
2 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

Software Update reporting script

I need a script that gets the output of softwareupdate -al on each machine (the list of available updates) and reports how many updates are needed in total by all the machines on the network, and the results to 4 different recipients. i.e. total patches required = 12 hostname1 =4 patch(es)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glev2005
1 Replies

3. SuSE

update package/software questions

Hi, In SUSE linux, it looks like that I can update the package using YAST or install the package from source. So, which way works better? Also, if i install the package of new version. Do i need to remove/delete the old version package, or I just need to change my environments and keep the old... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jianma
0 Replies
DEBGET(1)						   Debian-goodies documentation 						 DEBGET(1)

NAME
debget - Fetch a .deb for a package in APT's database SYNOPSIS
debget package [package ...] DESCRIPTION
debget fetches a .deb for one or more packages from an Debian mirror. It uses apt-get(1) to find out the URL so it will download the same version from the same server as apt-get would do. The .deb will be downloaded with curl(1) and stored in your current working directory. KNOWN BUGS
debget will not work for packages that are available in apt-get's cache. If you need that functionality please use the .download option in aptitude. AUTHOR
Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> This manpage was written by Frank Lichtenheld <frank@lichtenheld.de>. COPYRIGHT AND LICENCE
Copyright (C) 2001 Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org>. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option) any later version. On Debian systems, a copy of the GNU General Public License may be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. SEE ALSO
apt-get(1), curl(1) perl v5.14.2 2012-03-21 DEBGET(1)