Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script that generates another shell script Post 302864065 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 15th of October 2013 08:08:23 PM
Old 10-15-2013
Homework items can only be posted in the Homework and Classwork Forum and must include the completely filled out template required when posting homework.

This thread is closed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Run a shell script from Perl script in Parent shell?

Hi Perl/UNIX experts, I have a problem in running a shell script from my perl script (auto.pl). I run the perl script using perl auto.pl from the shell prompt The shell script picks the files in "input" folder and procesess it. The shell script blue.sh has this code. export... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: hifake
16 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

invoking a shell script inside cgi shell script

Hi, I have an HTML form through which I get some text as input. i need to run a shell script say script.sh inside a perl-cgi script named main_cgi.sh on the form input. I want to write the contents of the form in a file and then perform some command line operations like grep, cat on the text... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smriti_shridhar
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help creating a shell that generates another shell

hi all, i'm trying to create a shell script that browse files in a directory and generates another shell script based on these files. for ex: /tmp/files/ is the directory i want to browse and it has 2 files file1.sh and file2.sh. now my shell script should browse /tmp/files/ and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: adshocker
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use ssh execute other shell script on other host (shell script include nohup)?

i want use ssh on the host01 to execute autoexec.sh on the host02 like following : host01> ssh host02 autoexec.sh autoexec.sh include nohup command like follwing : nohup /home/jack/deletedata.sh & after i execute ssh host02 autoexec.sh one the host01. i can't found deletedata.sh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: orablue
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

call another shell script and pass parameters to that shell script

Hi, I basically have 2 shell scripts. One is a shell script will get the variable value from the user. The variable is nothing but the IP of the remote system. Another shell script is a script that does the job of connecting to the remote system using ssh. This uses a expect utility in turn. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunrexstar
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Correct shell script to Call One shell script from another shell script

Hi All, I have new for shell scripting. Problem : I have one scrip at serv1 and path of server is /apps/dev/provimage/scripts and script name:extract_ancillary.bat. I need to call this script at server2(my working server) and execute at server2 . Please let me know how to build the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vineeta Nigam
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to pass shell script variable to awk command in same shell script

I have a shell script (.sh) and I want to pass a parameter value to the awk command but I am getting exception, please assist. diff=$1$2.diff id=$2 new=new_$diff echo "My id is $1" echo "I want to sync for user account $id" ##awk command I am using is as below cat $diff | awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashunayak
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to write Config shell script to pass variables in master shell script?

Dear Unix gurus, We have a config shell script file which has 30 variables which needs to be passed to master unix shell script that invokes oracle database sessions. So those 30 variables need to go through the database sessions (They are inputs) via a shell script. one of the variable name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dba1981
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write config shell script to pass variables in master shell script?

Dear Unix gurus, We have a config shell script file which has 30 variables which needs to be passed to master unix shell script that invokes oracle database sessions. So those 30 variables need to go through the database sessions (They are inputs) via a shell script. one of the variable name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dba1981
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell script newbie- how to generate service log from shell script

Hi, I am totally a newbie to any programming languages and I just started an entry level job in an IT company. One of my recent tasks is to create a script that is able to show the log file of linux service (i.e. ntpd service) lets say, if I run my script ./test.sh, the output should be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiaogeji
3 Replies
evmtemplate(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						    evmtemplate(4)

NAME
evmtemplate - Event Manager template file SYNOPSIS
event { name event_name format format_specifier priority priority i18n_catalog i18n_cat i18n_set_id i18n_set i18n_msg_id i18n_msg var { name variable_name type variable_type value variable_value } } DESCRIPTION
A template event is a description of an event that is held centrally by EVM. The template is used for the following purposes: To register the event with the EVM daemon, so that it will allow the event to be posted. To centralize event information. This makes it easy to review and maintain details such as the associated message text and the event priority, and minimizes the amount of information that must be hard-coded into an application. On startup, and each time the evmreload -d command is run, the EVM daemon reads all valid event template files stored in the template directory tree rooted at /usr/share/evm/templates, or in any directory tree linked to that directory, including the local template tree rooted at /var/evm/adm/templates. There is no limit to the number of template files that can be installed in the tree, or to the number of templates that can be included in each file. Template file names must end with the suffix .evt, and the files must be owned by root or bin, and must have permissions of 0400, 0600, 0440 or 0640 to be recognized. If template files are added, deleted or modified while the daemon is running, the evmreload -d command should be used to instruct the daemon to reconfigure itself. Refer to the evmreload(8) reference page for more information. Every template event must contain a name data item with at least two components. A template typically also contains constant items such as the event priority and the message format string. When a client posts an event, it must include in the posted event a name with at least three components. The posted event also typically contains any applicable variable data along with environmental items such as a timestamp and the name of the posting system. When the EVM daemon receives a posted event, it searches its template database for the template event whose name best matches the name in the posted event. If it cannot find a matching template, the daemon rejects the posting attempt. Otherwise, the daemon merges the data items held in the two versions of the event, yielding a merged event which it distributes to subscribers. A template event name does not have to be identical to the name of a posted event to be considered a match. If it has fewer name compo- nents than the posted event, a template event is still considered a match if all components in the template name exactly match their equiv- alent components in the posted name. If the template name is longer than the name of the posted event however, it cannot be a match. In determining the template that best matches the name of the posted event, the daemon selects the matching template with the most components. The following table shows some examples of event name matching. In the final example, the template does not match the posted event because the template has too many components. --------------------------------------------------------------- Posted Name Template Name Match? --------------------------------------------------------------- myco.myprod.env myco.myprod.env Yes myco.myprod.env.temp.high.70 myco.myprod.env Yes myco.myotherprod myco.myprod No myco.myotherprod myco.myotherprod.start No --------------------------------------------------------------- The syntax of an event template file is identical to the syntax of a file given as input to the evmpost command. The following keywords may be specified in a template file: This keyword introduces an event group. The body of the group is delimited by braces. Names the tem- plate event. The name must be made up of two or more components containing only alphanumeric and underscore (_) characters, and separated by dot (.) characters. Event format text. The format_specifier is a string that will be used to produce a formatted message for display if the event is passed through the evmshow(1) command, the sysman(8) event viewer, or the EvmEventFormat(3) library function. If a format_specifier contains no special characters, it is displayed as the event's message text. For example, if evmshow encoun- ters an event containing the following simple format_specifier, it displays the string exactly as specified: EVM logger: Logger started If the format_specifier contains variable-specifier in the form $variable_name, and either the posted event or the template event contains a variable with that name, the variable_value will be included in the formatted output in place of the variable_specifier. If no such variable is present, the variable_specifier is included in the output. For example, if an event contains a variable called logname and the format_specifier: EVM logger: Started eventlog $logname then evmshow might display the event as: EVM logger: Started eventlog /var/evm/evmlog/evmlog.20000228 If the format_specifier contains a data-item-specifier in the form @item_name, the data-item-specifier is replaced with the value of the corresponding data item from the event. For example, if an event contains a variable called message and the format_specifier is: EVM user msg (@user_name): $message Then evmshow might display the event as: EVM user msg (steve): Engineering group is off-site today If the data item is not present in the event, a hyphen character (-) is output in its place. An @ character that is not associated with a valid item name is unchanged in the output. Any characters in the format_specifier that are not part of a variable_name or data-item-specifier are output unchanged. If no format_specifier is supplied in either the template file or the posted event, a default event message is used when the event is formatted for display. Indicates the importance of the event, but does not affect the order of event distribution. The priority must be an integer value in the range 0 (lowest) to 700. See the EvmEvent(5) reference page for the meanings of specific priority values. The name of an I18N catalog file holding text strings to be displayed in place of the strings contained in the event. This item is used for internationalizing events. If it is omitted, the strings contained in the event will be used when the event is formatted for display. Refer to the Common Desktop Environment: Programmer's Guide for more information. Identifies the message set within the i18n_cat to be used for translation of all internationalized strings in the event. This item is ignored if no i18n_cat is supplied. Identifies the I18N catalog message to be used in place of the format data item when the event is formatted for display. This item is ignored if no i18n_cat is supplied. If an i18n_set has been specified, the i18n_msg must refer to a mes- sage identifier within the given set. If the catalog is missing, or if the i18n_set or i18n_msg values do not refer to a message in the catalog, the event's format data item is used. This keyword introduces a variable group, with the body of the group being delimited by braces. An event may include any number of variable groups. Although actual variable values are most likely to be included in the posted version of an event, and will override the values spec- ified in the template version, it is usually helpful to include the variables in the template event as well, specifiying dummy val- ues such as zero, to provide documentation of the expected contents. For example, the template version will be seen if the results of an evmwatch -i command are piped into evmshow -d. The following keywords are recognized in a variable group: The name must be made up of alphanumeric and underscore characters. The type of the variable item. See the EvmEvent(5) reference page for a list of types. All EVM variable types may be specified except for OPAQUE. If this keyword is omitted a type of STRING is assumed. Value for the variable. A value must be specified in the tem- plate, but usually should be overridden by the value in the posted version of the event. Values supplied in the template should be default or nonnormal values that will be recognized as incomplete when the event is interpreted. For STRING variables, the i18n_msg identifies the I18N catalog message to be used in place of the variable_value when the event is formatted for display. This item is ignored if no i18n_cat is supplied for the event. If an i18n_set has been specified, the i18n_msg must refer to a message identi- fier within the given set. If the catalog is missing, or if the i18n_set or i18n_msg values do not refer to a message in the cata- log, the variable_value is used. Any items specified outside an event group are global items, which will be included in each fol- lowing template that does not include them explicitly. NOTES
If you are concerned with allowing your file to be used on other systems that support EVM in the future, you should use the built-in macro @SYS_VP@ in place of the first two components (sys.unix) of the name of any system event. This will make it unnecessary to change the file if the other system uses a different event name prefix. EXAMPLES
The following file is an example of an event template file. # My example event file priority 200 event { name myco.myapp.env.humid format "myapp: Humidity is $humidity" var { name humidity type INT16 value 0 } } event { name myco.myapp.env.temp.normal format "myapp: Temperature is normal ($temp)" var { name temp type FLOAT value 0.0 } } event { name myco.myapp.env.temp.high priority 500 format "myapp: Temperature exceeds 80F ($temp)" var { name temp type FLOAT value 0.0 } } event { name myco.myapp.env.app_terminated priority 300 format "myapp: Production monitoring terminated - code $exit_code" var { name exit_code type INT16 value 0 } } FILES
The root of the directory tree containing system event template files. The root of the directory tree containing local event template files. This directory is accessed from the system template directory through a symbolic link. SEE ALSO
Commands: evmd(8), evmpost(1), evmshow(1), sysman(8) Routines: EvmEventCreate(3), EvmEventDump(3), EvmEventFormat(3), EvmEventPost(3), EvmItemSet(3) Files: evmdaemon.conf(4) Event Management: EVM(5) EVM Events: EvmEvent(5) Common Desktop Environment: Programmer's Guide System Administration delim off evmtemplate(4)