Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Are /home partitions worth it? Post 302863841 by maerlyngb on Tuesday 15th of October 2013 08:08:25 AM
Old 10-15-2013
Thanks sea.

I'm using Ubuntu at the moment but I'm thinking about switching to Debian once I have more of an idea what I'm doing but I need to do some more exploring first. I do use my computer for work but I doubt my demands require some of the more 'exotic' mount points as you pointed out.

I've been convinced. When I reinstall, I'll create /home in a separate partition.

I posted this same question in another forum and the replies didn't seem to be as informative and thoughtful as the replies I got here. Thanks a lot.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Java - is it worth learning?

I have the opportunituy of learning basics/intermediate jave for 600 Euro. Is this worth learning?? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is learning Unix worth it?

Hello. I am a comp sci major and am forced to take a intro to Unix class. So far i am loving it. I was wondering is it useful to learn more off on my own? Will it have any use to me when i get a job after school is done? Same applies to Perl Sed and Awk? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: smiledk1
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is Unix Worth it?

I have been wanting to get much deaper into the world of computers for quite some time. I know a lot of c++, and plenty of website programming, and decided that the next step should be Unix. But here's the thing - I know nothing about Unix. I installed it and everything, but it just seemed like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GuyWithAPen
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do i get only last 5 minute worth of data

I have a text file called 'tomcat_temp_out'. I want to get only last 5 minute worth of data from this file and redirect those data into another fule. Could you please help to work on this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivanete
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Make another set of root(/), /boot, /home and other partitions?

Hello, As a purely learning purpose I am trying to make another set of partitions along my existing Ubuntu11.10 box. The reason to do this partition is to try a new Linux system by myself following "Linux From Scratch" (LFS). Because the instruction of LFS seems for very advanced user (I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is this system worth?

So my family is cleaning out our house and my dad stumbled on a Unix system with Unigraphix installed on it, and he remembers that it was 1 of 6 computers in a set that he used at a tool and dye machine shop where he worked. He said that the computer by itself with the monitor was $20,000! I was... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: NVOtosReborn
8 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Is M.Sc (FOSS) worth doing?

Recently while reading an linux magazine I understood that FOSS (Free or open source software) is gaining momentum.. And in my home town there is an reputed university which offers M.Sc online program on FOSS. The course covers: INTRODUCTION TO COMPUTING, PHILOSOPHY AND PRACTICE OF FOSS,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun_Linux
4 Replies

8. Programming

Is C worth the effort?

Hello guys, I have a little question. I think about learning c or c++ because im very interessted in low Level programming. And because i love Unix Too i thought C would be the better choice since Most it Done in c. Or should i learn c++? Because C++ has all this nice Features like oop and... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dryPants
9 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Are certifications worth it?

I have just been on RedHat SA 3 training course (4 days) and sat exams EX200 (RHCSA) and EX300 (RHCE) The daft thing was that politics meant I wasn't allowed to take courses SA 1 or 2. So I learnt about stuff I would never use (SELinux; iSCSI; NFS Kerberos encrypted with user specific access... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbatte1
22 Replies
SYSTEMD-GPT-AUTO-GENERATOR(8)				    systemd-gpt-auto-generator				     SYSTEMD-GPT-AUTO-GENERATOR(8)

NAME
systemd-gpt-auto-generator - Generator for automatically discovering and mounting root, /home and /srv partitions, as well as discovering and enabling swap partitions, based on GPT partition type GUIDs. SYNOPSIS
/lib/systemd/system-generators/systemd-gpt-auto-generator DESCRIPTION
systemd-gpt-auto-generator is a unit generator that automatically discovers root, /home, /srv and swap partitions and creates mount and swap units for them, based on the partition type GUIDs of GUID partition tables (GPT). It implements the Discoverable Partitions Specification[1]. Note that this generator has no effect on non-GPT systems, or where the directories under the mount points are already non-empty. Also, on systems where the units are explicitly configured (for example, listed in fstab(5)), the units this generator creates are overridden, but additional implicit dependencies might be created. This generator will only look for root partitions on the same physical disk the EFI System Partition (ESP) is located on. It will only look for the other partitions on the same physical disk the root file system is located on. These partitions will not be searched on systems where the root file system is distributed on multiple disks, for example via btrfs RAID. systemd-gpt-auto-generator is useful for centralizing file system configuration in the partition table and making manual configuration in /etc/fstab or suchlike unnecessary. This generator looks for the partitions based on their partition type GUID. The following partition type GUIDs are identified: Table 1. Partition Type GUIDs +-------------------------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ |Partition Type GUID | Name | Explanation | +-------------------------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ |44479540-f297-41b2-9af7-d131d5f0458a | Root Partition (x86) | On 32-bit x86 systems, the first x86 | | | | root partition on the disk the EFI | | | | ESP is located on is mounted to the | | | | root directory /. | +-------------------------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ |4f68bce3-e8cd-4db1-96e7-fbcaf984b709 | Root Partition (x86-64) | On 64-bit x86 systems, the first | | | | x86-64 root partition on the disk | | | | the EFI ESP is located on is mounted | | | | to the root directory /. | +-------------------------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ |69dad710-2ce4-4e3c-b16c-21a1d49abed3 | Root Partition (32-bit ARM) | On 32-bit ARM systems, the first ARM | | | | root partition on the disk the EFI | | | | ESP is located on is mounted to the | | | | root directory /. | +-------------------------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ |b921b045-1df0-41c3-af44-4c6f280d3fae | Root Partition (64-bit ARM) | On 64-bit ARM systems, the first ARM | | | | root partition on the disk the EFI | | | | ESP is located on is mounted to the | | | | root directory /. | +-------------------------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ |993d8d3d-f80e-4225-855a-9daf8ed7ea97 | Root Partition (Itanium/IA-64) | On Itanium systems, the first | | | | Itanium root partition on the disk | | | | the EFI ESP is located on is mounted | | | | to the root directory /. | +-------------------------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ |933ac7e1-2eb4-4f13-b844-0e14e2aef915 | Home Partition | The first home partition on the disk | | | | the root partition is located on is | | | | mounted to /home. | +-------------------------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ |3b8f8425-20e0-4f3b-907f-1a25a76f98e8 | Server Data Partition | The first server data partition on | | | | the disk the root partition is | | | | located on is mounted to /srv. | +-------------------------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ |0657fd6d-a4ab-43c4-84e5-0933c84b4f4f | Swap | All swap partitions located on the | | | | disk the root partition is located | | | | on are enabled. | +-------------------------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ |c12a7328-f81f-11d2-ba4b-00a0c93ec93b | EFI System Partition (ESP) | The first ESP located on the disk | | | | the root partition is located on is | | | | mounted to /boot or /efi, see below. | +-------------------------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ The /home and /srv partitions may be encrypted in LUKS format. In this case, a device mapper device is set up under the names /dev/mapper/home and /dev/mapper/srv. Note that this might create conflicts if the same partition is listed in /etc/crypttab with a different device mapper device name. Mount and automount units for the EFI System Partition (ESP) are generated on EFI systems. The ESP is mounted to /boot, unless a mount point directory /efi exists, in which case it is mounted there. Since this generator creates an automount unit, the mount will only be activated on-demand, when accessed. On systems where /boot (or /efi if it exists) is an explicitly configured mount (for example, listed in fstab(5)) or where the /boot (or /efi) mount point is non-empty, no mount units are generated. When using this generator in conjunction with btrfs file systems, make sure to set the correct default subvolumes on them, using btrfs subvolume set-default. systemd-gpt-auto-generator implements systemd.generator(7). SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemd.mount(5), systemd.swap(5), systemd-fstab-generator(8), systemd-cryptsetup@.service(8), cryptsetup(8), fstab(5), btrfs(8) NOTES
1. Discoverable Partitions Specification https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/DiscoverablePartitionsSpec/ systemd 237 SYSTEMD-GPT-AUTO-GENERATOR(8)